Thinking of getting BMW, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thinking of getting BMW, thoughts?

OK, so here's the deal: the lease on my TSX (07 5A/Nav, 36,000 Miles) is up in April. Now, I can purchase the car for $17,988.23 and keep it or I can spend up to $20,500 on a used 2006 BMW 325 or 2007 BMW 328 (I'm leaning towards the later).

I've found a dealer about 130 miles away that has a 2007 328i 6A, Premium Package, Dakota Leather, + Bluetooth for $20,900 (I'm sure I can talk them down a bit to meet my budget). The car is silver/black and has 45,000 miles.

I've made a short list of pros and cons:

Pros:
- 230 hp 200 ft/lb V6 engine
- RWD
- All Windows auto-up/down
- BMW driving and handling
- Tighter turning radius
- Brand prestige
- New (to me) car feel

Cons:
- BMW repair prices (when it breaks down)
- Not Acura/Honda reliability
- No backup camera or Nav
- Smaller back seat
- No split/folding rear seat
- Very crappy cupholders
- No XM Radio
- 9,000 more miles on the car

Both cars have almost the same creature comfort features, but I know everything that has happened to my TSX, while the BMW's record is a total mystery to me.

So, what do you guys think?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nogard13
Cons:
- BMW repair prices (when it breaks down)
- Not Acura/Honda reliability
As long as it's under warrenty, you're fine. (assuming you have another vehicle for the time it's in the shop) Once the warrenty is up, you're in for some serious repair bills. I avoid BMW like the plague and suggest that others do so as well.
I've always heard that BMWs are really nice but they spend half their life in the shop being fixed.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
If you do the work yourself it's much more rewarding and MUCH cheaper. I'd say pull the trigger, they're a blast to drive. Just dont turn into a prick mmkay?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Pros: - 230 hp 200 ft/lb V6 engine
I know you meant to say Inline-6. Anyways, go for it....the E90 328i. Get the bimmer itch out of your system. Near 50/50 weight dist, RWD, great handling, German engineering, overall solid car. Have you lurked or joined any of the bimmer forums?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Racer

BMWs are definitely nice cars with good power and handling (with sport package). My brother has a bimmer and for the most part they're pretty solid and reliable, but if things go wrong, expect to pay some good money for maintenance.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
@acura_ak I agree, because of its reliability, its definitely a risk you take being a BMW owner. For me, the negatives far more outweigh the positives to become a BMW owner.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PACman
I know you meant to say Inline-6. Anyways, go for it....the E90 328i. Get the bimmer itch out of your system. Near 50/50 weight dist, RWD, great handling, German engineering, overall solid car. Have you lurked or joined any of the bimmer forums?
Haha, yeah, I meant to say I6.

Some of the maintenance will be done by me (i.e. oil/filter changes, belts, hoses, stuff like that), while some of it will definitely be done by a shop (I doubt it would be the dealer).

I'm going to join some BMW forums and check them out. I'll keep you guys informed if I do decide to go for it.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The grass is always greener, but I agree with those who posted stories and experience with BMW repair costs. I have some stories to tell, too.

But instead of doing that, I'll play devil's advocate.

I think the deal to buy your car is terrific. You'd be hard-pressed to find an '07 with NAV and 36K miles for $17,988. (Especially one that you know does not have any issues or problems, and that you know has been well-maintained.)
Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Instructor

What does "Brand prestige" mean? How much is it worth? Is it like "good well" on the books?

I have heard more than once that those that drive BMW's are snobs.

In some areas, like Atlanta, I find BMW drivers to be some of the most rude and inconsiderate drivers on the road. And, I have found very few BMW drivers that know anything about cars -- and that just might be a small contributing factor in the high cost of maintenance. And, apparently, BMW knows it -- I understand that the BMW vehicles come without a dipstick. Is that true?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimHolloman
I understand that the BMW vehicles come without a dipstick. Is that true?
Yup, newer bimmers do not.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JimHolloman
What does "Brand prestige" mean? How much is it worth? Is it like "good well" on the books?

I have heard more than once that those that drive BMW's are snobs.

In some areas, like Atlanta, I find BMW drivers to be some of the most rude and inconsiderate drivers on the road. And, I have found very few BMW drivers that know anything about cars -- and that just might be a small contributing factor in the high cost of maintenance. And, apparently, BMW knows it -- I understand that the BMW vehicles come without a dipstick. Is that true?
Most of this is valid. However, it's not fair to make a blanket statement that all are snobs. I had a lot of humility, even delivered pizza for a second job, in a rather heavily modded 330.

The sooner you realize your BMW is just a car, and there is always something better, the better off and happier you can be with said BMW. 540/545 will be beat by M5s, M5s by CTS-Vs, so on and so forth.

Most people will buy a BMW because it's a "luxury" car. Some will buy them because they're 50/50 weight dist. and they're incredibly engineered. Those same people don't mind working on it themselves and spending extra for more fun daily.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Racer

Well, after driving my friend's 08 335i convertible, I fell in love with BMW handling and driving dynamics. It was that much fun to drive. However, I have to weigh my options very carefully.

I have decided NOT to get the BMW that I was looking at after running a Carfax report, for the reasons listed below:

1. Last service done at 45,169 in August, yet pics show ODO at 45,000 even and are dated January 2010 (maybe the camera's date was off, but I doubt it). This is fishy
2. Last service was for clicking and vibration in engine
3. 02 sensor was changed at 45,000 miles due to "permanent failure"
4. Radio was replaced at 44,000 miles due to "unwanted and unpleasant noises", whatever that means
5. "Roof trim - fix poor surface finish" has been done 3 times.
6. At 43,000 miles, the following maintenance was done:
- Cylinder head cover gasket leaking, replaced
- Oxygen monitor sensor permanent malfunction, replaced
- Front brake pad wear sensor unpleasant noises, replaced
- Exterior mirror cover broken, replaced
- Drink holder, front poor surface finish, replaced
- Arm rests (incl. soft pad) door trim panel, front poor surface finish, replaced
- Switch cluster/central console operating unit loose, replaced
- Radio Business Software error / internal device fault, replaced
7. At 39,000 miles, the 02 sensor was changed due to "permanent malfunction" (yes, we've seen this before)
8. At 34,000 miles, the gearbox was loose, and tightened
9. At 30,000 the Valves were adjusted due to "excessive rattling" and the electronic steering column was found to be defective, and replaced
10. At 24,000 the throttle was replaced due to retarded action and churning, and the Valves were adjusted again because of excessive rattling.

I left out a few minor things, but this car seems like a lemon. No wonder it is being sold so cheap (by a dealer). I think I'm going to keep my car, especially since the only things wrong with it are cold tire vibrations in the first 5 minutes of morning driving (since my new tires were put on) and a small tear in the driver's seat fleather (on the bolster), which I'll have fixed now that I know I'm keeping my car. Those are pretty minor problems compared to what the BMW has had.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Reason why BMW = Broke My Wallet
Old 02-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Racer

That definitely doesn't sound like a good car to get. Another reason to get one with low mileage and one that hasn't been abused or neglected by others.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Modding newbie

Well, after driving my friend's 08 335i convertible, I fell in love with BMW handling and driving dynamics. It was that much fun to drive. However, I have to weigh my options very carefully.

I have decided NOT to get the BMW that I was looking at after running a Carfax report, for the reasons listed below:

1. Last service done at 45,169 in August, yet pics show ODO at 45,000 even and are dated January 2010 (maybe the camera's date was off, but I doubt it). This is fishy
2. Last service was for clicking and vibration in engine
3. 02 sensor was changed at 45,000 miles due to "permanent failure"
4. Radio was replaced at 44,000 miles due to "unwanted and unpleasant noises", whatever that means
5. "Roof trim - fix poor surface finish" has been done 3 times.
6. At 43,000 miles, the following maintenance was done:
- Cylinder head cover gasket leaking, replaced
- Oxygen monitor sensor permanent malfunction, replaced
- Front brake pad wear sensor unpleasant noises, replaced
- Exterior mirror cover broken, replaced
- Drink holder, front poor surface finish, replaced
- Arm rests (incl. soft pad) door trim panel, front poor surface finish, replaced
- Switch cluster/central console operating unit loose, replaced
- Radio Business Software error / internal device fault, replaced
7. At 39,000 miles, the 02 sensor was changed due to "permanent malfunction" (yes, we've seen this before)
8. At 34,000 miles, the gearbox was loose, and tightened
9. At 30,000 the Valves were adjusted due to "excessive rattling" and the electronic steering column was found to be defective, and replaced
10. At 24,000 the throttle was replaced due to retarded action and churning, and the Valves were adjusted again because of excessive rattling.

I left out a few minor things, but this car seems like a lemon. No wonder it is being sold so cheap (by a dealer). I think I'm going to keep my car, especially since the only things wrong with it are cold tire vibrations in the first 5 minutes of morning driving (since my new tires were put on) and a small tear in the driver's seat fleather (on the bolster), which I'll have fixed now that I know I'm keeping my car. Those are pretty minor problems compared to what the BMW has had.
That's pretty typical of BMW, unless it's a car with some of the more serious issues, then the list is much much longer.

Do you have any other perspective vehicles yet?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
That's pretty typical of BMW, unless it's a car with some of the more serious issues, then the list is much much longer.

Do you have any other perspective vehicles yet?
Not really, as everything else in my price range would be a step down (if I go the CPO route).

I thought of the IS250 but after doing a search on Lexus.com, I found that the cheapest CPO in all of NC is selling for $25,995 (and it's a 2006). Some have suggested the G35, but I rented one in Vegas for two weeks and really didn't care for it; I thought the TSX was a much better car (except for the power, of course).

Like I said in my post, I don't want to spend more than $20,500 (plus TTL) on a car, or my payments will be higher than I want them to be. That doesn't leave many cars comparable with the TSX left on the list.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Sounds like spending 17K on a 07 TSX with those miles is a pretty good deal.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
keeping/buying the tsx = better long term investment!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was looking at getting a BMW...didn't need anything high end. After almost buying one (just couldn't agree on the price) I came to the conclusion that these cars needs consistent maintaining and if you don't lease them new you are going to be paying through the nose. When you have to replace the pads, you also need to replace the rotors. The cost on parts just for the 328i would run close to $500 per axle! Not to mention that the cars have runflats which cost a ton of money and if you run on them for any period of time they are rendered worthless. And as of last year the current model didn't have a service manual so you are on your own or at the mercy of the dealer.

While they do feel as much fun to drive as our TSX it's just too much money to throw away. If I hit the lotto or come across a large amount of money the M3 is going to be in my driveway...for everything else it'll be either a Honda, Toyota or Nissan.

If you want something that has some pep, consider the TL (if you can deal with the ugly front grille) or get a Infiniti G35 / M
Old 02-27-2010, 09:16 PM
East Coast Crew

First 3 years of service for a BMW is free. So just keep it for those years and then either give them back the car or sell it.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a friend, who have a 08 335i and the check engine light came on.
He only have about 40k on it. He took it to the stealer-ship and they told him that with the direct-injection on the motor, the intake manifold gets carbon buildup and needs to be clean. And something was wrong with the High pressure fuel pump system too. He's glad its still under warranty. I like BMW but until they get that DI system worked out, I'll stick to my Honda/Acura.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Keep the Tsx. It is a great car. You know every single detail about the car. You dont know what you are going to get with another car.