Teeny Tiny Ding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teeny Tiny Ding?

Hey...I have a 2007 carbon gray TSX that I've worked to keep in mint condition.

Anyway, today I noticed that from an angle where the driver's side hood meshes with the side of the car where the line is there appears to be a teeny tiny ding.

The only way to see it is from an angle as straight on you will see nothing and when you run your hands over it you can't feel a thing.

However, I swear it's there as I looked at another TSX in the parking lot and didn't see a thing.

Also, it looks like a needle but there is no evidence that a sharp rock hit it whatsoever.

If it didn't pierce the paint can they actually remove something like this fairly simply?

It really just looks like a tiny indentation with no paint missing and you'll be hard pressed to see it at that.

If anyone else knows what kind of ding I'm talking about or a fix please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Advanced

you know i think i may have the same ding or atleast close, i have the tiniest ding on the side of the car, next to the hood, on my driver side, and can't be seen straight foraward or felt, but can be seen only at angles, it is where that body line of the tsx is, the part that the fender kind of has a line that goes across the side of the car, to the trunk area, if that is confusing i'm sorry about that, i'm not sure what to call it. its not molding since tsx doesn't have that but that line next to your door handles, but my dent is in the front portion of the car where the hood is.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Sounds like exactly the same thing. I did a search on here and it appears that the TSX dings easily as well as the poor paint.

It's no wonder they give us so many options.

Oh well.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
hey man, its impossible to keep it in mint condition. i stress out over newly discovered swirls so you know where im coming from. i just learn to live with it because you will never see a perfect car. except show cars where they tow it in a box. but dont stress too much over it because your car still looks better than any car you park next to any ways, judging by your mentality of keeping it mint
Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced

true, but that dent is annoying when i open the driver side door, just the way the paint is bent, and reflected, its not a big enough dent to repair, maybe another dent needs to be there for me to repair. but i won't make that dent. i'm pretty anal, about the way my car is kept, i keep my mom's mercedez out in the drive way so my car can go into the garage, wash nearly once a week, and i open all door for passengers so i don't get those fingernail marks. the worse thing i hate though is my passengers feet hitting the plastic cover that covers some of the carpet, where the door closes on. i don't know why but when i go back there to clean, i just can see some of the smudges making actual scratches. makes me wish the tsx was a coupe.(meaning i wouldn't let anyone drive in the back seats)
Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

i know exactly what you mean, some people are so careless with other peoples cars. but than again my pearl mocha coloured car has been egged, keyed and dented lol some one scratched a j (my first intial) into a panel aswell, you try your best to have pride in something and people see that and get jealous
Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Hmm....

Have you ever thought that they might be sections where the chassis/body has been fastened??

I have to spot like that on my truck I think right around the middle.
It's hard to explain. You can't feel it, but if you look at it just right, the light the reflects off it 'bends' around that area. It sort of looks like a dent, but I want to say it's where sections are fastened. There is also something similar on our baby grand piano....on the side. It looks like there is a little point where it dips in just a little bit and makes the light warp/bend when you look at it right. I know it's not a dent.

I don't know. Just a thought.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Advanced

i'm not sure if its that, since i don't have it on the passenger side, and the only difference i can think of on each side is probably the vents for the intake/resonator on the wheel well but that wouldn't effect the fender i think.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
No matter how trivial or insignificant such defects may be to others here, if it bugs you, it bugs you. I can grok that. I have a few chips and scratches on the front bumper, they're unavoidable over the years in a daily driver car (DDC). I got the $10 bottle of Honda paint in my car's color for a little nick on the right passenger door which would've been 1000s of $ to fix properly, and have used it on the front in a few places. I also wax my front bumper more often to keep the weather-resistance equivalent to the rest of the car.

So my car isn't perfect, but you can't see places where paint is missing. You'd have to get up close to see the little dimples where I've applied paint.

You can do things like smoothing the paint, filling in, etc. but if the paint isn't damaged (e.g. chipped off, metal exposed, etc.), I'd be hesitant to doink around with it. It ain't (technically) broke, don't fix it. YMMV.

BTW, this topic may be more appropriate to the Wash 'n Wax forum, where these issues are discussed frequently.

Jazz886 ... you need to run with a different crowd, maybe. Scratching someone's name in their $28,000 car is 100% uncool in anyone's book. Not to mention dangerous.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:49 PM

No matter how trivial or insignificant such defects may be to others here, if it bugs you, it bugs you. I can grok that. I have a few chips and scratches on the front bumper, they're unavoidable over the years in a daily driver car (DDC). I got the $10 bottle of Honda paint in my car's color for a little nick on the right passenger door which would've been 1000s of $ to fix properly, and have used it on the front in a few places. I also wax my front bumper more often to keep the weather-resistance equivalent to the rest of the car.

So my car isn't perfect, but you can't see places where paint is missing. You'd have to get up close to see the little dimples where I've applied paint.

You can do things like smoothing the paint, filling in, etc. but if the paint isn't damaged (e.g. chipped off, metal exposed, etc.), I'd be hesitant to doink around with it. It ain't (technically) broke, don't fix it. YMMV.

BTW, this topic may be more appropriate to the Wash 'n Wax forum, where these issues are discussed frequently.

Jazz886 ... you need to run with a different crowd, maybe. Scratching someone's name in their $28,000 car is 100% uncool in anyone's book. Not to mention dangerous.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Intermediate

lol i thought it was a misguided attempt at affection, some one must really feel strongly about me.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Advanced

Well I bought my car after I got a $2,000 trade in on my 2002 Ford Focus. Granted, it had 135K miles on it but I guarantee an import with that many miles would have gotten $5K.

Anyway, I want a car that is worth a good amount when I pay it off. I strive to keep only 16,000 miles per year on it.

Also, when it rains it pours. I found a teeny tiny dent on the trunk. It looks like the point of a football hit it. I think the paintless dent repair will work.

By the way, I hate those people who say I told you so like they are perfect. For the record, I am ridiculed for parking no where near anyone. I won't even drive to a Red Sox game for fear of getting dinged. When I go to the grocery store, target, or anywhere else...I park eons away from anyone. Same goes true for my apartment complex.

But, if kids want to play football and I'm not monitoring...what are you really going to do?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
You know the saying "It'll buff right out," that people use when a car's been damaged ridiculously bad? Well a lot of things will buff right out. Small scratches, if they're not down to the primer, can be polished out.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by eggbert52
... I am ridiculed for parking no where near anyone. I won't even drive to a Red Sox game for fear of getting dinged. When I go to the grocery store, target, or anywhere else...I park eons away from anyone. Same goes true for my apartment complex.

But, if kids want to play football and I'm not monitoring...what are you really going to do?
You're in good company here. A LOT of Acuraziners do this ... search around, you'll find the thread specifically about it.

I agree, you can't protect against everything (unless you garage your car, which I do -- I shopped for a condo specifically with a garage), but you have to presume that it may happen someday. Those who are in a "high risk of kiddie damage" zone, well that's who $100 deductible policies are for. Doesnt make it any less infuriating when you find these surprise, anonymous dents on your lovingly maintained car, though.