Sportshift: any risk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sportshift: any risk?

Yes, I am one of those lame people that doesn't drive a stick. However, I would like to use the Sportshift mode more once my engine breaks in. Two questions:

1. Since I'm not experienced with a manual, I'm not always sure the best times to shift (especially downshifting when slowing down). It seems like there are safeguards against doing anything too stupid, but is there anything that might put strain on the transmission over time so that it has a shorter life? In other words, what should I avoid?

2. Is there any down-side to switching back and forth between Auto and Manual fairly often while driving? I could see myself using Manual a lot, but not during the worst traffic areas of my commute to work.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
No worries, you can change back and forth at will.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
1. Shift when you feel comfortable. You'll slowly discover the best places to shift for your driving style. As for downshifting, the engine computer prevents anything that would be damaging to the transmission.

2. Nope. It's only switching between computer modes and not doing anything physical to the transmission. Nothing to worry about.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

If the computer doesn't let you do anything that you shouldn't, what was happening in this example: I was coming up on a turn in 3rd gear and made the left (which goes up a hill). I decided to down shift to 2nd to get more power up the hill, and the car kept jerking and stuttering until I quickly switched back to Drive. I certianly wasn't going verty fast or revving much. Again, sorry for being such a manual newb, but I want to know if this kind of thing is going to hurt the tranny as I figure it all out.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the car will down shift for you, at least mine does when I use the SS mode
Old 05-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

almost never use it
Old 05-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
If the computer doesn't let you do anything that you shouldn't, what was happening in this example: I was coming up on a turn in 3rd gear and made the left (which goes up a hill). I decided to down shift to 2nd to get more power up the hill, and the car kept jerking and stuttering until I quickly switched back to Drive. I certianly wasn't going verty fast or revving much. Again, sorry for being such a manual newb, but I want to know if this kind of thing is going to hurt the tranny as I figure it all out.
Were you on the gas when you shifted or did you completely lift off? The 5AT has a lot of safeguards built-in to prevent mis-shifts, stalling and other engine/tranny killing parameters. The fun part is you can hold gear all the way to redline, which is unusual for SS. Of all the SS cars I've driven, the TSX unit gives you the most control.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Arriving Somewhere...

I can't say for sure, but I might have lifted off when I initially shfited (since I was making a 90 degree turn). Would that cause the jerking motion?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you use it all the time, why not just get a MT?? Sadly, i have AT and I rarely use the SS unless I want to redline....but lately with the gas prices, i don't think i've use SS in a very long time...
Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

I don't use SS very often. I just want to get the hang of it so that I can use it when I feel the urge. Sadly, most of my driving is the commute to and from work, and in those cases I go automatic all the way and pay more attention to music or talk/sports radio. SS will be fun when I'm doing longer weekend drives.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I know almost nothing about manuals. I do know you have to shift up before red line, but is there any danger or damage done if you keep the revs high? I've been switching between SS and automatic to get a sense of what gear it's in at what speed and RPM, and it always shifts at most around 3 to 2.5k. Why not wait until it gets up near red line?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
I can't say for sure, but I might have lifted off when I initially shfited (since I was making a 90 degree turn). Would that cause the jerking motion?
It's quite possible, especially if your RPMs were already very low. You don't need to lift off the gas when you are shifting in SS as the transmission is shifting just as if you were in Auto mode; you are simply controlling the timing of the shift.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally Posted by BananaFusion
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I know almost nothing about manuals. I do know you have to shift up before red line, but is there any danger or damage done if you keep the revs high? I've been switching between SS and automatic to get a sense of what gear it's in at what speed and RPM, and it always shifts at most around 3 to 2.5k. Why not wait until it gets up near red line?
There isn't really anything against keeping the RPMs high (Honda engines are born to rev), but it's generally not a good idea as it wastes gas and places higher strain on your engine/drivetrain. In auto mode, the AT prefers economy so it will shift right around 3000 RPMs for maximum fuel efficiency without sacrificing drivability. SS will let you hold 1st gear all around town if you wish. There really isn't a 'right' time to shift; you should match your shift times to your driving style. That being said, if you need some pointers the manual has a chart of recommended shift points for SS.