A-spec suspension--worth a blind buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-spec suspension--worth a blind buy?

I'm coming from a series of BMW 3-series with sport suspensions and I'm really looking forward to getting my TSX (6MT navi) in August. I've done a lot of reading and searching and I'm pretty interested in the A-spec suspension. However, I've not had a chance to drive one.

What do you all think about having the A-spec suspension installed before delivery?

Here's what I see:

PROS:
1) Better handling--very close to BMW E46 handling from what I've seen on this board
2) Covered by factory warranty if installed prior to delivery

CONS:
1) Spending money on something I'm not sure I need, not having had a chance to drive it
2) Is the warranty important on the suspension?

One other data point for you--years ago, the last time I went from a BMW to a FWD, I bought a Saab Aero, which I loved, but quickly tired of the body roll on corners, highway ramps, etc. I look forward to your feedback--thanks!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 PM
East Coast Crew

Another con is increased chance of scraping.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If body roll was problem for you in the past, I reccomend buying a rear sway bar as your first upgrade. Might try to find a dealership w/ an A-Spec TSX that you can test drive before you buy one. Keep in mind that all A-Spec TSXs from the dealer will have the body kit as well.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just based on your last comment about the Saab and body roll, you will def want to get the aspec suspension. Are you planning on going with aftermarket wheels and tires at all? The aspec suspension will take away the large brake nose dive, a large amount of body roll and really just make the car more fun to drive. I would try and go for a ride but honestly, its around 10% stiffer, although i think they changed the spring rates on the new 06-07 kits (they lower more than the 04-05's do too) and i would assume the 08 would be the same.

Where are you located too, maybe some one could give you a ride because i doubt the dealership will have an aspec on hand....although they might.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
Just based on your last comment about the Saab and body roll, you will def want to get the aspec suspension. Are you planning on going with aftermarket wheels and tires at all? The aspec suspension will take away the large brake nose dive, a large amount of body roll and really just make the car more fun to drive. I would try and go for a ride but honestly, its around 10% stiffer, although i think they changed the spring rates on the new 06-07 kits (they lower more than the 04-05's do too) and i would assume the 08 would be the same.

Where are you located too, maybe some one could give you a ride because i doubt the dealership will have an aspec on hand....although they might.
If you're coming down for our install meet, I'd like to get a ride in your car too to see how it is. I'm planning to get 06-07 A-Spec suspension in a couple months.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
If you're coming down for our install meet, I'd like to get a ride in your car too to see how it is. I'm planning to get 06-07 A-Spec suspension in a couple months.
Sure thing! I'm still trying to arrange a few things to try and make it down there! I will confirming hopefully by beginning of next week
Old 06-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I think the Aspec is a worthy upgrade, I would hold off on it if I were you. Just drive the new car for a while until you can't stand the body roll (which might or might not happen at all), you can always install the Aspecs after you get your car (it's a pretty easy job). It will also bring you some new excitment after the install, as you probably have gotten a little bored with the car after owning it for a while

With the Aspec, you'll notice much less bodyroll esp in higher speed corners, although I think in low speed/tight corners the improvement isn't as dramatic (probably true for most cars with a similar weight).

One thing I can see happening is that if you have Aspec off the lot, you'll start to get used to it and not appreciate it as much. The TSX handles well from stock, but the Aspec adds a significant improvement in the area that it lacks a bit (that is, bodyroll). I got used to the Aspec handling after a while, and whenever I drive a stock loaner, it reminds me of the improvement.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
A-spec suspension + 22mm RSB + 17 or 18 performance tires =

Like Drama's battle cry on HBO Entourage "Victory!"
Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I've read, the Tein CS will bring you closest to that BMW feel.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by visuelz
Another con is increased chance of scraping.
This is a minimal concern with the A-Spec suspension. It's not like the car will be slammed with it.

To the OP, I've had mine about a year and a half now and love it. It adds just enough to the TSX to warrant its purchase without any serious penaties to ride quality. If you like handling in a car, it's worth getting. Just don't pay too much. It can be had from online Acura dealers for ~$600. Dealers will likely try to screw you on the price.

for the A-Spec suspension.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by waTSX
This is a minimal concern with the A-Spec suspension. It's not like the car will be slammed with it.

To the OP, I've had mine about a year and a half now and love it. It adds just enough to the TSX to warrant its purchase without any serious penaties to ride quality. If you like handling in a car, it's worth getting. Just don't pay too much. It can be had from online Acura dealers for ~$600. Dealers will likely try to screw you on the price.

for the A-Spec suspension.
I have to agree with this. I love the A-Spec. I purchased the suspension kit online (for significantly cheaper), but paid for the installation at time of purchase. I then had to wait a few weeks to get the suspension and have it installed. So I had a few weeks to drive the car stock, then get the suspension put on. It is GREAT.

Also, its not too low. I deal with some of the worst roads and bumps I have ever seen daily, and no scrapeage. It looks better then stock too!

I highly recommend the a-spec suspension.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jlukja
From what I've read, the Tein CS will bring you closest to that BMW feel.

Agreed
Old 06-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by InTerSX
I have to agree with this. I love the A-Spec. I purchased the suspension kit online (for significantly cheaper), but paid for the installation at time of purchase. I then had to wait a few weeks to get the suspension and have it installed. So I had a few weeks to drive the car stock, then get the suspension put on. It is GREAT.

Also, its not too low. I deal with some of the worst roads and bumps I have ever seen daily, and no scrapeage. It looks better then stock too!

I highly recommend the a-spec suspension.

I love my A-Spec suspension, although I've been thinking of the Tein CS for it's adjustability.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Cruisin'

Great information here--thanks!

I think the consensus is that there's no need to do it at time of purchase. Not only might I pay more, it might also require the body kit, which I don't think I want.

I'm going to drive it for awhile and then look into doing the A-spec on my own (buying online) or at the Tein. Oh, and an RSB!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^Acura of Escondido on eBay is a good vendor for this when you're ready to buy.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you need to get a new front sway bar for the TSX?

I was talking to a friend about the TSX. He told me you should change the FSB before doing the RSB. Do we need this?

I am planning to get the A-spec and RSB, but not sure if I need the FSB.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^ Its the front "strut" bar and changing that will not provide nearly as much improvement over the rear sway bar.

To the OP, i would def get the car without it and then buy it later but i have had the apsec for about 4 months now and love it. I have also had Tein Basics on my older 04 TSX and that was a very nice suspension too just too stiff for my tastes due to my road conditions near my house. Anyway, i would contact Tim at Hondaacuraworld if you want the supension. I had set up a groub buy (GB) with him for a price of $575 shipped to your door Like Mr. Gold said, apsec + RSB + 18" performance tires = VERY FUN car to drive
Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Well, there is also a front sway bar on the car, but stiffening up that member is likely to increase understeer, something most of us are trying to eliminate.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Reach
Well, there is also a front sway bar on the car, but stiffening up that member is likely to increase understeer, something most of us are trying to eliminate.
Oh yea, i forgot about that underneath in the front. Thanks for clarify Reach!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Also, as someone who actually owns the Tein CS, I recommend to people that if they are just looking for the handling, go with the A-Spec suspension. CS costs significantly more, and is only worth it if you are looking to lower the car up to 1.5 - 2.5", and also be able to control the dampner, such as with a Tein EDFC unit. Granted, I love my setup, but it comes at a premium.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
Also, as someone who actually owns the Tein CS, I recommend to people that if they are just looking for the handling, go with the A-Spec suspension. CS costs significantly more, and is only worth it if you are looking to lower the car up to 1.5 - 2.5", and also be able to control the dampner, such as with a Tein EDFC unit. Granted, I love my setup, but it comes at a premium.
With high premium, comes with a damn sexy set-up though Mike.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 PM
TSX Addict

A-Spec
Old 07-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Cruisin'

since everyone says the 06-07 is lower, is it possible to get a 06-07 setup for my 04 tsx?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Racer

08TSX,

I been in the new 3 series E90 and the suspension is totally different from the TSX A-Spec. The E90 is way...way....Way better than the TSX A-Spec! The A-Spec's are hard with live with sometimes because of uneven roads in San Francisco. The E90 is just so buttery smooth but at the sametime their just really nice sporty feeling.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

mav:

Thanks for your input...even though it isn't helping my TSX decision! The car is ordered, but I could still cancel if I wanted (it wasn't special-ordered for me--I just have dibs on it). Coming from an E46, I went and drove the new BMWs--I drove the 335 and think it's just too powerful for my daily driving, so I drove the 328 and I liked it, but I didn't like it $11,000 more than the TSX (similarly configured). I'm assuming you have a TSX with A-spec, right? Are you saying you wish you hadn't put on the A-spec, or are you saying you wish you'd gone with the BMW?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 08TSX
mav:

Thanks for your input...even though it isn't helping my TSX decision! The car is ordered, but I could still cancel if I wanted (it wasn't special-ordered for me--I just have dibs on it). Coming from an E46, I went and drove the new BMWs--I drove the 335 and think it's just too powerful for my daily driving, so I drove the 328 and I liked it, but I didn't like it $11,000 more than the TSX (similarly configured). I'm assuming you have a TSX with A-spec, right? Are you saying you wish you hadn't put on the A-spec, or are you saying you wish you'd gone with the BMW?
I have an 06 aspec suspension on mine with 18's and it rides stiffer than it doesn with the stock wheels. Are you planning on getting different wheels, or just upgrading the suspension and leaving the stock stuff? I think that will make a difference for you as to what you want to do. The aspec with stock wheels and more importantly the stock tire size, is not a bad ride at all. If the roads are bad in your area, and you upgrade to 18's or 19's with 225/40 or 235/35 tires, then it may feel stiffer to you for obvious reasons!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
I have an 06 aspec suspension on mine with 18's and it rides stiffer than it doesn with the stock wheels. Are you planning on getting different wheels, or just upgrading the suspension and leaving the stock stuff? I think that will make a difference for you as to what you want to do. The aspec with stock wheels and more importantly the stock tire size, is not a bad ride at all. If the roads are bad in your area, and you upgrade to 18's or 19's with 225/40 or 235/35 tires, then it may feel stiffer to you for obvious reasons!
In addition to the A-spec suspension, I'd probably keep the same wheels but upgrade to a better all-season tire. I've read that the stock rubber is one of the biggest disappointments of the TSX. I had hoped to avoid going to summer and winter setups (been changing tires for a long time on my 3-ers), so I was hoping to get some of the new performance all-seasons designed specifically for the TSX (saw an article in Autoweek about some--I think from Toyo). Yes, the roads are bad in MN--winters are pretty bad up here and the roads show the effects!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Racer

Well, my message is if you have the funds to purchase a BMW I think you should stick with it. But if you can't afford a BMW than of course get a TSX with A-Spec suspension. The only thing you have to keep in mind is the minor harsh ride quality from time to time.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mav3556
Well, my message is if you have the funds to purchase a BMW I think you should stick with it. But if you can't afford a BMW than of course get a TSX with A-Spec suspension. The only thing you have to keep in mind is the minor harsh ride quality from time to time.
Really? Do you honestly find the BMW to be $11,000 better than the TSX? I don't mean that to sound harsh--I just have no first-hand experience with the TSX, but you guys do. I've had three 3-series and I've loved them all, but what am I missing that I'm not seeing the $11K price difference? I honestly don't care about "prestige"--I find it kind of embarrassing to tell people that I drive a BMW when they ask. I just enjoy the driving dynamics, the smooth engine, etc.

My only concerns with going to the TSX are: 1) will I find it underpowered? and 2) will it be noisy (hollow-sounding doors, road noise, rattles, creaks, etc.).

I drove a 335, which I could afford, and I think it's a ridiculous amount of power for around-town driving. I don't intend on taking my next car to the track (think I've got that out of my system), so the only driving it would be used for is my daily commute, weekend errands, and once or twice a year driving vacation/road trip.

If I bought a BMW now, I think it'd be a 328--I think it has sufficient power, etc. That's what I'm basing the $11K comparison on--when you add metallic paint (extra cost), leather (extra cost), heated seats (extra cost), nav (extra cost), bluetooth (extra cost), etc., the price really escalates on the BMW. That's where they lose me--I could get a fully loaded TSX or an absolute stripper BMW for about the same price.

I am kind of concerned about this--maybe I'll end up hating a TSX if I get one. Yours isn't the first comment about getting a BMW if you can afford it--maybe I should put this into a new topic and see what people say.

Please respond to this, though, if you'd like--I'd really be interested to hear your thoughts!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Racer

Well 08TSX,

To be truthful with you, I would "never" purchase a car over $50,000 except if it's a Japanese car because I know i'll be getting a longer lasting product and quality is better. Furthermore, I believe the TOP GEAR host Jeremy Carkson said, "Don't believe the Gremans," is something I will always remember and I feel it's true. German cars are too expensive to maintain and fix.

I felt that since you have had a previous history with BMW's. I thought that you should stick with it. I didn't know your preference on purchasing automobiles. But if you don't mind minor noise once and a while and harsh butt movement, than by all means go ahead a buy one and don't forget to get the A-Spec suspension. Personally, I love my TSX compared to my bloody friend's E90.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

mav--thanks for the follow-up. BTW, I love Top Gear and am slowly working my way through all of the seasons. Clarkson, although he sometimes says things just to be provocative, is very entertaining. I wish we had a show like that over here. I watched the ones on Discovery, but they were edited to add in commercials. Generally, they cut out the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment, which is reliably one of the funniest things on the show.

I'm still leaning toward the TSX, but it's hard switching brands. Plus, my wife loves BMWs and she keeps mentioning that we could afford an E90 if I wanted. Affording something and spending money wisely are two different things, of course.