Test drove an Audi A3 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mcgriddle, give it a couple of years before your assess them as the same. My wife's 2004 Audi cabriolet's problems started to pop out after 2 years of ownership. Just cross your fingers that you don't experience what we had..Peace
Old 09-06-2006, 02:57 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by absolude
Yeah, and after all the hype is gone DSG is just another unrewarding so called improved auto transmission. It doesn't give better fuel economy, it shifts slower than a manual and it breaks.

Good thing VW is giving us innovation. Last one is going out the diesel market for not being able to produce a clean burning engine.
Well by looking at your statements you have absolutley no idea what your talking about. Including your assumptions on VW diesel, DSG fuel consumption stats etc.

Go to this link and it will help show how DSG is faster than shifting Manual. This is actually a very good video using a professional driver.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/...-speed-manual/
Old 09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I was VERY close to getting the A3 2.0t 6spd before I decided on the TSX. I personally really like the style of it and it was quick, not fast, which is all I wanted. But even on Edmunds.com (which is where I did all my research for pricing, reliability etc...) there were quite a few people disappointed in their Audi/VW. I sure as hell wasn't going to risk ~$30k on a car that was going to crap out on me.
If Audi can fix these problems then they'll have my interest again.

The link that absolude referenced actually had specific problems with VWs as websites.

The link that cp3117 referenced mostly shows links to Acura "Problems & Fixes" forums.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cp3117
Well by looking at your statements you have absolutley no idea what your talking about. Including your assumptions on VW diesel, DSG fuel consumption stats etc.

Go to this link and it will help show how DSG is faster than shifting Manual. This is actually a very good video using a professional driver.

Thank you, but I will not spend any time learning about a carmaker that finishes among last in long term reliability. It is usually the one before last just ahead of Land Rover.
Dsg in not fun to drive.
And here is what I meant about VW diesel not being able to sell in the US:

MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

Volkswagen of America will lose hot-selling diesel models of several of its most popular cars as the automaker catches up to new federal emissions standards that take effect this fall.

VW will drop the diesel versions of its Jetta, Golf and Beetle models for the 2007 model year, which begins this fall. The new U.S. limits for nitrogen oxide emissions are among the most stringent in the world.

"They are becoming a significant part of our business, so it's disappointing," Keyes said. "If diesels continue to contribute 20%-22% of our sales, this has some significant impact on us."

VW has credited its surging U.S. sales to diesels and the addition of new models like the Passat midsize sedan and Jetta compact sedan.

VW will offer a diesel version of its Touareg SUV in '07, and the company plans to build extra '06 diesel Jettas, which it hopes to sell well into next year.

A new diesel Jetta that meets emissions standards in all 50 states should be available for the 2008 model year.

In other words VW knew about the new regulations but even with all the mighty German engineering could not produce a clean enough engine.

I still can't understand how VW got the reputation it has in N America. Must be just because in comes from where BMW and Mercedes are.
In Germany VW in just another word for bad work. And this is not a joke.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Europeans believe in diesel engines for good gas milage, not hybrids. I think they may be on to something. And DSG is the kind of thing that auto manufacturers have wanted to do for a while -- the performance of manual, but the ease of auto. Just think -- a "manumatic" mode that would make some sense! So, in theory, I'd kind of like the VW way of doing things.

But I, too, can't seem to get past the reliability thing.... as someone posted recently, sure, you can have things wrong with a Honda/Acura, but rarely things that leave you stranded. It amazes me how many people complain about squeeks or other things that are, in the big picture, pretty small. I'll take the car that has a risk of having a squeek.

I also like the Honda way of doing things... Efficient 4 cyl engines, great handling feel, and a well-rounded car.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Racer

Hey, the RSX or Integra type R defeated the DSG golf in that video..so much for the DSG..
Old 09-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by absolude
Here is what I meant about VW diesel not being able to sell in the US:

MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

Volkswagen of America will lose hot-selling diesel models of several of its most popular cars as the automaker catches up to new federal emissions standards that take effect this fall.

VW will drop the diesel versions of its Jetta, Golf and Beetle models for the 2007 model year, which begins this fall. The new U.S. limits for nitrogen oxide emissions are among the most stringent in the world.

"They are becoming a significant part of our business, so it's disappointing," Keyes said. "If diesels continue to contribute 20%-22% of our sales, this has some significant impact on us."

VW has credited its surging U.S. sales to diesels and the addition of new models like the Passat midsize sedan and Jetta compact sedan.

VW will offer a diesel version of its Touareg SUV in '07, and the company plans to build extra '06 diesel Jettas, which it hopes to sell well into next year.

A new diesel Jetta that meets emissions standards in all 50 states should be available for the 2008 model year.

In other words VW knew about the new regulations but even with all the mighty German engineering could not produce a clean enough engine.

I still can't understand how VW got the reputation it has in N America. Must be just because in comes from where BMW and Mercedes are.
In Germany VW in just another word for bad work. And this is not a joke.
Well in Europe VW is the number one selling manufactuer....so I guess they cant be that bad....

VW is one of only a very few car companies in NA that mass produces a diesel. Its a older, poorer emissions diesel because its the only thing that will run on NA poor diesel quality.

Like Vidgamer stated, Diesel is huge in Europe. VW/Audi is a known leader in this area producing 4cyl - 10cyl diesels. Audi is currently dominating the Lemans racing series with their R10 TDI over gas engines....But Toyota and Honda also have great diesel engines in Europe. No one can bring these cars over here though untill NA changes to the same cleaner diesel that Europe has right now and also all manufactuers have to meet the very tough california emissions. This is why you probably wont see any till 2008. Although VW will have their V10 diesel over here in the toureg next year...so once again they will probably be one of the first manufactures here in NA with a new diesel that will run on the clean fuel.

Once more diesel engines start coming over from Europe you probably will see a lot of people switch, including myself. This is what I have my Eyes on as its probably one of the best out there now for performance and economy..

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineoftheyear/winners/25_3.html

I will have to apologize to the OP for getting so off topic. I guess this forum is now dying a slow death.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 AM
Instructor

I love Audis, but I drive a TSX. I love the TSX, but not as much as the Audis. Why did I buy a TSX and not and Audi then? My money don't like the repair of an Audi. Why? Been there, done that. Not until I have enough money to spend quick and often, as much as I like the Audis, I will not get them. Fair comment I would say.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cp3117

What do tou mean I don't know what I'm talkin. I have made two statements:

1. That the DSG is not fun to drive compared to manual. I can also guarantee you that I can shift faster than the DSG. Maybe the driver in the video couldn't shift faster because we all know how bad VW manual shifter is.

2. VW took itself out the diesel market because could not produce an engine clean enough.

Wich one is not true?

Do you believe that VW are reliable cars?
Old 09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I own a 2006 VW GLI with 2.0 turbo and DSG (same drive train as GTI) AND a 2006 TSX with auto (wife's car) AND a 2006 GLI with manual (my son's car) so I guess I'm qualified to discuss DSG and VW reliability, and compare to the TSX.

1. Total miles for both GLI's 18,000. Zero problems.
2. DSG shifts faster than manual, better acceleration and gas mileage, as shown by many tests.

3. My son has his GLI chipped and will be dynoed tomorrow. Mine's getting chipped tomorrow. Costs about $500 for another 25-30 hp and 40-50 torque at the WHEELS.

4. TSX has better ride.

5. TSX is so much slower than stock GLI it's sad.

6. GLI handles better, but with better rubber on the TSX it would be close.

7. Put Goodyear GSD-3's on both GLI's. Amazing improvement in performance with better ride and much less noise than stock Bridgstone re050. Highly recommended.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Racer

Warrusty, wait till both of your cars reach double the mileage they have right now and post which had less problems. I just hope your VW GLI does not give you headaches then..peace
Old 09-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Instructor

No More Mercedes,BMW,Audi for me.

VW/Audi do innovate. Choice of Engines, Diesel Engines, Chain Driven CVT, DSG, Quattro (for it's time), 5 Valves, Bi-Turbos, Direct Injection, Traction Control were all areas where they were/are leaders.

Even the new bug and TT were different at least.

The audi slogan "never follow" is kind of true.

But the quality problems never seem to go away. They've had years to fix but gimmicks seem more important than quality/process. A vehicle is a major investment and you are placing your *life* in the hands of the makers.

Depends if you want a car or an experiment. I say let audi use someone elses money to 'test' out the bleeding edge stuff.

If I were to give a Non-Japanese car another try I'd buy American with a high crash test rating like a the ford fusion. The Europeans haven't earned my business.

Now as a conspiracy theorist I think the 'tough' diesel rules are driven by lobbying by the US makers and Big Oil. Bushco cares about some minor particulates/NO2 while out economy teeters on the edge of dipback into recession ? NO !
But they do care about keeping America thirsty for light sweet crude/gasoline and the Big 2.5 don't have diesel cars to sell yet anyways.