sway bar problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sway bar problem

I have a comptech sway bar that havent been installed.
I heard that people are having problems with their sway bar due to the bushing.

What kind of problem?

Do I just replace the bushing? What brand?

By installing the sway bar will I be facing any weird noised like people mentioned when turning?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 02:06 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a comptech sway bar. I actually just replaced the bushings earlier today. The comptech bushing is rubber, and will eventually deteriorate. Mine looked like it had a crack or two in it, and I noticed it was bent out of shape a little (hard to explain without a picture). Let's just say it took a beating.

The problem is that eventually your sway bars will squeak when you drive over speed bumps or anything which will cause your sway bars to work/flex. Eventually, slightly rough roads will be the only thing needed to make your sway bars squeak like mad. Everyone replaces their bushings with energy suspension's polyurethane bushings eventually.

I replaced it with the energy suspension polyurethane bushings. The only problem I had was that the bushings didn't want to seal completely....even now, the opening of the bushing is a few millimeters open. Did anyone else have that problem? The diameter of the hole on the old and new matched...but the old one had less mass between the inner diameter and the top (which touches the car).

Anyway, I took a small test drive, and my car didn't make any noises.....in fact, I think I heard noises from my tire which might sound like they're slightly flat lol.

And to answer your question...no, your sway bar should be silent. Your sway bar will only make noise if the bushings need to be greased, or has deteriorated a little like mine had.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ + 1
Old 10-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm...sounds like I need to change out my bushings too.

I would usually just spray the bushing with silicone lubricant, but that would only work for a day or two to get rid of the squeaking
Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Is this problem only with Comptech? I have a progress sway bar I haven't installed yet in my garage. Do I need to upgrade the bushings before I install my progress RSB? I plan on keeping this car way past the 100,000 mile mark.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Is this problem only with Comptech? I have a progress sway bar I haven't installed yet in my garage. Do I need to upgrade the bushings before I install my progress RSB? I plan on keeping this car way past the 100,000 mile mark.
I believe the Progress bar already comes with poly bushings. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:12 PM
STi'd

^It comes with poly bushings

I also went with the Comptech sway with Energy Suspension poly bushings. Had them for 2 years now with no squeaking and no re-lube.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the CT sway bar and Zerk fitted Energy Suspension bushings. I grease them once a quarter and no problems. Only issue we've seen is 2 ppl had their sway bar mounting points sheer from the car. I suggest you grease the bushings liberally when putting them on. This is one time when less is in fact less.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Instructor

so if I have comptech sway bar with poly bushing and lube the first time when I install. It should last about 50000miles no problem right? without making any noises.

BTW how long can a sway bar last will they last really really long like a stock one does too?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMPLUS
so if I have comptech sway bar with poly bushing and lube the first time when I install. It should last about 50000miles no problem right? without making any noises.

BTW how long can a sway bar last will they last really really long like a stock one does too?
Technically, the bushing isn't the greaseable kind. There's another kind that has grooves to allow you to grease it. They still supply grease with the bushings, so might as well use it. I don't know how long it'd last without squeaks...it depends on certain factors such as the environment. My comptech with rubber bushings and no grease made no squeaks at all until I had to drive through a "river"where my bushings were probably submerged momentarily. After that, I started having squeak problems.

The sway bar should last longer than the stock bar. The stock bar is, after all, hollow whereas aftermarket ones are solid.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moda_way
I have the CT sway bar and Zerk fitted Energy Suspension bushings. I grease them once a quarter and no problems. Only issue we've seen is 2 ppl had their sway bar mounting points sheer from the car. I suggest you grease the bushings liberally when putting them on. This is one time when less is in fact less.
If he doesn't want them to squeak for the long term, search for Moda_way's Energy Suspension zerk fitting thread. The problem is that the washers don't fit. As warned, it was kind of a b**ch to get them modified. However, relubing now takes 2 minutes under the car, twice a year. It's a lot easier than removing them every year or two and re-lubing. The bushings have grooves on the inner diameters to hold the grease.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Does anyone have a web site for the Zerk fitted Energy Suspension bushings for a Progress RSB?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have the CT RSB with the comptech bushings and i have now had it on 2 different cars and i lubed them during the intial installation and again a few months later and have had no problems with them thus far. I think if you keep them lubricated well no matter what type, you shouldn't have a problem. I can also take them on and off to relube in a matter of minutes, so its not a big deal.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

^^ I tend to agree with Jordan. Lubing the bushings doesn't take that long. Also, I wrapped teflon tape around the RSB where the bushings make contact and I think this helps reduce friction and noise.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:41 AM
Instructor

Were you happy with the bar before the noise started?