SUV's and the TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUV's and the TSX

I have never been a fan of SUV's, but since I got the TSX, I have come to despise them. Too often, I have one of those huge SUV's (those much larger than an MDX) riding my bumper and staying beside me, for no apparent reason, on four lane roads -- even when I vary my speed up and down. I presume that they are just checking out the interior of the car, but it is still annoying (it sort of feels like having a "flying saucer" overhead; please state your intentions -- and if you have no good intentions, please get lost). And, some of the SUV drivers seem to have forgotten the rule, "one vehicle, one lane" -- especially on narrow roads. That is when I anticipate, with glee, the first sharp curve -- and can safely say "Good-by."

In one case, I left an SUV about two miles behind on the curves. When I hit a long straight, I set my speed at 5 MPH over the speed limit. He caught up with me in about three minutes, pulled up beside me, and then slowed down to match my speed. He had a Georgia (out-of-state) tag, so I took a straight exit that is almost bound to get a stranger lost, hoping that he would follow me (and he did), did a quick turnaround, and was back on the four lane in about two minutes. Never saw him again. By "straight exit", I refer to an exit ramp where you go around a curve to continue on the road -- or continue straight to exit.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
SUVs are the bain of many a drivers existence.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
If you can't beat em, join em. Which I plan to do.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:21 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
argh, don't get me started about the land boats. i got rear ended by one, bastages.

you're right about those bad drivers who can't seem to maintain correct lanes driving their land boats. for example, when on narrow NYC bridges, they feel it's their right to take up two lanes. when i flash them, they have the nerve to brake check me, assholes...

/rant off
Old 11-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by domn
If you can't beat em, join em. Which I plan to do.
Those baby SUVs aren't bad, but the big hulking Excursion-size SUVs are just horrible. And it's worse when the driver is some lady talking on the cell phone, doing her make-up, and trying to sip a coffee, all at the same time.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Advanced

Well let's don't forget about the big ass pickup trucks. One time I saw this huge (one of the GM model) 6 wheels black one looks like it runs on diesel, the frame is wide enough and yet, the mirrors are extended about a foot and half out on each side!!!. Besides the fact it looked hideous, is that even legal?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disway
Well let's don't forget about the big ass pickup trucks. One time I saw this huge (one of the GM model) 6 wheels black one looks like it runs on diesel, the frame is wide enough and yet, the mirrors are extended about a foot and half out on each side!!!. Besides the fact it looked hideous, is that even legal?
The mirrors?
Lots of them have extended mirrors cause they tow trailers.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

It scares me that International, the company that specializes in semi trucks, is releasing the CXT series pickup...

Old 11-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
It scares me that International, the company that specializes in semi trucks, is releasing the CXT series pickup...

^^^

The most sensible vehicle of the year.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Baka Unco

Those baby SUVs aren't bad, but the big hulking Excursion-size SUVs are just horrible. And it's worse when the driver is some lady talking on the cell phone, doing her make-up, and trying to sip a coffee, all at the same time.
I think the driver is the REAL problem. SUV's by themselves don't do anything bad, it's the bad drivers behind the wheel. It's also usually the WRONG driver for that type of vehicle. . .
Old 11-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corbs
I think the driver is the REAL problem. SUV's by themselves don't do anything bad, it's the bad drivers behind the wheel. It's also usually the WRONG driver for that type of vehicle. . .
Agreed. I can't stand some of those SUV drivers who think they own the road and treat the SUV like a mobile house.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Banned

oh yeah, the Internationals....finally something worse then the H2's and Excursions... My Favorite Simpsons Quote:
Marge: How Many Miles to the gallon does that thing get?
Mc Bain: 1 Highway, 0 city...

Makes Sence with the gas prices we have in NY, (Costing me around 40$ to fill up the TSX) to buy something that Fuel un-efficent.... that hard to park, and that dangerous to other veichles (Ive seen an Excersion park ontop of a Kia)

Gas Prices in the 70's caused the Death of the American Muscle Car....
Gas Prices in the 00's cause the Rise of the SUV's.... I dont get it
Old 11-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm... wonder how "environmentally-friendly" that one is???
Old 11-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

It is the lack of awareness of many SUV drivers that SUVs don't brake like sports cars do that bothers me... that and the fact that in an accident with one, they're much more likely to walk away than I am.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:21 AM
esk
Advanced

Driving through PA I had a couple of SUV owners flip me off. I can't help cutting those people off. And why are they always in the left lane? SUV drivers are like their vehicles - fat, lazy and stupid.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Banned

It's also usually the WRONG driver for that type of vehicle. . .
x 10.... Weve discussed allready how some of the members in this forum's parents brought the TSX or another car in that catagory for their kids, thinking its safe...Bigger problem is the people that Feel that a SUV is the only safe choice for their kids, because if they get in an acident its most likely gonna be w/ a SUV... My dad wanted to get me the Xterra for that reason, TSX was a tough sell, even w/ me payin for half of it.... Back on topic... Out of my Highschool Class of 150, there were maybe 20 cars including the TSX, of the 130+ who drove to school... Pathfinders, Explorers, Jeeps, Hell even one kid had an Excursion... We also have all these 20 year old Single people buying Escalades and Explorers... If you go off roading, or you drag around alot of stuff...then buy something that big...if you have 2 kids, and want room, and hate the look of a minivan....then u dont need to buy a Suburbian XL or whatever
Old 11-30-2004, 11:34 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcg878

It is the lack of awareness of many SUV drivers that SUVs don't brake like sports cars do that bothers me... that and the fact that in an accident with one, they're much more likely to walk away than I am.
And............I think the New Jersey Turnpike will be littered again this winter with SUV's that skid off the road during ice and snowstorms, because the drivers think that awd makes them invincible............

There have been some studies that show that SUV's are safer in an accident, but small, nimble cars are much better at accident avoidance. But, since we don't document accidents that don't happen, the SUV's have gotten a reputation for being safe, when their very nature makes them unsafe for themselves and others in terms of handling, manoeverability, stopping distance - everything but visibility.

The only mod I would really like to do is mount a couple of repeaters on the front bumber, right about where the fog lights would be, and then be able to blow out the tires of offending SUVs who get in my way.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
Hmmm... wonder how "environmentally-friendly" that one is???
Here are the specs:

Base Model
Body Type: 8-Foot Dualie Pickup Bed
Dimensions Overall Length: 258”; Cab Height: 108”, Bed Height: 58”
Drive Train: 4x4, On-Command All-Wheel Drive
GVWR: 25,999 lbs. (Non-Commercial Drivers License applicable)
Curb Weight: 14,500 lbs.
Engine: International® DT466 I-6 diesel, 220 HP, 540 lb.ft. Torque
Transmission: Allison Automatic 2500 HS 5-speed
Transfer Case: 2-speed Hi-Lo
Brakes: Air with 4-channel ABS
Axles: Front Driving 10,000 lbs.Capacity , Rear Driving 17,000 lbs.Capacity
Fuel: Polished Aluminum 70 gallon Diesel
Cab: 5 - Passenger, 4- door Crew Cab with Rear Cab Air Suspension
Seats: Air Suspension Cloth Passenger and Driver
HVAC: Air Conditioning (Standard)
Wheels/Tires: Polished Aluminum Wheels, 11R22.5 Goodyear Tires (Dual Rears)
Other: Bright Finish Heated Mirrors, Exterior Sunshade, Keyless Entry,
Base Coat / Clear Coat Paint, Fog Lights, Air Horn, Tilting Steering Wheel,
Vertical Bright Finish Tailpipe, Polished Front and Rear Bumpers, 9000 lbs.
Hitch.
Optional Equipment
Custom Interior: Leather Multi-Position Individual Front Seats, Rear View Camera, 10.5” Drop
Down DVD Screen and Player, Deluxe Center Console, Rear Fold Down
Bench Seat, Carpeting, Back Walnut Wood Trim, Custom Alpine XM Radio /
CD Player.
Rear Bed Lift Kit: With Remote Control For Tilting Pickup Bed
Extended Cab: 26” Extended Cab with Rear Bench Seat, ILO of 4-Door Crew Cab
Power Offerings: Higher Horsepower International Diesel Engines Available

The 7300 466CI engine is somewhat an I6 equivalent to their V8 Turbodiesel version 7300 also known as "Powerstroke" also found in the Ford F and E trucks.

Not exactly non-polluting and not worst either, but with much better towing and loading capacity.

To me this truck is
Old 11-30-2004, 02:46 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I wonder if there are ever threads on SUV forums complaining about those little cars that keep weaving in and out between them and leaving them in the dust around turns. You can barely fit anything in those little things. Who would want something as impractical as a car?...
Old 11-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I wonder if there are ever threads on SUV forums complaining about those little cars that keep weaving in and out between them and leaving them in the dust around turns. You can barely fit anything in those little things. Who would want something as impractical as a car?...
Old 11-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MemRheins
oh yeah, the Internationals....finally something worse then the H2's and Excursions... My Favorite Simpsons Quote:
Marge: How Many Miles to the gallon does that thing get?
Mc Bain: 1 Highway, 0 city...

Makes Sence with the gas prices we have in NY, (Costing me around 40$ to fill up the TSX) to buy something that Fuel un-efficent.... that hard to park, and that dangerous to other veichles (Ive seen an Excersion park ontop of a Kia)

Gas Prices in the 70's caused the Death of the American Muscle Car....
Gas Prices in the 00's cause the Rise of the SUV's.... I dont get it

Adjusted for inflation gas is quite cheap compared to the late 70s/early 80s. Only above $3 gas will get people out of SUVs. It may even happen this decade.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fastg11
Adjusted for inflation gas is quite cheap compared to the late 70s/early 80s. Only above $3 gas will get people out of SUVs. It may even happen this decade.
You mean next year.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Instructor

I currently drive an SUV so I take some offense to this. I drive a Jeep GC. I think of it as a Swiss army knife, it is a great tool for a lot of things. I bought it to pull a boat, and it does see some pretty serious off-roading. On the other hand, I agree that there are lots of people buying BIG SUVs for the status symbol. And with 90% of the population terrible drivers, they are 3 ton weapons.

Here is my 2 cents: Use your turn signal and stay the hell out of the Left lane except to pass!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by jcg878

Actually my Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes better than my (now sold) TSX. A little less stable and heavier, but much bigger brakes.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:48 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwb998
I currently drive an SUV so I take some offense to this. I drive a Jeep GC. I think of it as a Swiss army knife, it is a great tool for a lot of things. I bought it to pull a boat, and it does see some pretty serious off-roading. On the other hand, I agree that there are lots of people buying BIG SUVs for the status symbol. And with 90% of the population terrible drivers, they are 3 ton weapons.

Here is my 2 cents: Use your turn signal and stay the hell out of the Left lane except to pass!
Sounds as if you're using a SUV as it was intended - to support sporting and/or work activities that can best be done by a rugged, purposeful vehicle. I learned to drive on the I-Scout, one of the first "personal"awd's, which was a lousy vehicle except that it could go through snow when nothing else would, and it could climb the roadless territory on my parent's ranch in the high mountain country of New Mexico. However, when I drove it, I was mindful that I blocked the vision of others, my vehicle handled in different ways, and I tried to respect the general courtesy of the road when I was on it. My current beef with SUV drivers is not the sports nut, but the soccer mom, cellphone in one hand, cafe latte in the other, wheeling into the shopping mall parking lot with nooooooooo clue as to how big the vehicle she is in is, how it handles, what it does to vehicles behind her. and - when faced with truly inclement weather, a lot of these drivers assume that their awd provides them with holy immunity from accidents, and drive like maniacs............. in that case, it is usually the guys, smiling glibly at the wheel, driving like idiots on snow and ice-packed roads at unreasonable speeds becasue they assume their awd will provide them with invincible road grip. I usually stay well enough back so that when they spin out, I am not collateral damage................(witnessed two this past winter, both guys driving about 10-15 miles over what reasonable driving would suggest, hitting embedded ice patches and spinning. Both stayed upright, but both hit the deep ditch.)
Old 12-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Banned

Jeeps arent that bad, Esp if there used properly, then i have absolutly no problems w/ a jeep...As i said in one of my Earlier posts, I have a problem w/ 29 year old w/ 2 little kids or maybe even none at all, driving a Suburbian XL like its a car.

Link to my Earlier post
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=16
Old 12-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Baka Unco

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Actually I think a lot of the people driving little sporty cars are pretty stupid too. I can't count the number of times I get cut off by these things when I'm driving my Land Cruiser. They'll cut in front of me in traffic (with barely enough room for them to fit) and expect me to not hit them. It's like, "I know you saw me, WFT are you thinking?!?!!?"

When someone does this I usually tailgate them for a while, close enough so my lights shine right in their rear window. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. I figure they think that big SUVs have magic brakes so, I figure they wont mind if I follow them closesly. Immature but . . .
Old 12-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Buying a Suburban to carry around a small family of three or four is like buying a Lousville Slugger to hit rocks. Has any one priced one out? Check the all the boxes and they are about $55,000! I can think of a lot of better ways to spend that kind of cash. But I guess to each there own.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Banned

More people do it then you would think, Especially in the new england area...