Thinking of buying TSX but have concerns - Convince me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006 | 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

Thinking of buying TSX but have concerns - Convince me!

I test drove the 06 TSX and I loved it! I also test drove the Mazda 6. It was nice too. My brother is a Honda/Acura fan and would kill me if I bought anything else. I might test drive the Subaru Legacy. I have a '98 VW Jetta to trade in. I will NOT go back to VW.

I am a mother of a three year old, so I want a family type car but I don't want something boring. But it needs to be safe and comfortable. I'm the type of person that keeps cars for a long time; at least 5+ years.

I feel like the TSX is missing the all-wheel drive. I know everyone will say TSX has traction control and to just put snow tires on.

I also am not so sure about using the high octane gas. Gas prices are so high, maybe I should look at Hybrid models.

I love all the other additional options the TSX offers. I know Acura is a good brand. I will probably buy the TSX, but part of me has doubts about spending that much money. I probably won't get the navigation although I'd love to.
Old 03-22-2006 | 10:47 AM
GlacierBlue4Life

I think that the TSX is a pretty economic choice. I came from a BMW, where I was tired of the maintenance costs and really crappy gas mileage.

I bought a non-Navi for about 28k out the door, which isn't a bad deal for what you get in the TSX. What do you get? Safety, reliability, economy, and some fun on the side.

The premium fuel is not a big deal. If you do the math, given 12,000 mi / yr of driving, and a 20 cent difference between regular and premium, the difference is ONLY $77/yr.

Front wheel drive is safe in the snow. If you add some snow tires, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The biggest safety factor in driving in the snow is of course YOU and how you change your driving style to adapt to snow.
Old 03-22-2006 | 10:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Your unfortunately going to have to make this choice on your own, The TSX, Mazda 6 and Legacy GT are all very good choices. Test drive them all, determine what feels best and they weigh in options vs cost. Since you sound interested in AWD maybe check out the MazdaSpeed 6. AWD with a 274HP turbocharged 2.3L engine.

Have you also considered a Camry or an Accord? Both are much larger than either of your other chices and can be had with quite powerful V6's. (Probly a better idea if you are getting an AT). They look pretty good for 06/07 as well. Not to mention they are comparably priced.

Good luck shopping.
Old 03-22-2006 | 11:04 AM
TSX User

The 06 civic hybrid w/navi is another nice choice at a reasonable price point, with comparable safety ratings to the TSX.

But, it may seem a bit ghetto in terms of creature comforts and ride. And it may even be more underpowered than the TSX.

Good luck
Old 03-22-2006 | 11:14 AM
Instructor

Nice that you are getting out of VW, that's where I came from. As great as I treated my 99 VW, I had continuous problems with it. I've thought about the Legacy GT before I got my TSX, but turned that idea down because I wanted a more of a commute car and TSX is a little better on fuel (that's compared to the 250hp Legacy), and overall is just more comfortable. If I were to shed that range of money on a car, I want at least a slight luxury feel to it which I couldn't feel in the Legacy. As for the Mazda, I simply didn't want to go back to the maintenence issues like I did with VW. Mazda6Speed is by all means very nice and powerful, but turbo cars will require a slight increase in attention both time and money wise. And that being said, if you are planning to keep the car for a very long time, I wouldn't suggest having a turbo car. But at the end, it all depends on how you drive.

I live in Canada, not the coldest part, but we have some nasty weather here in the winter. I've yet encounter a huge problem with the FWD TSX yet. But I think the cars you've mentioned vs. TSX, it depends if you want performance vs. luxury. At the end, it's your call. I would also suggest looking at the TL, IS250 for a little bit more, or the Accord and Camry for a little less. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2006 | 11:42 AM
Instructor

I looked at those same cars, and you probably would be great in any of them. I felt the Subaru was a great car and AWD was a big plus. Of course looks are subjective to each individual, but it just didn't do it for me. And I really didn't want a turbo, for the reasons mentioned above.

I had the Mazda very close to TSX, but just felt that the interior and overall feel were better with the TSX. Obiviously not as much power as the mazdaspeed6, but still sporty enough for me. What it really came down to was the fact that I was buying another Honda (Acura, whatever), and I knew I could count on the reliability. And when you consider the fact that a 2.4L I4 engine can kick out more than 200 horses, get 30+ mpg on the highway, and potentially last more than 200k miles, I was sold.
Old 03-22-2006 | 12:18 PM
Instructor

I kicked around the Subaru too but one big thing that took it off the list was that the rear seat does not fold down. Alot of pepole may not think that is a big deal but I carry alot of "stuff" in my car for work and more than once, the fold down seat has helped me. Not to mention I can fit my bike in there as well.

Mazda is owned my Ford now and that does not comfort me. My wife had massive transmission problems with her Mazdas in the past and that makes me nervous.

Your brother knows what he is talking about. You just can't go wrong with a Honda product. My whole family has had Hondas for years and most have gone well over 200,000 miles with very little maintenance. One of my good friends is an Acura mechanic and he said that in his opinion, the TSX is the finest car that Acura makes right now. He rarely sees them for anything other than routine maintenance and they are all around just put together well. (built in Japan...)

I came from an 01 accord so this was a nice step up for me. I get awesome mileage, feel very safe with all those airbags, can tear up the twisties if I feel like it, or cruise comfortably down the road. I had no problems this winter in over a foot of snow with "so-so" tires.

Another big plus is that I never see many TSX's on the road. I catch people staring at the car all the time when I am driving. It's not a run of the mill sports sedan. I think the look is timeless and so sharp. (can you tell I love my car?)

TSX = A+
Old 03-22-2006 | 01:31 PM
Instructor

Been driving in Colorado for twenty years. Unless you're driving untraveled roads or not regularly plowed roads, four-wheel drive may be overkill - it's expensive and complicated - I won't have it, and don't want it if it's free. You might look for stability control - standard on TSX, available on some Accords and Camrys (Camries?). It kinda does for turning what anti-locks do for stopping by using your computerized brakes to control traction at all four wheels. It's worked really well the past few days when the roads were icy.
Snow tires are much more valuable to me than four-wheel drive, because my problem usually isn't going in the snow - it's stopping or turning in the snow. Good snow tires (Yokohama Guardex!) can nearly stop on ice, but are quiet and smooth on dry roads. Mine seemed to lose their effectiveness after two seasons, but still work better than regular tires.
Old 03-22-2006 | 01:35 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Washington
Been driving in Colorado for twenty years. Unless you're driving untraveled roads or not regularly plowed roads, four-wheel drive may be overkill - it's expensive and complicated - I won't have it, and don't want it if it's free. You might look for stability control - standard on TSX, available on some Accords and Camrys (Camries?). It kinda does for turning what anti-locks do for stopping by using your computerized brakes to control traction at all four wheels. It's worked really well the past few days when the roads were icy.
Snow tires are much more valuable to me than four-wheel drive, because my problem usually isn't going in the snow - it's stopping or turning in the snow. Good snow tires (Yokohama Guardex!) can nearly stop on ice, but are quiet and smooth on dry roads. Mine seemed to lose their effectiveness after two seasons, but still work better than regular tires.
Good first post n00b.
Old 03-22-2006 | 01:44 PM
Banned

i guess no asking for pics then
Old 03-22-2006 | 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
The 06 civic hybrid w/navi is another nice choice at a reasonable price point, with comparable safety ratings to the TSX.

But, it may seem a bit ghetto in terms of creature comforts and ride. And it may even be more underpowered than the TSX.

Good luck
I think the Civic would be too small with 3 kids.........IMO
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:27 PM
Cruisin'

Question Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.. I don't have 3 kids, I have one three year old. But I might have more kids one day, but that said we do have a Honda Pilot that would be our main vehicle. I did consider the Accord as we had an Accord before that we traded in for the Pilot. We loved it. But the Accord, Camry, and Altima seem boring to me. I want something better, classy, "fancy", sporty...something COOL! I really like the TSX and I know Acura is reliable and that's what makes me nervous about Mazda and Subaru.

Does everyone put in the high octane at every fill up?

Does everyone have snow tires on their TSX if you're in that part of the country/world?

Do you like the Bluetooth?

If you don't have the navigation do you wish you did?
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:35 PM
TSX User

Search

Dunno

Search

and

Yes, but still search.
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:35 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by kristie73
Thanks for all the replies.. I don't have 3 kids, I have one three year old. But I might have more kids one day, but that said we do have a Honda Pilot that would be our main vehicle. I did consider the Accord as we had an Accord before that we traded in for the Pilot. We loved it. But the Accord, Camry, and Altima seem boring to me. I want something better, classy, "fancy", sporty...something COOL! I really like the TSX and I know Acura is reliable and that's what makes me nervous about Mazda and Subaru.

Does everyone have snow tires on their TSX if you're in that part of the country/world?

1 Yes
2 No
3 have an 04, but would like to have the BT
4 I have nav, but I hear a lot of people say they wish they got it after they didn't
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:37 PM
Pro

Welcome Kristie73.
Sounds like your the perfect fit for a TSX.

high octane - yes, everytime
snows - yes, absolutely required for my neck of the woods
I don't have the B-tooth
I wish I had the NAVI toy thing, but would probably want the rear entertainment DVD system for my 2 kids (who fit very nicely with all their 'stuff' in the back seat and trunk (kids in seats, stuff in trunk))
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

YES Like a previous poster said. Its only $80-100 per year.

YES TSX has been great.

NO Don't travel enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by huckleberry
i guess no asking for pics then

We almost got through one female started thread without someone mentioning pics.

Thanks huckleberry.
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:48 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by dom

YES Like a previous poster said. Its only $80-100 per year.

YES TSX has been great.

NO Don't travel enough to make it worthwhile.
No feelings on the bluetooth?
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
No feelings on the bluetooth?

Like all 04/05 owners, don't have it, But wish I did.
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Does everyone have snow tires on their TSX if you're in that part of the country/world? .
What are these things called "snow tires"
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:56 PM
Pro

i dont think the high octane fuel should be a problem...if you can afford a 28-30k$ car....you certainly could afford the extra 80 bucks a year.
it doesnt really snow in hawaii....lol
no bluetooth
kinda wish i had the navi cause it seems pretty cool.....but they dont even offer it here in hawaii...lo.....i think you should go with what you're set on.Ultimately you're the one thats not gonna be happy or happy with it.I think its an excellent car, it has power, styling,class, alot of great standard features, and is just fun to drive.GOOD LUCK choosing
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:59 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by dom
We almost got through one female started thread without someone mentioning pics.

Thanks huckleberry.
Amazing what a gender-biased username will do for getting replies.

I still think
Old 03-22-2006 | 03:06 PM
Instructor

I left the Subaru fold, trading in an 00 RS Impreza 5MT, for my 06 6MT. The Impreza was a great little car, fun as hell to drive and hated parting with it.
My wife has an 02 Legacy GT that I wish we never bought. Maybe it was a bad year, I don't know, but it has soured my opinion on the brand a little bit, as far as reliability and resale.
The new Legacy, especially the GT and GT Ltd, are very nice and with 250 hp very fast. I drove the regular model with 175 and it was ok, too.
It only took one test drive in the TSX and just knew this was for me
I'd suggest taking them all out for an exptended ride and get familiar with them...you'll know which is for you. Good luck!

Matt -
Old 03-22-2006 | 03:54 PM
Instructor

-I do use premium every fill up. You're probably well ahead anyway with the better mileage of the TSX (30+ for TSX) vs Legacy GT or Mazda6

-I live in Minnesota and we recently had a 12" snow and 7" snow. My wife had no problems driving the TSX those days even with the stock tires.

-Bluetooth has been great so far. Some have reported problems with static, but it seems to be phone/provider related

-I don't have navi and although it would be nice to have, I dedicated the money elsewhere.
Old 03-22-2006 | 04:22 PM
Got Phó?

Don't get the TSX, it got to many problems. Go with another one.
Old 03-22-2006 | 04:27 PM
Racer

I think you should also consider the added benefits of owning an Acura vs. Mazda/Subaru/Toyota/Honda, etc.

Specifically, the dealer service, TLC (total luxury care) program, and warranty period (i.e. 4yr/50K Acura vs. 3yr/36K Honda, etc.)

Acura should provide a loaner car / shuttle if you need repairs, etc whereas the others probably do not.

TLC includes roadside assistance (help w/ flat tires, gas, unlocking car, etc)

My wife has an 06 Pilot and I have the TSX, and they are both great cars, but going to the Acura dealer is much more pleasant than Honda.
Old 03-22-2006 | 04:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Welcome here, Kristie.

1. Yes. The fuel economy by using premium will offset the would-be savings made on regular.

2. In my area, 85% of people wear snows on their cars. Word is that snows will become mandatory pretty soon.

3. I don't care for it, I'm too e-challenged for it to be of any use to me.

4. I drive 55,000 miles per year, have never had navi, and still don't feel the need for one. But that's because I am a maphead. Maybe my wife would appreciate the navi..

And you won't regret the TSX.
Old 03-22-2006 | 04:48 PM
Team Owner

Yes. You don't save any money by not putting in premium

No. It doesn't snow enough in this area to justify a dedicated set of "snow" tires though I do have separate all-season tires that I use for the winter since my other tires are true 3-season only tires.

I love the bluetooth. I link my phone up just about every time I get in the car and since I conduct a fair amount of business from inside the car, it's a life saver.

I don't miss the navigation. My family has an RL (which I got to drive for a week) and an MDX. The RL has the built-in nav from Acura and the MDX has an aftermarket nav. I know most places I go well enough to not get lost and my sense of direction is good enough that even in places I haven't been, I tend not to get lost.
Old 03-22-2006 | 05:19 PM
Pro

Why should a person get a TSX?

1 reason: Look at it damnit#$^@#$!Q%@^, it's all a person can want and more!

i lub you tsx.
Old 03-22-2006 | 05:40 PM
Intermediate

1. Actually, I drift from premium to the middle grade plus. I've done each for several tankfulls and I'm finding that my mileage with premium is 2-3 miles less per gallon than with plus. That's with the AC off for most of the past several months. And I don't notice any real difference in performance. I've put on 10,000 miles in the 7 months I've had the car.

2. Louisiana is not a snow area so don't count me in the final tally.

3. My '05 model doesn't have it, have no need for it anyway.

4. No navigation and although I was given a car with one during my first oil-change, I didn't use it. Don't have much of a need either.
Old 03-22-2006 | 05:43 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I'm sure you will have fun w/ the TSX, not ricey but classier than other cars you mentioned. The only thing that a TSX lacks is power, but it's good enough for daily use. If money is not a factor, a Lexus IS250 w/ upgrades will be as nice or nicer than the TSX. However, TSX are like 10K cheaper comes fully loaded.
Old 03-22-2006 | 09:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by chuson
I'm sure you will have fun w/ the TSX, not ricey but classier than other cars you mentioned. The only thing that a TSX lacks is power, but it's good enough for daily use. If money is not a factor, a Lexus IS250 w/ upgrades will be as nice or nicer than the TSX. However, TSX are like 10K cheaper comes fully loaded.

But she'll need a back seat for her 3 year old. Then again, I guess a 3 year old will fit back there, barely.
Old 03-22-2006 | 09:58 PM
Instructor

. . . I really like the TSX and I know Acura is reliable and that's what makes me nervous about Mazda and Subaru. . . .

. . . If you don't have the navigation do you wish you did?
I didn't get nav, but you can't beat it for the WOW factor. But for under $1000, you can get good stand-alone units that you can move from car-to-car (or take on a plane or in rental car for that matter). If interested, go to CNet and do a search on tom tom go or garmin - they have reviews of some of the units. They won't be as cool as factory-installed, but may work as well. You might also want to inquire about the cost of updates. The nav can tell you where the nearest gas station or Italian restaurant is, but the info will, bit-by-bit, become obsolete. At one dealer (Lexus - I didn't buy), the cost of a more current map/dvd was about $500.
If you're concerned about reliability, you might look at the current (April 2006) Consumer Reports. It' s the annual auto issue, and they rate the reliability of most anything you'd be interested in. TSX did very well, but most of the Japanese brands didn't do badly.
Old 03-23-2006 | 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Yes premium
yes snows
no, dont have bluetooth
no navi, can count the times I wish I did on one hand.

I think you will be very happy if you do get a TSX.
Old 03-23-2006 | 07:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Buy the TSX......... Thank me later
Old 03-23-2006 | 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jackacc
I kicked around the Subaru too but one big thing that took it off the list was that the rear seat does not fold down. Alot of pepole may not think that is a big deal but I carry alot of "stuff" in my car for work and more than once, the fold down seat has helped me.
I just bought something this week that required me to fit it through the pass-through. I don't think I could have gotten it in otherwise. I think one other time I used the pass-through.

Things like this you don't always think of when you buy the car, but it is a convenience factor.

It's like buying a car just because it's faster or larger and then complain about high gas prices when you get 16MPG in city driving. I mean, you gotta think about a lot of little things.

Oh, and I took the baby-seat with me to go on test drives. I found the TSX easy to get it in and out (compared to other cars).

I think that with any car, you're going to have maintenance, but IMHO, Toyota and Honda (and related brands) are going to be the most reliable, just in general. I'm not sure about Subaru yet -- we bought one and so far it's great. But it might be worth getting something slightly-less-reliable but has better features or is otherwise more to your liking. That's part of the fun, deciding what you want, test-driving, etc.

(About the other questions.. I always use premium, and get great milage. No snow here, and I rarely would have a need for a navigation unit. Maybe if I travelled more to new places... in which case, like the others said, I'd probably get a hand-held unit.)
Old 03-23-2006 | 07:20 AM
Intermediate

Hi Kristie! I'm sure you have enough input about the subject but I thought I would give in my lovely experience in picking out a car and my .

I went with the TSX because it was the best car for the money I wanted to spend and had all the features I wanted to have without a doubt plus more. The front wheel drive is great in snow, definitely not as nice as 4wd or awd. I keep convincing myself that I will move and won't need the 4wd/awd to go skiing or what not so I bought the TSX, which holds up fine in the city snow

My friend had a loaner TSX and I convinced him to pull some donuts in a snowy empty lot on a light snowy day. The VSA is quite an amazing invention, I must say, after our venture.

And in reply:
>Does everyone put in the high octane at every fill up?
Yes, I do.
>Does everyone have snow tires on their TSX if you're in that part of the country/world?
Just the regular tires that came with the tire.
>Do you like the Bluetooth?
I don't have a bluetooth phone yet But I saw it in action and thinks it's awesome.
>If you don't have the navigation do you wish you did?[/
Yes and no. If someone where to just throw in navi, I'd take it. But I don't really wish I had, for the money I saved, I'm completely happy without it since Salt Lake is so easy to navigate due to our grid system.

Okay, I'll stop blabbing!

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2006 | 09:11 AM
Cruisin'

WOW! This message board is fun! :gheyhug: Thanks again for all the replies. I think I'm convinced to go purchase the TSX. I did test drive it and I do love it! I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something else to consider. I don't have a bluetooth phone, but the fact that it's available in the 06 makes it a nice to have feature. I think I'm going to save the $$ and go without the navigation. I think it would be really cool though. I like the Royal Blue color with Ebony leather.

Didn't you see my pic? The avatar? :wink:
Old 03-23-2006 | 09:37 AM
TSX User

WOW! This message board is fun! :gheyhug: Thanks again for all the replies. I think I'm convinced to go purchase the TSX. I did test drive it and I do love it! I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something else to consider. I don't have a bluetooth phone, but the fact that it's available in the 06 makes it a nice to have feature. I think I'm going to save the $$ and go without the navigation. I think it would be really cool though. I like the Royal Blue color with Ebony leather.

Didn't you see my pic? The avatar? :wink:
Excellent choice in color; hope the deal goes through smoothly.

And, what ever you do, stay away from the "Ramblings" forum.
Old 03-23-2006 | 09:51 AM
2nd Gear

2006TSX Concerns

Hello Kristie,
We boughta TSX w[NAV in January.We have 2 Mercedes cars and I sold a Frod Diesel Pickup we no longer needed. The TSX was more expensive than some of its rivals, but
we expect it to be a low maintenance,high quality car . Also, it handles like a GoKart.
It;s fun to drive and we drove it From L.A. to Las Vegas and back ,cruising at 80-90 mph and got 30.5 mpg overall.If you can affford the purchase cost ,we recommend the
car.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying TSX but have concerns - Convince me!