Thanks K&N

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks K&N

I purchased the K&N Typhoon several weeks back from an online auto accessories site. Last week-end while installing the intake, I was missing a piece from the package. I was certain I didn't misplace it. The piece missing was the connecting hose that goes inbetween the pipes. I tried contacting the guys I bought it from, but without a response, so for several days I was running the short ram version.
This is the cool part: I emailed K&N about it. I faxed them my info, proof of purchase, and what I needed. Within 2 days, I got the part. And guess what? They did this for free!! The part and shipping were compliments of K&N.

Thanks K&N!

Oh, and the intake sounds great!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice, I appreciate companies that take accountability for their mistakes... dyno?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
K&N owns!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I have a very different opinion of them - I think their stuff is crap. I had one of their intakes on my 4Runner, it was so poorly designed it pulled a mounting bolt through my fender causing serious body damage. And the Filtercharger design is also way out of date - it let so much fine dust and filter oil through that my throttle body started sticking and stalling the truck. I took it off, cleaned the throttle body and put the stock airbox back on & it never stalled again. I later found out that other people had the same problems AND the thing caused the truck to loose power because it just worsened the problem of supercharged trucks running lean.

2HP isn't worth engine damage. Airbox & paper filter RULZ!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by NDLunchbox
Wow, I have a very different opinion of them - I think their stuff is crap. I had one of their intakes on my 4Runner, it was so poorly designed it pulled a mounting bolt through my fender causing serious body damage. And the Filtercharger design is also way out of date - it let so much fine dust and filter oil through that my throttle body started sticking and stalling the truck. I took it off, cleaned the throttle body and put the stock airbox back on & it never stalled again. I later found out that other people had the same problems AND the thing caused the truck to loose power because it just worsened the problem of supercharged trucks running lean.

everyone has been very happy w/ the K&N intake for the TSX
Old 07-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

i am with you man, you the funny part? every time i see someone buy another CAI and spend all that money for what could be a whopping 2 hp from a 200 hp engine. you know 2 hp is a 1% gain and people rave about it like it just added 20 hp.
the fact of the matter is if you can make a car sound like rice they think the car is faster. you cant possibly belive that you can actually feel 2hp gains on a 200 hp motor. hell even barometric pressure and humidity changes can account for that much. you could even run on a 1/4 full tank of gas verses full and see a lower time at a track that is more significant than any CAI would make.
i think ill go into business making some of these rice parts. its so amazing to me how you can mandrel bend a peice of aluminum and stick a gauze/ oil impregnated filter on the end, post up some dyno plot that shows a gain and sell it for a couple hundred bucks. there is less than 10 bucks manufacturers cost into one of thoes things yet people pay hundreds to buy a peice of junk like that.

it's like a placebo effect, personally i prefer the car to be quiet. if i end up smoking someone from light to light its even more embarrassing for the other guy if he can tell by the sound of the car its totally stock.
i usually enjoy racing kids with all the fart exhaust and fart intakes. thoes are the ones that think they are fast and they are usually the ones that are easy to beat.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You people crack me up. Oil going through in the TB? Have you thought about improper maintenance and excessive oiling the filter? Mounting bolt pulled off the fender? Is it possible the motor mounts are worn and cause excessive movement of the motor? You do realize the SC puts out large amount of torque. right? I installed poly motor mounts on my SC Civic to minimize motor movement. What about incorrect installation of the intake? 2hp? Where did you guys come up with these numbers? You do realize there is a dyno result thread with posted intake results. right?

Btw, I do have a Toyota pickup with a K&N filter, as well as owning a supercharged Civc with a K&N filter. Well I have K&N filter on all of my cars for that matter without any of those problems you decribed. Just so you know, the Toyota also has an air inlet tube for the PCV system that connects to the stock intake tube. The blowby gases from the crankcase will make the TB dirty regardless which filter you use, as it is located after the filter and before the TB. Don't let one bad experience of another car cloud your judgement on everything else about a product.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
You people crack me up. Oil going through in the TB? Have you thought about improper maintenance and excessive oiling the filter? Mounting bolt pulled off the fender? Is it possible the motor mounts are worn and cause excessive movement of the motor? You do realize the SC puts out large amount of torque. right? I installed poly motor mounts on my SC Civic to minimize motor movement. What about incorrect installation of the intake? 2hp? Where did you guys come up with these numbers? You do realize there is a dyno result thread with posted intake results. right?

Btw, I do have a Toyota pickup with a K&N filter, as well as owning a supercharged Civc with a K&N filter. Well I have K&N filter on all of my cars for that matter without any of those problems you decribed. Just so you know, the Toyota also has an air inlet tube for the PCV system that connects to the stock intake tube. The blowby gases from the crankcase will make the TB dirty regardless which filter you use, as it is located after the filter and before the TB. Don't let one bad experience of another car cloud your judgement on everything else about a product.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:14 PM
VSA Rocks

After all of the allegations against K&N above, what was their official response? I'm assuming you had contacted them since you/others were convinced that it was their so-called 'outdated' design that damaged your engine.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso

Actually the FIPKII had a design flaw where it didn't have enough flex (there is a reason 4Runners have rubber air tubes between the TB & the air box) - non SC engines had same problem. Don't lecture me on the 5VZFE, I know more about tht engine than you could ever hope to. You want to see proof that K&N is crap? Go to www.gadgetonline.com - he is the god of the 4Runner circle and his site confirms everything I said.

And I never re-oiled my FIPK, it was withing 10,000 miles that it started causing the TB to stick, and it wasn't from the PCV as the oily goo on the TB was red - a dead give away.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
After all of the allegations against K&N above, what was their official response? I'm assuming you had contacted them since you/others were convinced that it was their so-called 'outdated' design that damaged your engine.
I ebayed it off on someone as foolish as I was (ie. didn't do my research) and welded some washers to the fender to fix my truck. I replaced the FIPKII with an AMSOIL filter and the truck pinged less and never stalled again. In hindsight, I would have just stuck with a paper filter.

K&N enjoys a cult-like following (I know, I used to be a true beleiver) - but the simplest test remains the truest... hold it up to the light and you can see the holes. K&N themselves admitts that the dirtier it gets, the better it filters... so guess where everything goes BEFORE it gets dirty? YOUR ENGINE!

Finally, NASCAR uses K&N... that's reason enough for me not to.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I've always been known to "diss" K&N, because I've never seen positive results with them. But then again, I think that most people never service the filter properly and on time, which maybe the reason why.

Thus, I suggest servicing the filter properly regularly, and doing annual oil analysis to ensure that the filter is allowing dirt to "eat up" your engine, and to get yourself another filter if the seal goes bad.

I do have faith that if used properly, K&Ns can work well.

Michael
Old 07-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Instructor

100% agree with the oil analysis... I'm just too lazy to do it!