Tinkys New Ride: 335 vs IS350 vs G35

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinkys New Ride: 335 vs IS350 vs G35

Though I haven't been on the board much lately those who know me know I'm one of those people who loves cars(like most of you) and isn't capable of keeping one long term; it's my one vice so I have no issue splurging on it since I get so much enjoyment out of driving. That being said i still look for a great value.

I bought my TSX in april 03 and have loved every minute of it but have lately been ready for something bigger and better as my career has taken off. My main criteria were a high fun to drive factor, nice looks and a good value to lease. I didn't realize it at the time, but that term "good value to lease" really shook up the competition.

I've been patiently waiting for the 335, is350 and g35 to all be on the market so I could make an educated decision and a better value as compeition was sure to drive down price. Surprisingly the IS is just as expensive as ever and ifyou want to get things like xenons or sport package you are stucking bying a 42 thousand dollar car. The g35 is a much better deal and a very tempting package, however
what I would have never guessed, is that the least expesnive car(configured how I wanted it) to lease would be the BMW!(it's not apples to apples since I'm doing european delivery) Now the truth is it is giving up some features, but they are features that I didn't care to have anyway so I consider it a win win. BMWs lease great and the free maintenance is a nice perk.

I decided to go the European Delivery route on the lease which makes for a amazing deal. Pick up your car in munich: save 5 thousand dollars off the lease price, not so bad if you ask me! Plus I've been wanting to travel to europe and the two for one airfaire on Lufthansa is a great perk. Leasing on european delivery winds up being such a great deal for the following reaons:

1) ED Cars do not come out of the dealership allotmen tmeaning there is no pressue to make as much cash on it as they can. I'm picking up my car for 800 over european invoice.
2) No MACO/Training or other BS fees.
3) Your residual value is still based off the US MSRP(and BMW has HIGH residuals) which means that the amount of money you save is cut right off the top of the financing; we're talking 25-33% lower payments.

The downside is that you have to go to germany to get your car and you will be without it a good 6+ weeks while they ship it back to you. FOrtunately I already own something I can drive in the meantime and they pay for your second month of lease payments for you!

So in the end here is the car I'm getting:

BMW 335
Titanium Silver
Black Leatherette(that's one of the compromises for the bmw, but the leatherette was no different from leather and wears better IMO)
Aluminum Trim
Sports Package
Comfort Access(Keyless entry/engine start)
Logic 7 stereo(upgraded bmw stereo, standard on 335)
Bi-xenons(standard on 335)
6-speed steptronic with paddle shifters
Power driver/passenger seat with memory(standard)

36 month 15k/year lease - 447 month - Only money down is aqusition/security deposit/dmv fees

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does have the bells and whistles I want and I get a trip to Germany! Now I just have to wait until April......
Old 12-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Advanced.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
so does that mean you get EDM headlights?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Master Graphic Artist

I love that car! Awesome choice

Though IMO those cares are not really that much of an upgrade from a TSX (as far as space and features run). Pick up a nice radar detector
Old 12-28-2006, 03:11 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Congratulations, that sounds like a great deal and you get take the trip to Germany on some justification (in addition to that just being a cool trip to take). This might be just the ticket when I'm ready for a new car. "Honey, I HAVE to get the BMW -- it's why we're going to Germany!" Good stuff, best of luck to you!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Sweet! Nice choice!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by jiggaman
so does that mean you get EDM headlights?
haha, nope, it's made for the US market! It's going to be hard holding back on the auto bahn....can't take it over 4k rpms. Thankfully it has some crazy torque which should be able to get it up to reckless speeds anyway
Old 12-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good choice i like the 335 coupe. I went to Berlin earlier this year but i didn't go to the autobahn tho just went to other parts like Dresden did not go to Munich either : /, then i went on to Prague and Budapest. You're going to love Germany i liked it. Congrats!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on your car. In the words of Ferris Bueller, "If you have the means I highly recommend you pick one up." Looking forward to pics and impressions when you get it stateside.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
dont forget to take pics!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
lucky you
Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive 600 miles around the country side, get it back to munich for its first oil change and then have fun on the autobahn.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Congrats. Try not to break this one.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Racer

Sounds like a great choice! And very interesting option (buying and picking it up in Germany) - I would have never thought that was possible.

Post some pics when you get a chance!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Congratulations! That is a wonderful choice! I think the 335 is the best!

Now, I am very interested in this European delivery. I just went to the BMW website and saw that for the 3 series, ED would save you about $3000 or so off the MSRP. I am wondering if it is at all possible to get $3000 off of a current year 3 series in the US? If you cannot, then this is definitely the way to go! If you can, maybe it's a nice trip anyway... but the cost savings are not as substantial as it may appear... does anyone know?

My dream car right now would be the 328xiT!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:50 AM
Advanced

It's a lease so why not redline it on the autobahn? they say with today's manufacturing tolerences, break in is overrated anyway.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:27 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

i'm not sure if i'm the only one. but who gives a shit?

take ur ass on over to bmmrworld.net for someone who cares?

:-x j/k
Old 12-29-2006, 06:23 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calbear2k1
It's a lease so why not redline it on the autobahn? they say with today's manufacturing tolerences, break in is overrated anyway.
The engine can be run hard from new. But the transmission and drivetrain parts still require running in.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Racer

should have planned it for the fall......, u could have went to Oktoberfest.......
Old 12-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Race Director

Did you get navi on the 335???
Old 12-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by ostrich
Congratulations! That is a wonderful choice! I think the 335 is the best!

Now, I am very interested in this European delivery. I just went to the BMW website and saw that for the 3 series, ED would save you about $3000 or so off the MSRP. I am wondering if it is at all possible to get $3000 off of a current year 3 series in the US? If you cannot, then this is definitely the way to go! If you can, maybe it's a nice trip anyway... but the cost savings are not as substantial as it may appear... does anyone know?

My dream car right now would be the 328xiT!
Saving may even be greater than that. The thing to remember is since they do not come out of dealer allotment you are working on a different pricing scale. In the US you tend to work down from MSRP, on ED you take the european delivery invoice pricing(equal on options, but cheaper base) and work up to give the dealer some profit.

Most dealers will give you a great deal sine every sold car helps their allotment for next year but it doesn't come out of their already assigned stock of cars.

I think the deal I worked was for over 5k off what it would cost in the US. No navi but still that 5+k makes your lease payments much much lower.

If you want to go to europe(and if you do ED you get 2 for 1 air travel) it can be a great deal, but rememer there are draw backs. 1) you will be without the new car for 6+ weeks so you need another to drive. and 2) you need the vacation time off and the expense of travel. If you can do it, though, it seems like a great way to go.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you buy using European delivery is there a further advantage when it comes to sales tax? I heard somewhere that by the time the car is delivered stateside its considered a "used" car.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by jlukja
If you buy using European delivery is there a further advantage when it comes to sales tax? I heard somewhere that by the time the car is delivered stateside its considered a "used" car.

I'm not sure about that since buying a BMW was always on my "never ever even think about it" list
Old 12-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have to pay for the shipping to the US? That would take another grand off the savings, not to mention the trip expenses. I think it'd only be worth it if you're already taking a trip to Germany and just happen to buy your car. Making the trip out there just doesn't seem all that thrifty to me.

Yes, you still have to pay sales tax on the car. Whenever you register a car at the DMV they will charge you tax on the car if you have not previously paid it at equal or higher value in another STATE.

For example, my friend bought his car in NY right before he moved to Cali (he wanted to drive x-country in it). He paid 4.5%, the regular sales tax in NY. When he got to Cali and tried to register it there about 3 months later the DMV said that since the car was less than one year old and he'd only paid 4.5% he'd have to pay 3% to make up the difference in taxes (Cali had a 7.5% tax at that time, not sure what it is now). BTW, the only reason he had to register in Cali was because he got pulled over by CHP and they told him he had 30 days to register in the state since he lived there now.

That was in 1999 so maybe things have changed. IDK.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by Nogard13
Do you have to pay for the shipping to the US? That would take another grand off the savings, not to mention the trip expenses. I think it'd only be worth it if you're already taking a trip to Germany and just happen to buy your car. Making the trip out there just doesn't seem all that thrifty to me.

Yes, you still have to pay sales tax on the car. Whenever you register a car at the DMV they will charge you tax on the car if you have not previously paid it at equal or higher value in another STATE.

For example, my friend bought his car in NY right before he moved to Cali (he wanted to drive x-country in it). He paid 4.5%, the regular sales tax in NY. When he got to Cali and tried to register it there about 3 months later the DMV said that since the car was less than one year old and he'd only paid 4.5% he'd have to pay 3% to make up the difference in taxes (Cali had a 7.5% tax at that time, not sure what it is now). BTW, the only reason he had to register in Cali was because he got pulled over by CHP and they told him he had 30 days to register in the state since he lived there now.

That was in 1999 so maybe things have changed. IDK.

They pay for shipping and they pay for your second lease/monthly payment to cover the time the car is in transit. It's not quite all of the cost but it's a significant portion.

As far as the trip I was already planning on going with my g/f so this seemed the best time especially when considering the 2 for 1 airfare. You shoudl really only consider it if you want to travel, but in my case the amount i'm saving over the lease in payments and tax more than makes up for my budget of the trip. Saving some money and going to europe, not so bad!

If you wanted to do it very budget you could fly in for one day -- save your 5-6 k and then fly out only paying ~800 in travel expenses. It would be rought but I think most people would say 1.5 days of their time is worth 5k
Old 12-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Everyday Joe

Congrats and that is a sweet lease deal. I've been seeing some nice BMW lease payments in the paper the last couple of weeks. Just for my own giggles, do you happen to know how much more per month to get leather? Is the leatherette really a good substitution?

I may just need to look into this deal when it comes time to replace the TSX....I've always lusted after a 3 series convertible.....
Old 12-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Race Director

Did you get the 335i sedan or coupe? Either way great choice and enjoy the car.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Racer

the 335i coupe is a step of from the TSX, that that turbo inline 6 is smooth as silk and the HP is a nice increase from the 330ci. Congrats, you will love their service. Did you get the steptronic or the SMG tranmission? The SMG has paddle shifters but isnt an automatic, just a manual with no clutch. I loved that damn SMG trans.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Did you get the 335i sedan or coupe? Either way great choice and enjoy the car.

I actually got the sedan, they have better residuals for the lease and are a bit less expensive!

I also got the steptronic which is like a conventional auto. However it is very responsive, rev matches on downshifts and is geared almost identically to the manual so I'm not giving up too much there.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:43 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

congrats..
you will love it more when you passed break in period