Thinking About Getting a Mazdaspeed3

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:17 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking About Getting a Mazdaspeed3

Yes... I'm actually really intrigued by its "value". I can truly say that the TSX has been the most satisfying car I've ever owned to this point, but it does leave me wanting for more performance at times. Some of the standard features...

-263hp/280lb-ft
-LSD
-18 inch wheels w/ HP tires
-rain sensing windshield wipers
-HIDs
-LED taillights
-leather interior
-Bose system w/ 6cd in-dash changer and aux port

All this for about $24k gets me nav, along with some extra cargo space (my father-in-law works for Ford, so I'd get invoice pricing) which would be might handy for the snowboarding season.

I have to admint, it's very tempting. While it's nice to have a *more* "marquee" name like Acura than Mazda, that means much less to me than others. I went into my '05 TSX from a '03 Mazda6s V-6 5MT, so I'm familiar with the "newer" Mazda. I know I'd miss the well-integrated Honda/Acura nav system, but if the TSX is the best bang for the buck in the entry level lux market, the new MS3 has to be the best bang for the buck in the sport compact market versus the new SI and GTI (I exclude the WRX and EVO b/c they're AWD platforms). I've considered the Subie and Mitsu, but their saloons are still heavily concentrated on performance, w/ almost complete disregard for interior amentities. They're also much pricier... and while I can afford them, the MS3 seems like a less risky venture.

Anyway, I'm just tossing the idea around in my head, and would be curious to hear some thoughts... I can get some of the amenities that my TSX has, gain some performance and space, and actually reduce my monthly payments (icing on the cake). I don't care for any remarks like "...but it's a Mazda", because that's not a rational remark. Clearly, NO ONE buys an Acura for the name --- they buy it because they get a great all-around package that is reasonably priced, and is very competitive with the true lux brands out there. If you think I'm crazy, tell me... but give me a good reason!
Old 11-19-2006, 11:20 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
I'll warn you. If you test drive one, you will be sold.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 AM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
agreed
Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

That's what I'm afraid of! I was wondering if those on the Honda/Acura side could dissuade me from going over to the "darkside" by preventing me from ever journeying to the source
Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the deal sound terrific on paper ... that's a tough choice! personally, i really don't need all the creature comforts that the tsx offers, so i'd prob jump ship if i were you. however, my tsx will be mine for a few years to come
Old 11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Instructor

they're only making 3000 of them i think, you sure you're going to be able to get one?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:30 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by tracerit
they're only making 3000 of them i think, you sure you're going to be able to get one?
of course, nothing is ever a slam dunk... but the guy i originally bought my 6 from in '03 is still at the dealership, and i've referred some people his way over the last few years. he has 2 at his dealership at the moment...
Old 11-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go for it... sounds like hell of a car!
Old 11-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
since you had a mazda6, did you consider the msp6? i sat in my buddy's for a bit, and man, it's a very tight ride (supportive seats, small/thick steering wheel, nice handling).

i can't find any faults with the msp3. i'm geared more towards the performance side than luxury. i think the msp3 will satisfy all your requirements.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:10 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
since you had a mazda6, did you consider the msp6? i sat in my buddy's for a bit, and man, it's a very tight ride (supportive seats, small/thick steering wheel, nice handling).

i can't find any faults with the msp3. i'm geared more towards the performance side than luxury. i think the msp3 will satisfy all your requirements.
I did consider it awhile back when they first came out, but the one thing that struck me when I went from the 6 to my TSX is that the TSX "feels" like it's a compact car, while the 6 felt more like a mid-size. I'm finding that I like the feeling of smaller vehicles more because of their nimbleness (real or perceived)... in any case, the '06 MS6's are going for a steal right now...
Old 11-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Drifting

^

i hear ya
Old 11-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I say go for it. How's the reliability for Mazda now? I was pretty close to getting the regular Mazda 3 GT over my TSX. The only thing that held me back was the unknown reliability of Mazda. I heard they are alot better now but my dad's horror stories with his old 929 still haunts me. As for the value, the Mazda3 is awesome. It has some features our TSX don't even have and for a few k less.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Go for it. I call dibs on everything on your tsx.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:42 PM
04 A-Spec TSX navi

the ms3 is very heavy for its size, so the large increase in HP may not be that evident. Also, the package features you are listing are part of the grand touring, not sport, package, which is listed at about $25,000. Good luck with the invoice pricing, i know someone who works for Honda and i couldn't get even msrp on a new Si, which is why i have a TSX.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

isn't it turboed?......good stuff go for it
Old 11-19-2006, 01:01 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by taylor314gh
the ms3 is very heavy for its size, so the large increase in HP may not be that evident. Also, the package features you are listing are part of the grand touring, not sport, package, which is listed at about $25,000. Good luck with the invoice pricing, i know someone who works for Honda and i couldn't get even msrp on a new Si, which is why i have a TSX.
As I've said, nothing is certain... but I've had a good experience with my salesperson from the Mazda dealership, and have thrown add'l business his way. It may not be realistic to think he can give me the 1 or 2 MS3s off of his lot, but I'm very confident he'd do as much as he can to help accomodate me within reason (i.e, trying to order one so that he doesn't have to sacrifice potential MSRP sales with in-stock inventory). It's one thing to know someone who works for Honda; it's another to have that person be family. Mazda/Volvo/Ford/Jaguar/Rover/etc. have distinct plans for family vs friends...

Honestly, in my mind, $25k is still quite the bargain.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I compare a Honda Accord to the our TSX, and you all bitch, no look at this guy talking about another brand and everyone is just calm and collected.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Have camera, will travel

Definitely a tempting ride. Let us know how you like it
Old 11-19-2006, 01:31 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

the ms3 is very heavy for its size, so the large increase in HP may not be that evident.
Just an aside... 0-60 in 5.8 seconds? I don't think the power is not only evident; it's SIGNIFICANTLY noticeable. The MS3 is nearly 600lbs. less than our cars.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 PM
05' NHB TSX

Hey guys, my cousin has a 2006 Mazda3 Wagon. Ya its not the Mazdaspeed3 but he's been having a lot of problems with it non the less. It has around 53XX miles and so far he these problems:

1) The HU turns on and everything, but no sound is produced from it. They had to replace the whole HU and it took 2 months to get the parts and install!!!! He has been pissed off the whole time he had been driving without music.

2) He has autodim rearview mirror option and after 3XXX miles, it no longer dims.

3) His front passanger window no longer goes down. That has been fixed but now its making a squeeking sound when it goes down.

After taking 2 months to get the HU we switched to another mazda dealer 40 miles away hoping for better and faster service. It takes them a while to get their parts too (2weeks time).

I know my TSX had problems (Navi mic didn't work, headlight fogging up) but all of these fixes took less then 4 days for me. I also think the Acura dealer offer better service then the Mazda. Just something to think about....

From the specs it looks like a fun car.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:33 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by waTSX
Definitely a tempting ride. Let us know how you like it
I still don't want to jump on anything until I go test drive one... HOWEVER, I was really posting to see if you blokes would say anything to change my mind otherwise! What the heck??!?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:37 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

IMO, the speed 3 feel significantly faster than my CL.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Originally Posted by amadeus303
I still don't want to jump on anything until I go test drive one... HOWEVER, I was really posting to see if you blokes would say anything to change my mind otherwise! What the heck??!?

Mazda has really stepped up their game. I think you'll like it. Hell, I love the new Miata!!

Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by devitocoke
I compare a Honda Accord to the our TSX, and you all bitch, no look at this guy talking about another brand and everyone is just calm and collected.

Need another tampon?

Seriously. Grow up and quit whining like a little b***h
Old 11-19-2006, 01:40 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

MichaelkTSX... thanks for the feedback. That really stinks for your cousin, and I'll DEFINITELY keep those things in mind. One of the people I referred to the Mazda salesman (actually my best friend) purchased a 3 sedan - and he's had no problems to date... which is what makes me feel even more comfortable about going back to Mazda should I choose. He drives his car HARD. I also owned my 6 for nearly 2 years, and didn't have any issues.

One point that I don't overlook, though, is the service. You're absolutely right about that. Mazda service doesn't beat Honda/Acura service, at least in my area... they're ALWAYS courteous and helpful at the Mazda dealership (just like at my Acura dealership), but you definitely get a few other "perks" like free coffee, pastries, a nicer sitting area, they pull up my car curbside when I pick it up, etc.

Originally Posted by MichaelkTSX
Hey guys, my cousin has a 2006 Mazda3 Wagon. Ya its not the Mazdaspeed3 but he's been having a lot of problems with it non the less. It has around 53XX miles and so far he these problems:

1) The HU turns on and everything, but no sound is produced from it. They had to replace the whole HU and it took 2 months to get the parts and install!!!! He has been pissed off the whole time he had been driving without music.

2) He has autodim rearview mirror option and after 3XXX miles, it no longer dims.

3) His front passanger window no longer goes down. That has been fixed but now its making a squeeking sound when it goes down.

After taking 2 months to get the HU we switched to another mazda dealer 40 miles away hoping for better and faster service. It takes them a while to get their parts too (2weeks time).

I know my TSX had problems (Navi mic didn't work, headlight fogging up) but all of these fixes took less then 4 days for me. I also think the Acura dealer offer better service then the Mazda. Just something to think about....

From the specs it looks like a fun car.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

Mazda has really stepped up their game. I think you'll like it. Hell, I love the new Miata!!

Let us know how it goes!

Yeah, the new MX-5's are doing great, and the handling is just unbelievable.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:15 PM
CGP Ebony

If performance is something you need, why not just invest in the CT SC? Assuming you dont have a 05 AT.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You mentioned getting the 3 would reduce your monthly car payments, but you'd be starting over with a new loan, so I don't see the savings. I'd pay off your TSX and keep it for a while. No sense wasting money when you have a perfectly good car right now.

Plus, I don't know about the speed3, but the regular 3 has all red gauges - bright red - everywhere. I found it annoying and bothersome while in my friend's 3. Not to mention the interior materials weren't as nice as the TSX.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:09 PM
05' NHB TSX

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
You mentioned getting the 3 would reduce your monthly car payments, but you'd be starting over with a new loan, so I don't see the savings. I'd pay off your TSX and keep it for a while. No sense wasting money when you have a perfectly good car right now.

Plus, I don't know about the speed3, but the regular 3 has all red gauges - bright red - everywhere. I found it annoying and bothersome while in my friend's 3. Not to mention the interior materials weren't as nice as the TSX.
The gauges is all red when the parking light is not on. The gauges actually have a blue ring around it when you turn the parking lights on. It acutally looks nice at night. If you found it bothersome, it is probably because your friend left it on the day light setting when he turns it on at night. I have to agree that the TSX interior looks way better tho.

As far as the interior material, ya its not as nice as the TSX but for what you are paying, its way better then most. My cousin has a loaded Mazda3 wagon and paid 18k for it compared to my 29k TSX. He previously had a Scion Tc and if you want to talk about crappy material the 05 Tc has them.

I already complained about the Mazda3 issues on the previous page but it does have some nice pros about it.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:12 PM
04 A-Spec TSX navi

Just an aside... 0-60 in 5.8 seconds? I don't think the power is not only evident; it's SIGNIFICANTLY noticeable. The MS3 is nearly 600lbs. less than our cars.
eh, actually it is only 100 pounds lighter- 3260 vs 3156. It is also a smaller car; what i ment was that the increased HP might be deceptive when comparing to other cars, like for instance the Si, which is 300 pounds lighter than the ms3, or the STI, etc. As for comparing it to the TSX, yes, it has more power. But it has less mpg, less driver shoulder room, less driver leg room, and much less luxury. It's also a hatchback, which personally i don't like. I know a few magazines commented on how mazda did little to reduce the weight of this car and how that lowered their overall view of the car.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:28 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Originally Posted by xenonhid
If performance is something you need, why not just invest in the CT SC? Assuming you dont have a 05 AT.
Performance is so much more than power.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Old 11-19-2006, 08:11 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by xenonhid
I can't bring myself to "invest" $4k+ when I can reduce my monthly cash expense and get better acceleration times in vehicles that are still nicely equipped. Acceleration is not the only measure of performance.

With that said, even with a SC, I don't think a TSX could break 5.8...
Old 11-19-2006, 08:11 PM
無限 本田 CL9

true, but then again a car is so much more than just performance
Old 11-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MichaelkTSX
The gauges is all red when the parking light is not on. The gauges actually have a blue ring around it when you turn the parking lights on. It acutally looks nice at night. If you found it bothersome, it is probably because your friend left it on the day light setting when he turns it on at night. I have to agree that the TSX interior looks way better tho.

As far as the interior material, ya its not as nice as the TSX but for what you are paying, its way better then most. My cousin has a loaded Mazda3 wagon and paid 18k for it compared to my 29k TSX. He previously had a Scion Tc and if you want to talk about crappy material the 05 Tc has them.

I already complained about the Mazda3 issues on the previous page but it does have some nice pros about it.
No, actually, on the regular 3, everything, and I mean everything, is bright God awful red...even all the lights surrounding the stereo, heat/ac controls. I didn't look directly at the speedo and that stuff, but I saw too much red over there as well. Rather blinding and monochromatic if you ask me. This was in the day with the lights on (it was raining hard) and at night with the lights on (not just the parking lights). This is on an 06 3s.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:20 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX

I understand your point, but what if I said I'll maintain my monthly car payment level and pay the MS3 off in 1.5 years less (which is about as long as I've owned my TSX - actually, that might be a good idea)? To me, the reduction in monthly expense is just "icing on the cake"... a car is a depreciable asset, so any way you slice it, a car is generally a bad investment if we look at it as merely transportation. Some people choose to spend their money on other things; unfortunately, I have the car bug 3 cars in ~3 years! Luckily, I haven't really taken a big loss on any because they've all held their value pretty well...

As far as the red goes, I'm on the fence. My old 6 had the same scheme, and it didn't bother me... although I think I prefer the white scheme of the TSX. Also, the interior materials are better in the TSX, but we're also talking about different classes here... and the materials in the 3 aren't crappy. The new Lexus IS interior has better fit and finish than our cars in my opinion, but I don't think anyone would argue that the TSX is cheap.

If the red lighting is the worst thing you can point towards in the 3, then I can live with that
Old 11-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

If the red lighting is the worst thing you can point towards in the 3, then I can live with that
Well, I don't know about the worst, because I've never driven it, so I can't comment on the actual driving dynamics. I did notice a lot of cabin noise, but that is to be expected I suppose in that class. The seats were also not that comfortable, and I didn't like the fabric - but I guess that is moot if the speed3 has leather.

I do like the looks of the 3, it just didn't have the whole package I was looking for.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:28 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

eh, actually it is only 100 pounds lighter- 3260 vs 3156. It is also a smaller car; what i ment was that the increased HP might be deceptive when comparing to other cars, like for instance the Si, which is 300 pounds lighter than the ms3, or the STI, etc. As for comparing it to the TSX, yes, it has more power. But it has less mpg, less driver shoulder room, less driver leg room, and much less luxury. It's also a hatchback, which personally i don't like. I know a few magazines commented on how mazda did little to reduce the weight of this car and how that lowered their overall view of the car.
The less MPG is definitely a con, although I expected my fuel efficiency to go down just because I'd be driving it a little different!

The less luxury is worth noting, and my biggest concern is how much I'll miss it. I'm content with the interior of the MS3 --- I actually believe it to be the nicest interior I've seen in the sport compact segment. It's really the Honda nav system that I fear I'll miss the most because of its seamless integration of other functions of the vehicle, as well as the touch screen. I was playing around in the RL at the dealership on my last service visit, and I missed touching the screen. Maybe it's not as "classy" to have the touch screen, but to me --- I'd rather do that than use voice commands... just takes too long.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Must've missed the post Agreed 100%
Old 11-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Registered Car Nut

On paper, from a performance standpoint, the ms3 seems like a good idea. More power, better acceleration, better handling, with a 3 year warranty... speaking of which, if things haven't changed significantly from the MS Protege, you'll use a lot.

My friend got one of the first Speeds (bright f!@#$ orange and all ), and got to know the service manager, the technicians, all the sales people, the general manager and the Mazda customer service people all on a first name basis... he had all sorts of issues with the suspension, turbo, LSD and had a crack engine head. Now, that would annoy me, but the worst of it is that they never had the right parts in stock: mostly, they didn't carry them in stock, but he spent over 3 months with a stock Protege diff because the LSDs were all going bad, and Mazda was trying to figure out what to do next... Of course, Mazda doesn't lend you a car when you bring yours in the shop, so every time, he had to scramble.

He ended up selling it after 3 years and got a Saab 9-3, looking for reliability. I guess that when your car is that unreliable, everything else looks good...

I hope they've turned things around, but I would check the mazdaspeed communities before making that move...

Quick Reply: Thinking About Getting a Mazdaspeed3