Take UK Accord (TSX) dashboard apart for iPod connection

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Take UK Accord (TSX) dashboard apart for iPod connection

Hi all, i've got a 2004 UK Accord (that's a TSX to most of you :-) ) and i'm trying to find out how the dash comes apart so that I can fit an iPod connection (actually, i've only got the PIE splitter cable to allow the nav to still work, so any advice on which adapter's best is appreciated!). Trouble is that the area below the sat nav/radio area on my car is different to that in the TSX. Instead of a storage area with a lid, the area is taken up by a smaller pocket and a flip-down door that hides the sat nav system... and I haven't got a clue how to take the cover off, or the sat nav system out... I found this pic (think it's a US Accord), which looks identical to my car (other than the wheel on the left, and my car is a manual): http://images.forbes.com/images/2005...sh_420x280.jpg

Any ideas on how I get the bugger off? And then get the sat bugger nav out?

Big thanx in advance!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Banned

why can you not take and post a real pic instead of a stock pic ?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

Because my car looks identical bar the wheel on the left and the AT. What would taking a 'real' pic achieve?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

because they might appear to look the same but that does NOT mean they really are, does it ?
USDM Navi unit is in the trunk, did you know that ?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Instructor

You have the JDM CL9 not the TSX - plenty of threads about this on ozhonda.com - do a search in the accord forum for snhond3

Don't touch the sat nav ! You don't need to
Old 04-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah... but that layout IS the same as my car... it clearly has swapped the storage bin on the US TSX for a smaller hole and above that a flap that hides the sat nav. Yeah, I did realise the TSX has the nav in the boot - that's why it can have the big storage bin... We only get that on non-nav Accords over here...
Old 04-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ScreamerUK
Yeah... but that layout IS the same as my car... it clearly has swapped the storage bin on the US TSX for a smaller hole and above that a flap that hides the sat nav. Yeah, I did realise the TSX has the nav in the boot - that's why it can have the big storage bin... We only get that on non-nav Accords over here...
If you have the UK Accord it is the same as the Accord Euro in Australia. Like I said - go to ozhonda.com and the answer is there waiting for you.

The dash on the TSX is different
Old 04-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Cruisin'

Woah... what's a JDM CL9? To be honest, i'm not familiar with USDM or JDM... what do they mean? I can assure you that my car looks identical to a TSX on the outside, but more like a USA Accord on the inside... Saw a review of the USA Accord EX V6 - that had an identical interior, but obviously looks completely different outside.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

hehe... we're answering each others posts with a slight delay :-) Yeah - the UK Accord dash is the different part... looking at that site right now... thanks for the help so far... yfin especially... ;-)
Old 04-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Woah... what's a JDM CL9? To be honest, i'm not familiar with USDM or JDM... what do they mean? I can assure you that my car looks identical to a TSX on the outside, but more like a USA Accord on the inside... Saw a review of the USA Accord EX V6 - that had an identical interior, but obviously looks completely different outside.
I know what you are saying as I have the same car as you - but it isn't the same as the Acura TSX. Similar yes, but not the same. JDM is a car from the japanese domestic market - that is what you have.

The TSX was designed solely for the North American market so there are differences including the dash.

look at post 32 link

that should help - there are other posts too - let me know if you get stuck
Old 04-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Instructor

also see post 34 on that link - not the same car but similar bin area
Old 04-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks man... really really appreciated. Thanks for the offer of extra help too - might well need it :-) And i'm sticking to my guns that we've got the same car... There's a forum full of people here saying it's ace, so i've decided that's exactly what i've got :-) hehe. Think it's true to say that they're dynamically near-identical, its just that the TSX dash looks TL-inspired, whereas the UK Accord gets the Japan/US Accord interior. Shame, cause I think I prefer the TSX/TL style of rounded edges and blue/silver colours (erm, or should that be colors? :-) )... Wish we had the TL too... Such a smart looking car... Might get it soon - the RL just landed here as the Honda Legend... Never know!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

ah - there ya go the Accord EX V6 I talked about earlier :-) havin a look now
Old 04-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Cruisin'

same prob unfortunately - the EX V6 in post 34 has the same bin thingy as the TSX - I know that my sat nav's sitting where that bin is, and i'm not sure whether the same dissassembly process applies..?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:45 PM
6MT or Death

same prob unfortunately - the EX V6 in post 34 has the same bin thingy as the TSX - I know that my sat nav's sitting where that bin is, and i'm not sure whether the same dissassembly process applies..?
did you search ozhonda and find nothing that helped?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Instructor

so your dash looks similar to this (not the same as this is 06 model) -

Old 04-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Cruisin'

Not really... Although there was a link just before post 34 that yfin directed me to (post 33 i think) that was a Honda pdf doc for fitting a tape/multimedia/etc player, which although starting with the usual bin, ended in the configuration that I have (small bin with sat nav reader on top), so it's possible that if I were to remove the gearchange trim, then the cigarette/small bin area, then the fascia (which hopefully comes out just like the big bin), I still might have 'normal' access to the aux port on the stereo, just with a satnav reader in the way (which might just pull out pretty easy - especially if I reverse-engineer the pdf document)...

Might have a look tomorrow morning (it's 8:55pm here and gone pitch-black dark - doh!)

Thanks so far dj Dozhe!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

yep yfin - that's it... yeah, thats the new one with the trip 'puter and new wheel (and lane assist, apative cruise, voice nav, etc.. grr... :-) ) The area under the sat nav screen is identical except for the colours :-)
Old 04-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Cruisin'

that horizontal thin black line you see just below the cimate control buttons is a finger-hold which opens the flap downwards to reveal the sat nav reader....
Old 04-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Instructor

yep yfin - that's it... yeah, thats the new one with the trip 'puter and new wheel (and lane assist, apative cruise, voice nav, etc.. grr... :-) ) The area under the sat nav screen is identical except for the colours :-)
just follow the same instructions to remove the bin - there could be one or 2 more screws or it might be a little different but still not hard to remove.

Once you have removed the bin take a look for the same inputs as you see on the Ozhonda thread. You shouldn't need to remove the sat nav - the inputs will just be sitting there above the bin.

This thread might help if you can't get nav to work.

link

As for units to buy - i would go snhond3 - sounds like you have the right harness for the navi already.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Instructor

that horizontal thin black line you see just below the cimate control buttons is a finger-hold which opens the flap downwards to reveal the sat nav reader....
ahh - yes I know what you are talking about. There is DVD rom drive sitting there.

I would still try to remove the bin - you may be able to do so without touching the DVD rom drive. There could be one or 2 more screws or it might be a little different but still not hard to remove.

Once you have removed the bin take a look for the same inputs as you see on the Ozhonda thread. This thread might help re the nav harness connections

link

As for units to buy - i would go snhond3 - sounds like you have the right harness for the navi already.

ONe last option is to post in one of those Ozhonda threads asking people if they have installed the snhond3 on the 06 Euro with Navi (only became an option this year).
Old 04-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

Big thanks for this yfin. Think you're probably right on the way to go about things... Does the snhond3 plug into the ipod's dock connector? How does it compare to the PIE/HON and the Dension I20? Thanks for the help again!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Big thanks for this yfin. Think you're probably right on the way to go about things... Does the snhond3 plug into the ipod's dock connector? How does it compare to the PIE/HON and the Dension I20? Thanks for the help again!
SNHOND is an audio input only - so it connects to the 3.5mm audio jack on the IPOD. If you want something that can charge the ipod/connects to the dock or if you want steering wheel functionality go with a different unit.

I found a thread re 06 Euro with Sat Nav and Ipod - link

If you become an ozhonda member - you can PM these guys and they can help you with removing that bin. good luck
Old 04-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks again yfin!