Tinting & ClearBra in Boston Area - Any recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting & ClearBra in Boston Area - Any recommendations??

Title says it all... does anyone have a good shop to recommend to have both tinting and ClearBra/RockBlock/StonGard done at the same place? Also quasi-interested in undercoating, but I have to think on that one a little bit. Talked to the salesman yesterday about it and he says Acura absolutely does not recommend it. Newer cars have a good amount of protection already, and if it's applied wrong it can do more damage than good,
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Luke 1:37

Eastern Glass Tinting is a good place to go. The guy has been tinting windows for 20+ years.

www.tint-it.com
Old 01-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by virtualbong
Eastern Glass Tinting is a good place to go. The guy has been tinting windows for 20+ years.

www.tint-it.com
Just contacted them via email for a quote, thanks! Have you used them personally or know someone who has?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Great place in Natick...

Theresa,
Be sure to check out Wheel Dynamix in Natick before you make your final decision.

http://www.wheeldynamix.com/paint.php

I researched quite a number of places in MA and NH before I decided to go with these guys and am very glad I did. The owner, I believe his name was Jeff, impressed me in fact he was one of the first installers of the paint protection film years ago when 3M first came out with it. He and his one employee have been to numerous 3M installer certification classes (getting the install right is really an art and you need a good artist!) and have done hundreds of cars. They even do alot of work for Boston Red Sox players (David Ortiz recently had his car done there)

We ended up having our Subaru Outback done which is apparently an extremely difficult install (each car is assigned a install difficulty rating by 3M and the outback was the toughest.) I believe the TSX is much easier. The end result came out very, very nice. They did a great job on it.

As far as cost, you can't really beat them either. They're very competitive, stand behind the product and are very professional. Man, I sound like an advertisement for them! But I guess I an just very impressed with an impressive operation overall - something you really don't find that much these days!!

Lastly, be sure you get the 3M branded product. Other companies sell a similar product by Avery Dennison Corp. which is not as high quality. The Avery product will yellow over time from sunlight exposure where the 3M product will not. Also, the 3M product has a glossy finish making it much more invisible on the car whereas the Avery product has more of a grainy texture making it more visible.

Beware that some Acura dealers sell a product called 'Autobahnd' which is the clear bra product by Avery Dennison. Don't have them install this - be sure to go with the 3M one.

Hope this is helpful - we love the product on the Subaru and our TSX especially in these New England winters. It's great to "take a hit" from driving behind a sand truck on the highway then simply wipe off the mess when you get home with no residual scratches or dings!

Happy shopping!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by t_in_maine
Just contacted them via email for a quote, thanks! Have you used them personally or know someone who has?
I have used them for my Integra and TSX. My bro has used them and my friends G used them. This was all for window tinting, but he also does paint protection. He actually suggests using Llumars new paint protection film. He says that its better than 3M because it protects better and it has a clearer film so its even tougher to see where the film was put on the car. Either way, the 3M or Llumar would be a good choice.

Also know that he hand cuts everything to fit and doesn't purchase premade films. At least that's what he does for window tinting. Not sure about paint protections films.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:03 PM

You can also check out www.tint-king.com in Billerica. The guys there were taught by the guy from Eastern Glass Tinting.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

All very great info... thanks guys!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:11 PM

All very great info... thanks guys!
btw. why are you coming all the way down to the Boston area to do this? Are there no places up in Maine?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

btw. why are you coming all the way down to the Boston area to do this? Are there no places up in Maine?
There probably are, but there are no Acura dealers in Maine. I've just ordered my TSX from Acura of Boston and will take delivery Mid-April. At that point, there will likely still be rocks/dirt/sand on the roads and I don't want to drive my car 400+ miles without the paint protection. And, since there are qualified installers right there in Boston, I'd rather have the tint, etc. done at a place that I can research first. There isn't a lot of sun up here, and not a lot of need for window tint. A lot that have it have installed it themselves . Paint film is virtually an unheard of concept here for most people, so I wouldn't trust anyone here to do that.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Professional Newbie

I bought my car from Acura of Boston, and I had my short shift and wheels/tires done by Wheel Dynamix. I highly recommend both places
Old 01-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
I bought my car from Acura of Boston, and I had my short shift and wheels/tires done by Wheel Dynamix. I highly recommend both places
So you had a good buying experience with Acura of Boston? And specific salesman?

@ me for hijacking my own thread! hahahaha
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Professional Newbie

I bought my car almost 2 years ago, the salesman has long since gone. However, the service and sales managers have both been there for quite some time and they are very helpful and understanding with the issues I come back to them with. Definitely not the kind of dealership where they sell you the car and expect to never see you again. However I'm not sure how much that would matter to somebody living in Maine.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Advanced

I had my car tinted at tint-it.com bout4 months ago and i have to say they did a great job. they charge me 200 bux for all 5 windows. the only bad thing is I notice after 2 weeks i put down my back windows and notice it was coming down kinda slow. it was that rubber piece between the window that was slowing it down. i guess as he was cleaning it (he used some kind of hard sqweegy to clean between the window and that rubber thing) he pushed that piece down. so that was the only bad thing bout it. overall he does a good job....btw he free hand cuts the tint. and he doesnt care what percentage tint u get versus some other place they want to keep it legal..... my
Old 01-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by theone55699
I had my car tinted at tint-it.com bout4 months ago and i have to say they did a great job. they charge me 200 bux for all 5 windows. the only bad thing is I notice after 2 weeks i put down my back windows and notice it was coming down kinda slow. it was that rubber piece between the window that was slowing it down. i guess as he was cleaning it (he used some kind of hard sqweegy to clean between the window and that rubber thing) he pushed that piece down. so that was the only bad thing bout it. overall he does a good job....btw he free hand cuts the tint. and he doesnt care what percentage tint u get versus some other place they want to keep it legal..... my
He doesn't care, but he makes you sign a paper that states that he is not responsible for any tickets, etc...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:54 PM
4th Gear

salesperson at acura of boston

Hi t_in_maine,

Just curious - Acura of Boston has quite a few 2006 tsx's listed as new inventory on its website. Did they not have what you're looking for on the lot, or do they have more listed on the website than the dealership actually has?

Thanks and enjoy the tsx in April! At least the new car will miss out on a lot of this season's snow, well most of it anyway.

dodo
Old 01-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dodobird13
Hi t_in_maine,

Just curious - Acura of Boston has quite a few 2006 tsx's listed as new inventory on its website. Did they not have what you're looking for on the lot, or do they have more listed on the website than the dealership actually has?

Thanks and enjoy the tsx in April! At least the new car will miss out on a lot of this season's snow, well most of it anyway.

dodo
They do have a lot, not the RBP, AT, Nav. I'm ordering. Also, I don't even WANT the car until April for two reasons a) as you mentioned, to avoid the winter weather. I don't want to have to buy snow tires right yet in addition to dropping $30,000 on a new car. And B) I work a night-job bartending to be able to put down enough of a down payment to keep my monthly payment where I want them, and I won't be ready financially until April. But thanks!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
I bought my car almost 2 years ago, the salesman has long since gone. However, the service and sales managers have both been there for quite some time and they are very helpful and understanding with the issues I come back to them with. Definitely not the kind of dealership where they sell you the car and expect to never see you again. However I'm not sure how much that would matter to somebody living in Maine.
There's not an Acura dealer in Maine at all, so I'll have to go SOMEWHERE for service. I travel to Mass/CT quite a few times a year, so hopefully most of my service work can be timed with my scheduled trips.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:25 AM

They do have a lot, not the RBP, AT, Nav. I'm ordering. Also, I don't even WANT the car until April for two reasons a) as you mentioned, to avoid the winter weather. I don't want to have to buy snow tires right yet in addition to dropping $30,000 on a new car. And B) I work a night-job bartending to be able to put down enough of a down payment to keep my monthly payment where I want them, and I won't be ready financially until April. But thanks!
Now that's what I call loving a car. You'll go to work 2 jobs just to have it!

You'll have to come to the next Acura meet in the Spring. It'll probably be right when you pick up your baby.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Now that's what I call loving a car. You'll go to work 2 jobs just to have it!

You'll have to come to the next Acura meet in the Spring. It'll probably be right when you pick up your baby.
That's right, every CENT of my bartending job goes into my savings. Just put my $1,000 deposit last Friday to order. Expected delivery date is 4/17. And when is the meet???