Thinking about buying a TSX, but......

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying a TSX, but......

I have a few questions.

Is there a thread on putting normal gas into a TSX? What octane does it require (91?) ? What if you put in higher or lower? Does it burn more fuel if you put in differnt then 91?

What other cars did you guys consider, so far I'm looking at an Altima SL which is about the same price. It's faster 250hp, only 20miles per gallon, ugly taillights, and a kickass bose speaker system. So there's pluses and minuses when comparing the two. What else should I be looking at? I tried a Volvo S40 and didn't like it. The only problem with my acura dealer here is that they won't deal with you cause they sell TSX's even before they come on the lot.

I noticed someone hacked the dvd navigation to play dvd movies, is there a thread on this?

Thanks guys,
Chris
Old 05-09-2006, 09:31 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Welcome aboard. Since this is the very first reply to your very first post, I will keep talking after I tell you to do a search as there are MANY posts answering BOTH your questions that would have been easier to to search for than ask for.

Yes, you need to put in 91, and you will lose fuel efficiency as well as performance if you put in lower-grade fuel. A higher octane rating is fine. Contrary to popular belief the brand of gas station you go to or any other variation in your gasoline makes absolutely no difference.

Personally I wouldn't drive an Altima SL if Nissan paid ME thirty large. You can improve your sound system easily (far beyond any car's factory audio) simply by spending a couple hundred bucks on good speakers. If you don't know what you're doing, just go to a good sound shop (not best buy or tweeter!) and have them sell and install you something.

Go into your dealer, tell them how much you will pay for the car you want (check out the three or four price threads on the first page to make sure you have a reasonable offer), and if they don't take it, leave. I bet there are plenty of dealers within two hundred miles of you. Would you drive 400 miles round trip for $2000? $5 a mile is about ten times the typical trucker's salary, and at an average of 40mph (including stops) it's $200 an hour, which is good pay for just about anyone.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

TONS of excellent info here, and a great search engine as well.

Echo...echo. Definitely run 91 octane in the car. If that's an issue, take it off your list. I usually don't think of "kickass" and "bose" in the same sentence, but that's just me. I'd MUCH rather have a system I can personalize - which is generally not an option with a Bose system. Your ears, though - go with what you like.

We considered the Audi A3 and a used A4, and had the '07 Camry on our list. We didn't get that far because my wife loved the TSX. I really recommend driving everything and going with what you like. If you're happy with the car, paying sticker or close to it is a small premium. Don't pay less for a car you don't like only for a discount.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Instructor

As prices of gas keep going up, the cost delta of premium goes down. If they keep the difference between the grades the same that is.

Where I fill up the difference is only $0.10 per gallon. At 2.65 for regular and 2.75 for premium, you are only paying 3.8% more for premium. If somehow the stars align and gas goes down to $1.40 and $1.50 respectively, then you are paying a 7.1% difference. You are probably not going to make up either cost in your loss in mileage, so just use the premium. The car gets awesome mileage for what it is, and that's what matters most.