So Much For Clear Bra Protection......

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:03 PM
BRH
BRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Much For Clear Bra Protection......

Two years ago, I had Autobahn Roadblock (Clear Bra) installed on my my TSX (by the dealer).

Today the car is at the dealer for 30K service plus a State inspection. I just got a call that it won't pass inspaection due to a cracked fog lamp lens. I knew about the cracked lens but never thought that a fog lamp lens was even part of State Inspection. (I understand if it was a head light lens, but a fog lamp?....)

Replacement is in the neighborhood of $285!! since they need to remove the bumper to replace the lens. Great Design!

But, I digress.... Hoping that this might be covered by my Autobahn warranty, I contacted Autobahn, and OF COURSE it's not covered because "it must have been a very big rock". The only thing that's covered is reapplication of Autobahn onto the new lens. (But what's the point if it doesn't provide the protection that I expected.)

So, count me as someone who probably won't bother with having a clear bra installed on my next car. While it might protect vs little nicks, etc. it does nothing for anything even slightly more than that.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I did not know fog lights are part of a state inspection-learn something new everyday. Both my foglights cracked within 6 months of ownership of my 06 tsx. I was lucky tho, the dealer replaced both of them free as a one-time good will thing. I now have rockblocker on them and knock on wood doing good.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seriously? VA state inspection checks fog lamps? They aren't an essential part of the car so I don't see why they would. What about all the cars that don't have them, do they not pass because they need foglamps? It makes no sense.

Edit: Actually, I just checked the website http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm and found this:

6. - INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR:

* Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
* Aim of fog and driving lamps.
* Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens.
(NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. Count load in measuring.)

It's kind of confusing, tho. I take the condition of lenses to apply to other lights such as tail lights, not fog lights, but what do I know. I guess I'm screwed because my car needs inspection soon and both of mine are cracked.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 PM
BRH
BRH

Originally Posted by Nogard13
Seriously? VA state inspection checks fog lamps? They aren't an essential part of the car so I don't see why they would. What about all the cars that don't have them, do they not pass because they need foglamps? It makes no sense.

Edit: Actually, I just checked the website http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm and found this:

6. - INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR:

* Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
* Aim of fog and driving lamps.
* Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens.
(NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. Count load in measuring.)

It's kind of confusing, tho. I take the condition of lenses to apply to other lights such as tail lights, not fog lights, but what do I know. I guess I'm screwed because my car needs inspection soon and both of mine are cracked.

The way it was explained to me was that whatever lights you have cannot have cracked lenses. If you don't have foglights, no sweat. If you do, don't crack the lenses.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 PM
BRH
BRH

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I did not know fog lights are part of a state inspection-learn something new everyday. Both my foglights cracked within 6 months of ownership of my 06 tsx. I was lucky tho, the dealer replaced both of them free as a one-time good will thing. I now have rockblocker on them and knock on wood doing good.
Glad that the dealer made good on the lenses for you. But my point is that if a rock cracks the lens in spite have having Rockblocker installed, YOU still pay for the replacement lens and installation (the cost of which is a ripoff in itself).

It now seems to me that Autobahn, Rockblocker, etc. don't really add that much protection to your lenses, (perhaps to your paint, but not to the lenses) or else they would stand behind their product. I sincerely doubt that it was a very big rock that cracked my lens. The lens was only cracked, not indented in anyway. The impact point, however, was obvious. I don't even know exactly when it happened as I don't recall a loud bang of any sort, so it couldn't have been that large a rock.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by BRH
I just got a call that it won't pass inspaection due to a cracked fog lamp lens.
What?! Are you serious? That's ridiculous because fog lamps are optional on most vehicles!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM
TF500

Just remove both fog lamps and then go for inspection.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tf500
Just remove both fog lamps and then go for inspection.
I agree.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Instructor

I agree on removing the fog lamp.

VA has strict vehicle inspections huh? It may be a good thing, since then you don't have unsafe ghetto-ass vehicles driving around like ghetto Detroit. Detroit has quite a few POS's rolling around, some too unsafe to be on the road.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
instead of removing them, here's a better way to get around va inspection. Cover the lights with black tape. As long as they are covered and no light can be seen it's like they're not there. They are not mandantory lights like headlights or tail lights so covering them is fine. after you pass, take the tape off. Also, if you have a little mechanical knowledge, pulling the front bumper is easy. hardest things to get to are the damn clips on the fender liners and the splash shield under the motor.

i found this out when i had a jeep with fog lights mounted on the bumper. I was told to go around the corner and do 1 of the 3 to pass: Cover them with tape, remove them for the inspection or put on on of the fog light covers. Did that and passed.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Racer

Guess I'm taping them up and pulling the fuse so no light comes out if they're turned on.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, it'll melt the tape and make a huge mess too if you don't pull the fuse. Found that out the first time I took my bike to the track.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Racer

I went to get my car inspected today. NO GO with the tape. The guy asked me what the tape was about and I told him it's to cover up the fog lights. He told me he has to check under them and that if they're there, they have to work and not be cracked.

He suggested I remove them and the wiring assembly to pass inspection. Maybe I'll just put the lexan over them and that way they won't be cracked on the outside.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Brum Brum!!

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but in the defense of Autobahn Roadblock, they film over those lights are not meant for Marble size rocks coming directly at a flat surface at probably 50+ mph. maybe I'm a cynic....just my
Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

That sounds a little.....a lot ridiculous. Did you go to the same place when you went to go get it inspected again?? You think it would make much difference if you kept the tape and then went somewhere else??? Just a thought.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I just wish they'd do those inspections here in Florida. At least 2/3 of the cars on the road here would fail. If not more. At least once a day I find myself behind some ---hole with no brake lights. And more cars than not have at least one out. I check all of my running/brake/turn signal lights at least once a week. And not just because it looks ghetto as hell driving around with blown bulbs, it's a courtesy to the other drivers and I like to think it helps me not get hit. I'd gladly take the hassle of fixing a cracked fog light lens if it meant that I'd see working tail lights on the majority of the other vehicles on the road. Just my
Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BRH

Replacement is in the neighborhood of $285!! since they need to remove the bumper to replace the lens. Great Design!

I have a cracked one too I was hoping it would be like 120 for a new fog light .....is the 285 to get yours installed?? Or just to buy the light...?