Tinting Advice on TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting Advice on TSX

Would any of you recommend the tinting that's done at the dealership? There is a place in Houston that does the "Formula One" tint that's been boasted about on the boards. I'm torn between going to them or the dealership. My biggest concern is that the tint might interfere with the blue tooth or other capabilites of the car. Can anyone give their experiences on this. BTW, I bought the car in mid-Ocotober and it's absoultely incredible! A fun car to drive!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Cruisin'

Follow-UP

FYI: My preference would be to have the tint done at the dealer but I won't compromise my bluetooth if the dealer tint weakens it. If that's the case I'd rather do the non-dealer option.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:47 AM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by tsx_houston
FYI: My preference would be to have the tint done at the dealer but I won't compromise my bluetooth if the dealer tint weakens it. If that's the case I'd rather do the non-dealer option.
Your phone would be in the car and you will be in the car, so it will not compromise it.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
tint does not compromise bluetooth nor navigation. Mine still works perfectly
Old 12-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

Thank You!

Thank you for the advice!
Old 12-09-2006, 12:32 PM
slr
Advanced

Would any of you recommend the tinting that's done at the dealership? There is a place in Houston that does the "Formula One" tint that's been boasted about on the boards. I'm torn between going to them or the dealership. My biggest concern is that the tint might interfere with the blue tooth or other capabilites of the car. Can anyone give their experiences on this. BTW, I bought the car in mid-Ocotober and it's absoultely incredible! A fun car to drive!
i'm in houston and I did a mistake by getting a window tint from the dealership... the brand that they got is madico or something. little bubbles everywhere the still feeling hot during summer. I decided to get a new tint. I got a huper optic.. little pricy, but worth it. It is in hillcroft and westheimer, the place called executive motoring..
Old 12-09-2006, 01:27 PM
05' NHB TSX

If you use the dealership to get tint, you're using a middleman. That just means more money they will be charging you. All the acura dealership that offers tinting just use an outside tinter. There is no "Acura certified tinter". Cut the middleman out and just go directly to the tinter.

If you feel like you want to use the one they recommend, ask the service or sale rep who they use for tinting and go directly to them.

As far as choosing the types. DO not get the non-metallic/non-ceramic. These will turn purple and fade in 3-5 yrs. They also suck at rejecting heat. I have the metallic on my navi tsx and have not seen a signal interference. I think I did lose some AM reception but I don't care about AM. If you get ceramic type, this is probably the best but don't be scare to go with metallic.

As far as brands, I recommend Formula One brand because its very scratch resistance. I had friends with TSX/TL who had llumar or other brand and they started having fine scratches due to the hard rubber inside the door. The best solution is to have moleskin installed but that can double your tint install price if your tinter offers it. I had my car without moleskin for almost 2 yrs and no scratches (knock on fake wood).
Old 12-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Advanced

when i bought mine i asked the dealer about tinting and he said they send all their tint jobs to one of like 2 or 3 different shops. he gave me the names and i was on my way. he said they don't charge any more by being a "middleman", but did say it would be faster to deal directly with the tint shop.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Racer

no tint should interfere with your cell phone and bluetooth. Metallic relfective tints may possibly interfere with navigation.

Get a dye based or ceramic tint and you will be fine. Also, if you have tan or quartz interior, the tint will appear to be lighter than it is. Vice versa, if your interior is ebony, the tint will appear to be darker.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:06 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tints with Metal WILL interfere with your navigation.
Dye tints are the cheapest and they will most likely turn purple.
Moleskins are good and they do prevent scratches.
Some good brands of tint include,
Llumar
Solarguard
Huper optick
Formula One.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Tint in Houston

I bought my car at Sterling McCall and had it tinted at the Formula One shop just South of the dealership on 59. It is called Xpert tint. This is the second car I had tinted there and they do a decent job. I also had them install the extended clear bra. That I wasn't as happy about since they left more bubbles under the bra than I had hoped. The owner actually came to my house to look at the car and said that any bubbles that didn't come out on their own he would come back and fix. He also agreed to throw in headlight shields at no cost. I haven't called him back yet. Most of the bubbles have disappeared over time. I got the 35% Pinnacle all around including a visor on the windshield. If you search on my posts you will see some pics of the car. I really like the tint. This is the firth car I've had tinted and this stuff is the best so far and no interference with the navi.

We had my girl friends car tinted at Executive Motoring on Hilcroft and they did not so such a great job. Their work area is out in the open and make for a dust problem. She had a lot of dust trapped inside the back window. Kind of hard to see it until the tint cures. They did offer to redo it but we didn't want them tearing out the tint in the back window and possibly messing up the defroster or antenna. In reality it is not that bad and who looks that closely at the rear window anyway?

If you want I'm PM you the name of the Formula One owner and maybe use me as a referral. He did both the tint and bra as a "package" deal. But yes it was still expensive. He has some exclusive deal with Formula one and his shops (he has two) are the only ones in town authorized to use it.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Summer is Coming

Check out this thread.... Post #10 and 12. #12 has pics of my car.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31332
Old 12-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slr
i'm in houston and I did a mistake by getting a window tint from the dealership... the brand that they got is madico or something. little bubbles everywhere the still feeling hot during summer. I decided to get a new tint. I got a huper optic.. little pricy, but worth it. It is in hillcroft and westheimer, the place called executive motoring..
they don't give out lifetime warranty? I thought I have it from dealership?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:13 PM
slr
Advanced

Originally Posted by kyotousa
they don't give out lifetime warranty? I thought I have it from dealership?
u mean the tint from the dealership? yea there's a lifetime warranty.. i already went to the dealer twice to redo my tint, but.. 1st time they put different tint darkness between the side and the rearwindshield, 2nd time they did it i tought it was ok, but.. more bubbles came out.. since i was so frustrated with the dealership, i decided to go to another tint shop
Old 12-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by slr
u mean the tint from the dealership? yea there's a lifetime warranty.. i already went to the dealer twice to redo my tint, but.. 1st time they put different tint darkness between the side and the rearwindshield, 2nd time they did it i tought it was ok, but.. more bubbles came out.. since i was so frustrated with the dealership, i decided to go to another tint shop
Dealers will hire some local guy in a truck who would normally charge $100/car to do your car then charge you $399. Likely the guy that fixed your tint the second time wasn't the guy who put it on the first time. Cut out the middle man and get it from someone reputable and someone who will be around in a year or two, or four... You really don't want to have your tint re-done. More chances to mess things up. Spend a little cash up front and have a quality product installed by a good installer then forget about it and enjoy.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ruserious
Dye tints are the cheapest and they will most likely turn purple.

I've used dye tint on the past 3 cars (and 1 of my parents) and have had good luck with it.

Two of the cars we owned for almost 8 years.

If the tint fades past that, we could care less.

Not sure of the brand of tint (solar gard or solar zone maybe?), but we just use ammonia free cleaner and it doesn't fade.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Dealers will hire some local guy in a truck who would normally charge $100/car to do your car then charge you $399. Likely the guy that fixed your tint the second time wasn't the guy who put it on the first time. Cut out the middle man and get it from someone reputable and someone who will be around in a year or two, or four... You really don't want to have your tint re-done. More chances to mess things up. Spend a little cash up front and have a quality product installed by a good installer then forget about it and enjoy.

Bingo!!!

You're gonna get the same deal from a tint shop, but pay less for it. Warranty will be the same. When they say lifetime warranty it means as long as you own the vehicle. Dealers pay me $220-250 to tint a car like ours and charge the customer $399+++ for it. Cut the dealer out and save some cash. It will take less time also. When you get it done at the dealer they sometimes keep the car over night. If you go to the tint shop it willbe done at the end of the day.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:14 PM
slr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Check out this thread.... Post #10 and 12. #12 has pics of my car.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31332
hey u live at willowbrook area in that pics?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by slr
Got my tint done at the same place. They do a damn good job. Ive taken all my cars to this tint shop, and recommended it to everyone.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by slr
hey u live at willowbrook area in that pics?
Nope.. I actually live south of Houston. All these housing developments tend to look alike don't they!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:17 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^
oh yah I live in Clear Lake......I got dealer to do a free tint job on mine car.

I think my passenger side glass has a thin line.....I guess they didn't put on felt stripe
I wonder if the dealer would give me warranty on that...
Old 03-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

I Got The Tint!

After four months, I finally decided to get the Formula One tint at the shop near the Galleria. It cost me a bit over $400 after sales tax. The people at my office snickered at me for spending the kind of money I did for a tint job, but I'm convinced I did the right thing. The film is supposed to be better than the 3M used by most places. The tint on my old Honda started peeling around year 6 and I don't want that to happen on my TSX.

Looks: I got 35 all around and it looks like a car fit for James Bond to shag in! I have to keep from rolling down my windows for antoher day or two. I still owe everyone pictures and I'll try to rectify that situation soon.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Advanced

2 words to solve all ur worries:
ceramic tint
Old 03-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After four months, I finally decided to get the Formula One tint at the shop near the Galleria. It cost me a bit over $400 after sales tax. The people at my office snickered at me for spending the kind of money I did for a tint job, but I'm convinced I did the right thing. The film is supposed to be better than the 3M used by most places. The tint on my old Honda started peeling around year 6 and I don't want that to happen on my TSX.

Looks: I got 35 all around and it looks like a car fit for James Bond to shag in! I have to keep from rolling down my windows for antoher day or two. I still owe everyone pictures and I'll try to rectify that situation soon.

Congrats! I'm scheduled to throw some Ceramic film on a TSX a week from Wed. No worries on the amount you paid. There is a reason it costs so much. And it's a pretty good reason. I went to order some ceramic film from one of my distributors and there is a minimum $5k purchase required along with contractual agreements. It's space aged technology for now and there's only a few true ceramics out there. Good selection!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

can people start posting pictures of tint?

I have an 05' TSX black w black leather interior- i am debating between 15/20/35 % tints...

thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dlgold
can people start posting pictures of tint?

I have an 05' TSX black w black leather interior- i am debating between 15/20/35 % tints...

thanks
There are plenty of pics already. Search and you'll find the threads. There's one compiled of everyone's tint - brand, price paid, and pics.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear

Do you think black tsx and parchment(tan) interior would look good with 35% blue tint all around? And any suggestions on the shade of blue (metallic, royal, etc...)?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My tints 13% at the back and 25% in the front.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/parag_a2...60762328372749
Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by parag_a2z
was it tough installing the dome lights- those two push-in lights by the rear-view mirror? what type bulb, etc did you use? i like that look along w the LED on the door as it is open- looks tihgt... i wanna do the same
Old 04-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by parag_a2z
forgot to blank out your license plate in one of the shots. we're all gonna hunt u down now