Thinking about buying a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 04:33 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thinking about buying a TSX

Hey Guys,
I'm new to this forum. I currently drive a 2000 toyota 4runner limited. The truck was ok at first, but as i've been driving around in Atlanta, the truck started to feel a little big and heavy and also didn't have as much pep as i would like it to be. But i didn't realize that until after i bought it. Anyways... the only other car i've ever driven is my friend's 2000 S430 Mercedes. The TSX does not rank near that, in the HP dept or torque dept. So i have no idea what 200 horses feels like. I mean... i do... but my local dealer only gives you pretty short drives. I dunno why, but they do. I only went a few miles and there weren't any good roads around to test. So... i couldn't get a REAL feel for the car. But... for what i did feel. I LOVE IT. A couple of things i need to get over before i decide on actually purchasing the TSX. Have you guys ever had a problem with the TSX Only being a 4 cylinder? or the TSX being front wheel drive? Typically sport sedans are rear wheel drive and at least a V6. Can you guys tell me is the inline 4 is sufficient power? Also, is it one of those cars that it feels great at first but then the greatness kind of fades as the car gets old? How about front wheel drive? I'm not a racer, but how are your responses when you need to punch off the line to switch lanes before the next intersection? or how does front wheel drive react through fast corners? Is there a low of understeer? Also... how does the inline 4 do with a loaded 5 people on board? Can it still hold it's own? or does it slack a little?

thanks
sorry for the long post.
Aaron

Oh yes, one more thing. Is there any other car that you guys would recommend for about the same price and features and performance?

thanks again
Old 09-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want an entry-lux car then the tsx is deffinitly the best way to spend 30gs. i was between the TSX, 325i, c230 sedan, and a g35. the g35 will end up being almost 35gs with the premium package and the nav (a nav was a must have for my new car) plus the nav in the g35 suckx because theres no touch screen and you can only program it when the car is parked. Thbe 325i does nothing but say " hey, look at me, i cant afford a 330i". the benz was nice, but pricey when you add all the options you get in thew tsx, plus it had the worst nav, still cd based. as far as power is concerned, the TSX has ample power as long as you keep the rpms up. thats what i like about it, i acually prefer to not have all that gass guzzling power down low. i like to be able to conserve gas during normal driving. but when i wanna tear shit up, i just down shift a few gears, and let it rip
Old 09-05-2003, 09:23 AM
More On

Sounds like there's a good chance you'll like the TSX, but -- a couple of things:

(1) Really you should MAKE SURE that you get a longer and better test drive. Either try to be assertive and strong about it with the same dealer -- tell them you're serious about getting the car but you can't make this important decision without a test drive that gives you a fuller idea, etc. etc.; or, find another dealer, even if you have to go a distance.

(2) Sounds like you also should try a few other cars, and different types too. If the 4Runner feels "a little" too big, there's a lot of cars in between that and the TSX. And the TSX is A LOT smaller. (Some of the dimensions look close, but overall they're not similar size, and they don't feel anywhere similar IMO.)
Old 09-05-2003, 10:24 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by larchmont
(2) Sounds like you also should try a few other cars, and different types too. If the 4Runner feels "a little" too big, there's a lot of cars in between that and the TSX. And the TSX is A LOT smaller. (Some of the dimensions look close, but overall they're not similar size, and they don't feel anywhere similar IMO.)
Hey Larch,
If you ever want to give up the "More On" title, it seems that "Size Matters" would fit you just as well.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

I have absolutely no problems with the car being 4 cylinder or FWD.

It's got plenty to give if you want it to go, but don't expect something that'll shoot off the line. Then again, I've never really tried.

Winter in this area can be horrendous, so FWD is a great thing...there is no way I'd go with a RWD vehicle.

To give you an idea, I was looking at the 325xi and Audi A4 at first. I had not heard of the TSX and just stopped by the Acura dealer next to the BMW one and the guy showed me the TSX.

I've had five other people in the car and I had no problems getting around other cars. Take it for an extended test drive and test it out. This car's got plenty to offer.

If you're worried about it being 4 cylinder, I suggest you find something else to worry about. I was used to driving an Impreza and though it's not as "fun" (considering I got the 5AT), it's still got plenty of go when I need it (that's a 4 cylinder vs. a turbo).

Great car.

Naptown out.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:26 AM
Drifting

Wow, thanks for all your replies guys. How about the front wheel drive? Do you guys find any understeer problems? I mean... my 4runner is rear wheel drive and even though it's an SUV. It's corners really well after i upgraded to Bilstein shocks. Typically dont front wheel drive cars drive different than rear wheel drive cars? I've driven my aunt's toyota avalon that's front wheel drive. To tell you the truth, i dont really like how that feels. But with the short test drive that i had... i didn't really have a chance to feel the difference. Can anyone tell me about their opinions on the FWD situation and the typical sport sedan thing? I thought that typical sport sedans were RWD?

thanks again guys
sorry for all the questions. Just want to be sure that i'm making the right choice. I seem to love everything about the TSX so far.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:05 AM
Possessed with my Schemes

Someone else here can be more specific, but the handling numbers on the TSX are better than many rear wheel drive cars. If your coming from an SUV, you'll love the TSX's handling. At first, the car felt rather tall too me coming from a Honda Prelude, but once I started pressing it in the turns, I haven't yet been disapointed. I recommend and harder test drive to ease your concerns. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro

SUV's suck. Get a regular mans car. You don't need any of that soccer mom crap.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:27 AM
Houston we have a problem

TSX handles really good for a FWD car. The understeer is really mild, and the cornering limit is quite high. FWD driving technique is different from RWD (I switched from RWD too), and it take some time getting used to. The engine is peppy and like to be reved. Basically, the car's dynamic will give you more than enough for day to day driving.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my TSX. But, if I were you I'd probably wait a few weeks and see what the new TL is like. Then, pick the Acura you like best!
Old 09-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Advanced

I did the same thing with my Ford truck.
You just can't zip through traffic with a big vehicle (although I seem to see enough people attempting it with one).
The best advice is keep doing your homework. This segment is expanding in the car industry and there will always be something new next month.
Price will also dictate. Manual or auto tranny. Sport or luxury suspension. Fuel milage concerns.
Some people will even decide from the need for premium fuel or regular.
I bought the TSX for an all purpose, fun to drive, reliable day drive. I hated the truck I owned even though it was a fine vehicle. It had no Passion! It was a chore to drive, not something you actually can't wait to get off work and go take for a spin.
Good luck.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:03 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

If you're worried about the TSX's handling ability compared to your 4Runner, it's apples and oranges, man. You can take a 20-mph curve in the TSX at nearly 35 mph! You can take freeway cloverleaf onramps at full throttle (thanks, in part, to the VSA system). While there is slight understeer at the limits of traction, the TSX handles better than I believed production passenger cars were capable of.

For reference, I own a 97 Pathfinder and a 93 Accord. I also owned a 92 Sentra SE-R <--great little car!

You can't really compare your 4Runner's handling to the TSX. They're 2 completely different types of vehicles. I would place bets that your 4Runner would exhibit a lot more understeer at the limit than the TSX. I know my Pathfinder does!

As for your last question about competitive vehicles for the same price, the only other cars that come to mind are the 03 Accord V6 and a fully-equipped Mazda6 V6. I cross-shopped those vehicles (and many others), and found the TSX to be a notch above in both quality and design. No other vehicles have the same value as the TSX because other competitive models (i.e. A4, 325-series, G35, IS300), when equipped similarly, cost thousands more.

You know, the TSX lacks the cargo carrying capacity of the 4Runner, so you need to consider other criteria for buying a sport sedan than understeer and HP. Would you be keeping or trading the 4Runner?
Old 09-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Excellent response Xplor!
Old 09-07-2003, 02:19 PM

TSX handles really good for a FWD car. The understeer is really mild

Because the car has no power at all!!

Mod Edit: Everything he says is accurate except for the lack of power. I came from a CL-S and the TSX is plenty fast.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It only has as much power as it's competitors (A4, 325, Saab), so if that isn't enough power for you, then get a car that can go really fast in a straight line but can't keep up in the curves (a la Accord v6). Being a bigger car, the Accord probably has more cargo space than the TSX, if that's a priority.

Getting both power and handling will take you above the price range. The TSX is not a race car. It is a fun car, with good power, good handling, and good features at a good price. However, one might say that the only thing it is best only at is being good at everything. If you want an emphasis on one particular thing, then the TSX may not be the right car for you.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by adam fiooz
TSX handles really good for a FWD car. The understeer is really mild

Mr positive comment strikes again!
Old 09-07-2003, 05:12 PM

j/k tsx is a sweet car.hopefully they come out with a supercharger for it soon.booya
Old 09-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Houston we have a problem

Originally posted by adam fiooz
So what? It has more than enough. If you emphasize straight line speed, get an SVT cobra.

To the thread starter:
I have driven quite a number of cars, ranging from 800cc 60hp 3cylinder to 4000cc 400hp V8. However, I found that huge power does not lead to driving pleasure. For me, a tossable, well balanced car provides the greatest fun. Since you asked the cornering ability of the car, I figure you don't live by straight line acceleration. Thus TSX is quite a nice choice even if it doesn't have gut crunching acceleration. Just my opinion.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:02 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

After I had driven the TSX for a week or so, my wife asked me if I had seen how fast it could go. I replied "nope, not yet"; I hadn't driven it faster than about 90mph. I did tell her, however, that I drove very quickly (2nd gear, heavy throttle) on a notoriously winding mountain road (15-20mph curves), where if a passenger were with me, they would either be screaming "Let me out!" or holding onto the OhShit handle for dear life. I kept exclaiming to myself out loud, "Holy $h!T- this car rocks!" during that 15-minute experience. High speed is much scarier to me than low speed twisties. There's not a chance in hell I'd keep the shiny side of my SUV up if I pushed it that hard. After that driving experience, I was totally sold on the car.

Go for a test drive, Aaron. Drive it a little more agressively around corners than you might normally. Just warn the sales guy first!
Old 09-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Drifting

I really appreciate all of the responses guys. To XPLOR, Cargo space is not really a problem for me because i will be keeping my 4runner. Thanks to all you people who put the emphasis on the TSX not being good in only one or two fields. I understand now that it's a good all around, powerful good handling car and comfortable. I appreciate all of your personal responses. You have influenced me a lot. I'm thinking that my next car will most likely be a TSX. probably a CG with ebony interior with NAV. I'm still sort of undecided between AT or MT but since i'm from Atlanta where rush hour traffic is horendous, i will probably be choosing the AT, although MT is more fun to drive.
Man, Just looking at pics makes me love the car more and more. I'm almost hooked!

thanks again
Aaron
Old 09-10-2003, 01:33 AM
Drifting

Whoa! I've just been reading a couple of threads from the past few days. Is the rattle situation really as bad as the threads say that they are? This must be a problem that only the TSX has right now. I've never heard of a Honda/Acura having this type of problem before. Prior to reading all of those threads, i loved absolutely everything about the TSX. Then i started reading the rattling problems, a few people had trouble with their seats shifting from left to right? Then rattling from panels with your the radios... DO you guys think the problem will ever be fixed?
I still love the TSX, and i still want to buy one. But... i'm not so sure if it will have all these little problems. Can somebody PLEASE try and pursuade me back into buying a TSX again?

thanks
Old 09-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Alin10123
Whoa! I've just been reading a couple of threads from the past few days. Is the rattle situation really as bad as the threads say that they are? This must be a problem that only the TSX has right now. I've never heard of a Honda/Acura having this type of problem before. Prior to reading all of those threads, i loved absolutely everything about the TSX. Then i started reading the rattling problems, a few people had trouble with their seats shifting from left to right? Then rattling from panels with your the radios... DO you guys think the problem will ever be fixed?
I still love the TSX, and i still want to buy one. But... i'm not so sure if it will have all these little problems. Can somebody PLEASE try and pursuade me back into buying a TSX again?

thanks
Ok put it this way Alin: I have vibration noises in my car and I wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a TL). These aren't really rattles in the traditional American-car sense of the word, they are vibration noises coming from the driver and passenger doors from either loud bass or harsh roadways. In my case, they are there off and on and pose little concern for me. I will have the dealership take a look during my first oil change. That's it. It's no big deal, nothing major. Do NOT let it affect your enthusiasm for the car because it's really a minor problem.