Timing chain parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain parts

Hello all, I recently purchased an '04 TSX from a family member. It shows the signs of timing chain stretch/jumped teeth. Does not idle (will start but dies), the chain rattles loudly on cranking. My goal is to put a new chain on, with the hope that no damage was done internally. If it works, great, if not, I'll investigate a rebuild. Today I started the takedown procedures listed in the service manual, the timing appears to be 180 degrees out of the exhaust cam. Eg. cam arrows are both pointing towards the cabin of the car with crank at TDC mark. My main question is should I go with all OEM chain seals etc or are any aftermarket parts better? I saw that skunk2 makes a tensioner, thoughts? I'm also open to advice in general. I've read that the chain is a PITA to change, but I'd rather take the time to do it myself instead of spending ~$750+ to find out the engine is toast.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here I left few comments while ago, hope this might help.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/belt-tensioner-question-894634/
The following users liked this post:
thumperhumper (11-02-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by V-dub-R
Here I left few comments while ago, hope this might help.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894634

Ah yes, I had skimmed that thread a few days ago. Bookmarked now. I have a friend's mechanic coming out to give opinions/diagnosis in the next few days.

Also, the timing may have not been out as much as I thought previously, when I turn the crank counter-clockwise to compress the tensioner, the chain is able to slip over the cams.

Anyway, I'll wait to see what he says + ordering of parts, no need to rush
Old 11-02-2013, 08:55 PM
4th Gear

The TSX is up and running. I have a parts list with all prices if anyone is in need. Now to diagnose the VSA indicator light............ On another note, does anyone here have a connection with a dealership? The battery was dead so the radio is locked atm. I have vin# and radio serial that I can PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by thumperhumper
The TSX is up and running. I have a parts list with all prices if anyone is in need. Now to diagnose the VSA indicator light............ On another note, does anyone here have a connection with a dealership? The battery was dead so the radio is locked atm. I have vin# and radio serial that I can PM.
Also, for anyone that came here from a google seach regarding radio lock problems: You can get your radio serial by holding the 1 and 6 buttons then powering on the radio, it will flash 2 sets of a letter and numeric digits.