Switchblade hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switchblade hybrid

So some of you might know that i bought a fake switchblade key from ebay......
http://cgi.ebay.ca/04-05-06-07-ACURA...item3f0065747f
....... and it was pretty decent but i guess i really wanted the memory function........so i took the "fake" key apart and then realized that its totally a replica of the real oem key as i looked for DIY on ppl's switchblades.

That gave me the idea of buying a cheap already cut TL switchblade and just interchange the key part.

I have already completed the switch and will attempt to program the buttons........ill post pics later on. Just another option for some ppl for a lil cheaper oem keys hehe
Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Instructor

SUCCESS........programming went well

If you compare to the https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/diy-guide-tl-switchblade-key-60-photos-671520/ you will see that everything is identical, just switch the key part and reprogram the buttons.

Last edited by extracrunchie; 06-12-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the exact same switchblade from eBay and I too was pretty pleased with how OEM-like the key actually is; I was really afraid the key was going to arrive and it was going to be painfully obvious that it's a cheap knock-off...

Anyway, it's great to know that it's this easy in case I damage my current switchblade or need a new one for whatever reason.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Looks like you bought a "Memory 2" key.

How come you didn't buy a "Memory 1" key?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Hey extracrunchie, if you remember your input on the lack of memory function was why I went with the milled OEM TL key from Marcus instead of the EBay unit.

Nice work on your mod and great write-up on the steps involved...
Old 06-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by princelybug
Looks like you bought a "Memory 2" key.

How come you didn't buy a "Memory 1" key?
Well to answer that question, its cause it was the only one there lol, i bought it used from a member on acurazine and the key that he was selling is already cut for a TL...............but for my case, i didnt care cause i wanted to switch out the key anyways..........so i picked up the OEM for pretty cheap eheh
Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Santa Rosa Steve
Hey extracrunchie, if you remember your input on the lack of memory function was why I went with the milled OEM TL key from Marcus instead of the EBay unit.

Nice work on your mod and great write-up on the steps involved...
hahah ya i finally caved in and wanted a acura logo on the back, actually i wouldnt have done this if i didnt see that the OEM key was so cheap. Thats when i started to research and took apart the ebay key.

The OEM key screws is so hard to take out, they were loctited, such a pain in the ass.

as for the cost of the whole process.........ebay key $60 (i bought it when it was cheaper way back), cut OEM key $35, and programming the transponder is dependent on your dealership, so all in all it was less than $150....
Old 06-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thbhouse
I bought the exact same switchblade from eBay and I too was pretty pleased with how OEM-like the key actually is; I was really afraid the key was going to arrive and it was going to be painfully obvious that it's a cheap knock-off...

Anyway, it's great to know that it's this easy in case I damage my current switchblade or need a new one for whatever reason.
If you ever see a cheap OEM key, just buy it and you can do the switch, since the transponder is already programmed, just interchange and reprogram the buttons like i did, now im even more pleased
Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Originally Posted by extracrunchie
as for the cost of the whole process.........ebay key $60 (i bought it when it was cheaper way back), cut OEM key $35, and programming the transponder is dependent on your dealership, so all in all it was less than $150....
I paid $164 for the milled & chipped TL HeelToe switchblade with a free cutting from Prestige Acura... all I had to do was the re-programming of my existing fobs along with the new switchblade. So other than the time invested on the mod I'd say you did very well.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Santa Rosa Steve
I paid $164 for the milled & chipped TL HeelToe switchblade with a free cutting from Prestige Acura... all I had to do was the re-programming of my existing fobs along with the new switchblade. So other than the time invested on the mod I'd say you did very well.
Oh for sure, im kinda anal with minor detail, now i want memory 1 hahaha
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 AM
3rd Gear

switch blade

hi everyone,ok so i also have thought about getting the uncut fob from ebay,but before i did i asked the acura dealership how much would they charge to cut and program the key (is that all that needs to be done?) and they told me it was impossible,but ive seen threads like this where its doable,and the fob on ebay matches my fcc number,so how do i get the dealership to try it? I also called pop a lock (the locksmith referred me to them) and they said that they could try but they wouldn't be certain if it worked and regardless if it did or not i would have to pay them around $300
help would be appreciated,thank you
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by AndreThree PtRain Carter
hi everyone,ok so i also have thought about getting the uncut fob from ebay,but before i did i asked the acura dealership how much would they charge to cut and program the key (is that all that needs to be done?) and they told me it was impossible,but ive seen threads like this where its doable,and the fob on ebay matches my fcc number,so how do i get the dealership to try it? I also called pop a lock (the locksmith referred me to them) and they said that they could try but they wouldn't be certain if it worked and regardless if it did or not i would have to pay them around $300
help would be appreciated,thank you
Why not just get it all done from HeelToe for less than $200? The fob is OEM and done really well.