Thinking, maybe a TSX!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thinking, maybe a TSX!

Hey everyone, My name is Mark. I just joined this forum after reading around a bit. I am currently Serving in the Middle East, and ill be home in 2 months. Needless to say, I have all this damn money saved up and its time to get a new car. I am seriously considering a TSX. Test drove one before but couldnt afford it. I currently have a VW Jetta, Which I am totally done with the European Car market. Not worth the hassle or the money... Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. Hopefully in the next few months I will be posting pictures of my new TSX!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

tsx is a great car!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stay safe.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Boost Junky

Welcome to the boards, Im new here as well...I have had my TSX for a lil over a week and couldnt be happier. The car is simply amazing, smooth as butter. Its a step down as far as power goes from my last car but everything else about it kills my old car 100 times over.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:35 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ExEuroOwner
Hey everyone, My name is Mark. I just joined this forum after reading around a bit. I am currently Serving in the Middle East, and ill be home in 2 months. Needless to say, I have all this damn money saved up and its time to get a new car. I am seriously considering a TSX. Test drove one before but couldnt afford it. I currently have a VW Jetta, Which I am totally done with the European Car market. Not worth the hassle or the money... Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. Hopefully in the next few months I will be posting pictures of my new TSX!

Welcome to AZ!!....Know the feeling being deployed to the ME, I've been there too a couple of times back in my active duty days. Yeah time to dump that VW Jetta when you come home, you're getting a fine machine (TSX) and will give you years of fun and reliabilty. 2 more months to go be safe you almost home free.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:50 PM
no0bIe

Originally Posted by TSXmeister
Welcome to AZ!!....Know the feeling being deployed to the ME, I've been there too a couple of times back in my active duty days. Yeah time to dump that VW Jetta when you come home, you're getting a fine machine (TSX) and will give you years of fun and reliabilty. 2 more months to go be safe you almost home free.
Well said
Old 10-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The TSX is awsome. Good luck over there!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Stay safe and come back and join the fun!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:26 PM
4th Gear

Sclass88, What dealer did you purchase your TSX at? How was the experience? I live in Nothern Rhode Island....
Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 PM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Originally Posted by ExEuroOwner
Whether you buy a TSX or not, give us a holler when you get back, and keep a low profile while you're in the ME. Take care, so you'll get to spend all that money that's a burnin' a hole in your pocket! And, thanks for serving on our behalf ...

That being said, the TSX probably isn't for everyone. If you're looking for absolute speed ... nope. If you need fantastic gas mileage ... nope. If you gotta have the ultimate luxury ride ... nope. But - if you'd like a car that goes decently fast, handles fairly nimbly, gets good gas mileage while doing it, and has enough lux - in a clean understated way ... then the TSX is worth looking at and driving. If reliabilty and resale value also are important, then suddenly you don't have too many other choices.

It's all about balance. The TSX, while not the very best in the above categories, is close enough in *all* of them. Other cars might top it in one or two, but get clobbered in others. If you buy a TSX, I bet there will never be a time when you'll say "Why did I buy this?" or second-guess your decision. At least, while you're driving it. Mostly you'll be thinking ... "sweet".

Go compare it to other near-luxury rides. TSX holds it own well amongst them. When you factor in bang-for-the-buck, TSX wins. If you have a crapload of bucks, really want top speed and handling, and are willing to take a hit on reliability, then the BMW 330 is probably a good bet. Just be prepared to spend about $10 large more on it for the privilege.

And good luck.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by simplyscion
Welcome to the boards, Im new here as well...I have had my TSX for a lil over a week and couldnt be happier. The car is simply amazing, smooth as butter. Its a step down as far as power goes from my last car but everything else about it kills my old car 100 times over.
I know we both had a Tc so I was wondering how do you think the TSX handles compared to the Tc.I have only driven the TSX for about 10 min which was of course a test drive that sucked because it was mostly stop and go traffic.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by jasonviper04
I know we both had a Tc so I was wondering how do you think the TSX handles compared to the Tc.I have only driven the TSX for about 10 min which was of course a test drive that sucked because it was mostly stop and go traffic.
my tC had suspension work done to it and really good tires so the tC out handled the TSX. Its also a smaller more nimble car but by no means is the TSX a slouch. Im quite surprised with the handling of the TSX. Also, you cant beat the ride quality and luxurious appointments that the tC never will have. All in all, after being in this car for a week or so, I wouldnt trade it back for a tC for nothing. Only thing I miss is the supercharger on the tC. I wouldnt waste my time with the comptech charger for this car...I bought this car to drive slow and relax in
Old 10-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Welcome!

I am a very recent (3 week) convert from a MKIV GTI... I can say that I miss many things about the VW, but I wont miss having to have it towed 3 times in the past year (broken motor mount 2x's, melted fuse harness 1x)

I am surprised at how well this 2.4l is compared to my vr6.

There are only a few things about the TSX that dissappoint me. The lack of aftermarket parts being one of them and a few other things that I am pleased to say have or will be changed (ie. the hood lift/ tall door pins)

It has been the opinion that japanese cars lack soul/ feel cheap when driving them. I can honestly say (despite the thin steering wheel) this car feels as solid if not more solid then the GTI when driving.

I was impressed with it and ended up trading the GTI in. The MKV GTI was my other choice, but I was leary about the reliability and they wouldn't match acura on my trade-in.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by simplyscion
my tC had suspension work done to it and really good tires so the tC out handled the TSX. Its also a smaller more nimble car but by no means is the TSX a slouch. Im quite surprised with the handling of the TSX. Also, you cant beat the ride quality and luxurious appointments that the tC never will have. All in all, after being in this car for a week or so, I wouldnt trade it back for a tC for nothing. Only thing I miss is the supercharger on the tC. I wouldnt waste my time with the comptech charger for this car...I bought this car to drive slow and relax in
what kind of suspension did you have? tein or TRD? I never got to upgrade the suspension on my Tc cause of my accident but had a lot of other mods but how would you compare the stock suspension of the tc to the TSX?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Welcome to AZ!! First of all, thanks for doing your time in the ME. I was in Desert Storm myself and know what it's like over there. Keep your head down and don't drive over those homemade bombs.

As far as the TSX, I simply love the car! Best bang for the buck and every year they seem to make it better.

GL
Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by jasonviper04
what kind of suspension did you have? tein or TRD? I never got to upgrade the suspension on my Tc cause of my accident but had a lot of other mods but how would you compare the stock suspension of the tc to the TSX?
I had tein s techs and also had the TRD rear sway bar...I had falken FK452's which were some of the best tires I have ever owned in my life. As far as stock suspension goes the TSX defintely rides smoother and I would say has a little bit more sway/body roll than the tC due to being a larger vehicle overall.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear

Stay safe there..
I personally made the same switch, from a 2000 Jetta 5 speed manual to 2005 TSX 6 speed manual. Could not be happier. Jetta was fun to drive, I admit, but a pain to own, way too many problems.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Advanced

smart choice. let's hope you don't get stop lossed and stuck there for another four years.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I enjoyed my test-drive of a tC. The main advantage was that the tC has a much tighter turning radius! Hard to tell if handling was really "better", but it seemed to have a lower center of gravity, which helped. I think both have pretty good stock handling, but not quite at the sports-car level of course. But, they both satisfied my need for sporty handling, and I could have been happy with either.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Advanced

way to hijack this thread.. take the talk to PM's... besides.. who wants a Scion any how...