Test drove a TSX today

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 11:35 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drove a TSX today

"Where's the power at?"

That was the first thing that popped into my mind as I turned VSA off and let her rip. It's a slug. I've driven faster stock civics than that which are rated at much lower HP/TQ. Where's all that 200 hp going to the air conditioning?

Needless to say I wasn't completely dissappointed.

The attention to detail on building this car is twice as good as on my CLS. Every little thing was done on this car to make it as luxurious as possible. It was a very comfortable car and the navigation was to beautiful. I wish I knew how to work the voice activation on it. The doors have a very heavy feel to them when you close them and the door sills are a nice accent. I even took the time to sit in the back seat which was pretty decent though I'm a 5'9" 170lb guy. Anyone bigger/taller than me would have some trouble fitting back there. The sound system is decent and definitely sounds better than my stock bose one. Also, I liked the aluminum trim going all the way across. The one I drove was silver with the nice graphite or gunmetal looking upgraded wheels and navi. Interior was a camel or beige color of some sort.
The shifting was very far from front to back. I'm not used to that coming from my 6 speed CLS.

Overall it's ok but not for that price. I'd be driving a Honda Accord for less money and a V6 with more umph.

JMHO though.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:40 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

oh yeah, I forgot to add that I like the Mercedes style side mirrors with the blinkers and exterior of the car looks amazing in person. It's pimpin' and the 17s look huge on that car. It's a lot bigger on the outside than the pictures show thought the inside is a bit smaller than expected.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:50 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Test drove a TSX today

Originally posted by civic4982
"Where's the power at?"

That was the first thing that popped into my mind as I turned VSA off and let her rip. It's a slug. I've driven faster stock civics than that which are rated at much lower HP/TQ. Where's all that 200 hp going to the air conditioning?

If you are comparing to your cl type -s ..then ya the TSX is going to feel slow. But compared to its competition and def compared to a stock civic its got plenty of balls. The TSX is more about handling than straight line performance though, and thats really where the fun is.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:51 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

stock civic SI rated at 160HP feels a lot quicker for some reason. Cna you guys help me out here?
Old 09-08-2003, 11:51 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

also, the handling is very floaty, I expected better from all I've been hearing.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:52 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

oh and one more thing... is there VTEC on this car? I don't really feel it as much as I did on the RSX Type S...
Old 09-08-2003, 11:55 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also, the handling is very floaty, I expected better from all I've been hearing.
WHAT car did you say that was? (Doesn't sound like our guy.)
Old 09-08-2003, 11:59 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Yes there is i-vtec...so you dont feel any vtec rush. Its a very smooth linear torque curve so you dont "Feel" like you are going fast...but when you glance art your speedo you will be surprised.

TSX handling floaty? If you think the TSX handles floaty you will think the accord handles like a wheel barrow.

As for the civic si...i actually think the 1/4 and 0-60 will be almost the same. But the civic is much much lighter which is why it needs less hp. But the TSX will have much more torque..especially down low because of i-vtec.

Bottom line on the TSX is that its a all round performer. Even though there may be some car that beats it in one category...it does everything well.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:15 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by larchmont
WHAT car did you say that was? (Doesn't sound like our guy.)
I was turning underneath the freeway on one of those u turn things at a decent speed. around 30 or so. The car rolled heavily and did not have a tight feel to the road. Hence I call floaty.

As for the Civic SI, it runs mid 15s to high 15s stock. I wholeheartedly doubt a TSX will run near that after riding in it. It's a 16 second car and there's no way around that. It doesn't even handle nearly as well as the Civic SI IMHO. You could be right on the flat tq curve. I didn't really feely any acceleration and wasn't paying much attention to the speedo. I could have totally missed it.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:17 AM
Drifting

stock civic SI rated at 160HP feels a lot quicker for some reason. Cna you guys help me out here?
Yeah, let me get you the crack pipe...
Old 09-09-2003, 02:36 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Jason : I dunno, I drove one today and that's how it felt to me... like a slug...
Old 09-09-2003, 02:40 AM
Drifting

Jason : I dunno, I drove one today and that's how it felt to me... like a slug...
Last month I traded in my CL-S for this TSX. Now I'm not gonna sit here and tell you the TSX is fast, but it's no slug. Also, the TSX handles very nicely and kills the CL-S in that area.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:24 AM
Inspired

Its really simple. 160 hp/2600 pounds vs. 200 hp/3300 pounds.

A 700 pound difference with only 40 hp.

Your Acura CL 6 speed. 260 hp/3450 pounds.

See what I'm getting at? Power to weigh ratio is where its at. Try driving a Honda CRX SiR (if you ever get the chance)

1900 pounds and 170 hp

Now, the TSX isn't about speed, its speed is adequate. Its HANDLING is 5 star, the interior is amazing and in terms of value, its wonderful.

The Accord V6 is a different animal, they're apples and oranges really. But they do compete, after all, some people decide to go fruit shopping and just pick whichever one seems to be best that day.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:56 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Civic, I agree that it is no speed demon. But people that ride in my car actually think the ride is too harsh. The TSX corners on rails, PERIOD. I think peoples views can become distorted at times during a test drive, I dunno. Have you driven other cars for comparison?

I first took my car on the on-ramp at 50mph and WAS SHOCKED at how level and steady the car was, didnt move or roll AT ALL. Dont know what else could be wrong....sorry man, I love my car Feel good everytime i drive it.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:14 AM
Instructor

"Where's the power at?"

The one I drove was silver with the nice graphite or gunmetal looking upgraded wheels and navi. Interior was a camel or beige color of some sort.
Why are you people even bothering with this??? The TSX doesn't come with this color combo!! This guy is obviously lying!!
Usually I just stay out of BS threads but this one I couldn't avoid.
If I am wrong I will gladly admit it.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:12 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Couldnt he be talking about Quartz??
Old 09-09-2003, 07:53 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
Couldnt he be talking about Quartz??
I don't think anyone would describe the light gray of quartz as "camel or beige". Sounds like he was talking about the parchment interior.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:56 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Re: Re: Test drove a TSX today

Originally posted by sheik28
Why are you people even bothering with this??? The TSX doesn't come with this color combo!! This guy is obviously lying!!
Usually I just stay out of BS threads but this one I couldn't avoid.
If I am wrong I will gladly admit it.
Please, BS thread? Test drove at David McDavid Acura in Austin, TX. A friend of mine works there and tossed me the keys since I've been itching to drive one for a while.

It may have slipped my mind on what color the interior was. I think I may have confused it with the one on the showroom floor that I was sitting in. My apologies.

I don't lie...

RogerPodacter: It could be just b/c I'm coming from a lowered car with sways that I feel the ride was floaty. I don't know if the "PERIOD" belongs after the it cornering on rails though. I haven't test driven the new Accord yet so I can suppose that it handles much better than that. Perhaps I merely expected to much. There was definitely roll though even at the lower speeds I was pushing it around that turn.

kenbiddulph: point well taken. I dind't realize how heavy this beats was.

Jason: the only area in which I feel the CL-S gets killed in when compared to the TSX is interior value and attention to details on build quality. Performance wise I can't imagine a TSX doing anything but watch me run circles around it.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not trying to bash this car, just giving my honest opinions. I'll say again though that inside and out this was a better built car than my own even if it lacks in the performance category.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
CL-S run circles around a TSX ?? I don't think so. Go over to Temple of Vtec and read the TSX vs Accord Coupe 6MT Comparison. The Accord had difficulty keeping up with the TSX in the twisties. The TSX will outhandle a CL or Accord any day of the week.

Civic4982, just so you know a 6MT TSX has been tested as fast as 7.2 to 60 and 15.6 in the 1/4 mile. And members on this board have gone quicker through the 1/4 mile than that. A new Civic Si 2003 onward would have difficulty going that fast but a 00 or 01 Si would easily beat that, which do you drive? Either way tbe TSX is no drag strip racer, I'd be surprised if my Auto could go to 60 in 8.5 seconds but once its moving thats when you realize the car is no slouch.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Test drove a TSX today

....RogerPodacter: It could be just b/c I'm coming from a lowered car with sways that I feel the ride was floaty...
are you saying your CL-S is lowered with sways? if yes, then duh of course handling would be better on your CL-S...
Old 09-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Racer

I was turning underneath the freeway on one of those u turn things at a decent speed. around 30 or so. The car rolled heavily and did not have a tight feel to the road. Hence I call floaty.
FLOATY is the one thing I've never heard anyone say about the TSX. I would say the only car that out handles the TSX is this particular segment is the BMW3 series and before you noticed the BMW edge you would have be driving harder than 30 on an off ramp.

...I didn't really feely any acceleration and wasn't paying much attention to the speedo. I could have totally missed it.
Alot of people have discussed how they don't feel the acceleration or speed of the TSX. I think if you drive the TSX again and watch the speedo you may have a different opinion. It's better than a 16sec car. But another thing that I think you're missing is what the TSX is about. It should never be compared to a Civic Si. That's a little like comparing a Ford F150 with Toyota Matrix.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 AM
VTECSTASY!

A new Civic Si 2003 onward would have difficulty going that fast but a 00 or 01 Si would easily beat that

its 99-00 Civic Si. And it CANNOT easily beat a 15.6. A 99-00 Civic si (b16a2) runs a 15.7 stock. So the TSX still RAPES an Si... i found that out first hand last night. I was next to one at a light and we gunned it through 3rd. I got at least 2 car lengths before i let off.

ANYWAY... back to the CL-S. Its built on the same platform as the v6 accord so the handling characteristics should be similar. I've driven my friends Accord v6 and after a couple twisties, I was begging to get back into my TSX. The understeer is TERRIBLE... especially if you give it a little gas through the turn. It feels as if the car just wants to go straight. I'm sure its quite the same with a CL-S. You really can't get the feel for the car after ONE test drive. I didnt TRULY appreciate my car until i had it for a couple months. Again... straight line is a different story... but the suspension on the TSX is DEFINATELY one of its strongest qualities and it simply shines in this department.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Well this guy obviously doesnt know much about cars or cant drive. Or maybe both.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:47 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by onenonlieTSX
A new Civic Si 2003 onward would have difficulty going that fast but a 00 or 01 Si would easily beat that

its 99-00 Civic Si. And it CANNOT easily beat a 15.6. A 99-00 Civic si (b16a2) runs a 15.7 stock. So the TSX still RAPES an Si... i found that out first hand last night. I was next to one at a light and we gunned it through 3rd. I got at least 2 car lengths before i let off.
Good to hear. I figured, especially off the line that an 00 or 01 Si would take the TSX. I still think its a driver's race though, but who really cares they don't compete anyway.

I'm also starting to appreciate the TSX more and more everyday. 1 testdrive will definently not be enough to truly judge this car. I personally find that the harder its pushed through a corner the more composed and flat the car feels. Taking a turn slowly does'nt alllow the car to bite down and grip like it can. That's how I feel anyway.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:02 AM
VTECSTASY!

Originally posted by domn
Good to hear. I figured, especially off the line that an 00 or 01 Si would take the TSX. I still think its a driver's race though, but who really cares they don't compete anyway.

I'm also starting to appreciate the TSX more and more everyday. 1 testdrive will definently not be enough to truly judge this car. I personally find that the harder its pushed through a corner the more composed and flat the car feels. Taking a turn slowly does'nt alllow the car to bite down and grip like it can. That's how I feel anyway.
Yes. The suspension really has a progressive feel. At low speeds its plush and comfortable (moderate body roll) but at high speeds it stiffens up and hugs the road quite nicely. Throw in aftermarket springs and shocks in there and ur ready to go.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Cruisin'

Why is it that everyone always compares 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

It's a freakin' entry level Lux car! It's not a race car!

The car handles EXCELLENT for the market segment it is targetting it has MORE handling abilities than the average driver would ever use day to day.

It doesn't have the KICK of VTEC because of the I-VTEC it's smooth and if you don't look at the speedo you won't realize your speed.

Just to clarify this is coming from an RX8 owner, the TSX was on my list and I still think it is a great car for the money. The interior is A+ and the styling is subtle but great.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by kenbiddulph
Its really simple. 160 hp/2600 pounds vs. 200 hp/3300 pounds.
160/2600 = 6.154 hp/100 pounds
200/3300 = 6.061 hp/100 pounds

Pretty close. If you take it that the TSX weighs 3250, you get even numbers.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:00 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
160/2600 = 6.154 hp/100 pounds
200/3300 = 6.061 hp/100 pounds

Pretty close. If you take it that the TSX weighs 3250, you get even numbers.

What about torque to weight? which is what really counts in most situations.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:05 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Re: Re: Re: Test drove a TSX today

I don't know if the "PERIOD" belongs after the it cornering on rails though.
I'll agree with that. I guess i should stress that from my own driving expreience it seems like that. Certainly it wont compare to a lowered car with after market springs. But try and find much better STOCK, 325 is the only car that comes to mind. TSX by no means has floaty shocks though...
Old 09-09-2003, 12:57 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fdl
What about torque to weight? which is what really counts in most situations.
HP/weight is the better predictor of overall performance.

For example, typical diesel motors have almost twice the torque as a comparable gas engine but are generally slower because they can maintain said torque over only a narrow range of RPM.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:21 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by rb1
HP/weight is the better predictor of overall performance.

For example, typical diesel motors have almost twice the torque as a comparable gas engine but are generally slower because they can maintain said torque over only a narrow range of RPM.

Yes...hp will show you who will be faster in the 1/4 mile ect...but IMO torque to weight will show you you more realistic performance...on other words...having that torque on tap for day to day driving, or for rolling starts. I think the TSX will definately have the advantage over the SI here.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Pro

go test drive the car again, and push it above 4500 and keep it above that, you'll feel the speed!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:03 PM
who's right, who's wrong?

Personally I think you might be setting your expectations too high. It's gonna be relatively quick, but it isn't going to be a straight line speed demon, nor was it intended to be. IMO, anyone who buys a Honda and expects it to be fast right out of the box is sorely mistaken. I sure didn't buy my Si because it was fast.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Wing
Why is it that everyone always compares 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

It's a freakin' entry level Lux car! It's not a race car!

The car handles EXCELLENT for the market segment it is targetting it has MORE handling abilities than the average driver would ever use day to day.

It doesn't have the KICK of VTEC because of the I-VTEC it's smooth and if you don't look at the speedo you won't realize your speed.

Just to clarify this is coming from an RX8 owner, the TSX was on my list and I still think it is a great car for the money. The interior is A+ and the styling is subtle but great.
I couldn't agree more...the whole performance cross segment comparisons seem so pointless...

Who cares if a Civic Si was/is a 1/10 of mph quicker/slower than the TSX??? I doubt anyone here would give up the TSX for a Civic. The fact is if you take any particular aspect of the TSX you could find another car that does it better. The TSX is about the complete package for consumers looking to spend around $30,000 for a car.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:26 PM
who's right, who's wrong?

Hell no people won't give up their TSX for a Civic, I'm hoping to go the opposite direction sometime!!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:32 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

If all I wanted to do was go fast in a straight line I would have bought a Mustang.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:07 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fdl
Yes...hp will show you who will be faster in the 1/4 mile ect...but IMO torque to weight will show you you more realistic performance...on other words...having that torque on tap for day to day driving, or for rolling starts. I think the TSX will definately have the advantage over the SI here.
I rather tend to agree, but I don't think low-end torque (which everyone defines differently -- my definition is in the 1200-2000 RPM range) is the TSX's strong suit, either. However, it certainly will do much better than the SI in this respect though due both to its larger displacement and long stroke design.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:08 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by fdl
... so hp = 1/4 mile times and tq = day to day driving?

maybe you should do some research before making bold statements such as that.

Originally posted by onenonlieTSX Its built on the same platform as the v6 accord so the handling characteristics should be similar. I've driven my friends Accord v6 and after a couple twisties, I was begging to get back into my TSX. The understeer is TERRIBLE... especially if you give it a little gas through the turn. It feels as if the car just wants to go straight. I'm sure its quite the same with a CL-S.
CLS has an HLSD which negates most of the understeer. Different cars. Sorry bub.

Originally posted by onenonlieTSX And it CANNOT easily beat a 15.6. A 99-00 Civic si (b16a2) runs a 15.7 stock. So the TSX still RAPES an Si...
Last time I check .1 seconds wasn't a raping.

Originally posted by domn Taking a turn slowly does'nt alllow the car to bite down and grip like it can.
Please explain, that doesn't seem to make sense. At low speeds the car should roll even less. Only when pushed would it experience body roll.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:17 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by jaydub
Personally I think you might be setting your expectations too high. It's gonna be relatively quick, but it isn't going to be a straight line speed demon, nor was it intended to be. IMO, anyone who buys a Honda and expects it to be fast right out of the box is sorely mistaken. I sure didn't buy my Si because it was fast.
I agree with you. I set my expectations really high because everyone spoke so highly of the car on the board. I expected an RSX with 4 doors and got a 4 banger Accord.

The point I'm trying to make is what everyone else has been pushing so hard. The "all around package" that people are talking about isn't there. To be an all around package it has to have at least some punch to it. Objectively speaking it didn't seem all that fun to drive. I've driven a 330CI before now THAT was fun. Even the old Civic SI was a fun to drive car. The Integra GSR 4 Door was the same way. But this TSX just in my objective opinion isn't that fun. That could be due to the fact that it's so greta on the tq curve and it "feels" slower than it really is.

Also, my driving experience I thought of which was used in comparison to the TSX are the IS300 and the 325i. The IS300 and 325i are really grippy and "feel" as if they pack quite a punch while also handling very well. Now that could be due to the RWD and the TQ. I just wish Acura would have given the TSX more umph. The car truly would be an "all around package" if it had maybe 30 more hp and 30 more ftlbs of tq stock. It would clean out any other car even near it's class. The build quality is impeccable and can be compared easily to Lexus and BMW.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:19 PM

"Where's the power at?" That was the first thing that popped into my mind as I turned VSA off and let her rip. It's a slug. I've driven faster stock civics than that which are rated at much lower HP/TQ. Where's all that 200 hp going to the air conditioning?...
yup the stock civic is so much faster....
SI - 15.7secs 1/4
TSX - 15.6secs 1/4

It could be just b/c I'm coming from a lowered car with sways that I feel the ride was floaty
is your CL-S lowered?

Quick Reply: Test drove a TSX today