So, I'm a Dumb-A**

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I'm a Dumb-A**

I bought my TSX brand new in March '06. I LOVE it, love EVERYTHING about it. Except for one little, minor thing. I've complained relentlessly about paying that much for a car and it not having auto-off headlights. And I've had my battery boosted no less than 5 times in the past 2 years and 10 months from leaving my headlights on. I JUST read in my Owner's Manual YESTERDAY that you can set the headlights to shut off.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I thought they auto shut off after a set amount of time you lock your car.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I live in a rural area and don't often lock my doors. So I'm not sure if that's why they never shut off or if somehow my default got changed. The customized setting allows the user to set whether the lights shut off after 0, 15, 30 or 60 seconds after the key is removed from the ignition (which I also rarely do).

Last edited by t_in_maine; 01-06-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:22 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by t_in_maine
I live in a rural area and don't often lock my doors. So I'm not sure if that's why they never shut off or if somehow my default got changed. The customized setting allows the user to set whether the lights shut off after 0, 15, 30 or 60 seconds after the key is removed from the ignition (which I also rarely do).
I park my car in the garage so I do not have to lock the doors-I also make sure to shut off everything, including the radio. I also leave the keys in the ignition when it is in the garage. My mom has the auto-lights on her 08 accord. I shut them off as she does not drive far enough- battery had to be charged twice in the 1st 3 months-after I shut them off-she now does it manually-no problems.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

it is annoying that the car beeps even though this is an option. Why did they do that?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Instructor

my car beeps/plays a noise when i take the keys out of the ignition and still have the lights on....do you have some sort of hearing loss? lol
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I think the key must be removed from the ignition to trigger the auto-off headlight feature. Why don't you take them out and toss them on the dash? See if that works.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

if lights are on, they will automatically turn off some 10 sec after u lock the car.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
our car come with auto off feature.

Leave your head light on, turn off your car, remove the key from the ignition, exit your car, and close the door. 15 sec or so later. it turns off on its own. No need to activate your alarm.

If you remove the key with the light on, and still have not open the door and close, the light will stay on.

If you leave the key in the ignition after turning off your engine, the light will stay on.

The main thing is keys removed and door open and then closed.

... I believe
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I personally don't rely on the auto headlights off feature. After I park, I turn off the headlights manually.

Plus, I think it just attracts unnecessary attention to walk away from a car with the headlights on.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deadlyklappy12887
my car beeps/plays a noise when i take the keys out of the ignition and still have the lights on....do you have some sort of hearing loss? lol
As I mentioned, I don't often take the keys out of my car. I.E. - at my house or at my work.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
At home I turn off the lights manually and I always park in the garage (I never leave the keys in the car, just a habit). Plus I park in the garage because the Home link garage door button is always active (Acura should turn this feature off when the key is out the car).

I only use auto headlights when I'm out and about. Especially when you are leaving or walking up to your car at night in a poorly lighted area. I like the auto feature because it turns on the headlights when you unlock the doors. You never know when someone is around your car at night. The headlights do a pretty good job illuminating the area around the car.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by mrgold35
At home I turn off the lights manually and I always park in the garage (I never leave the keys in the car, just a habit). Plus I park in the garage because the Home link garage door button is always active (Acura should turn this feature off when the key is out the car).

I only use auto headlights when I'm out and about. Especially when you are leaving or walking up to your car at night in a poorly lighted area. I like the auto feature because it turns on the headlights when you unlock the doors. You never know when someone is around your car at night. The headlights do a pretty good job illuminating the area around the car.
Instead of using the homelink-use a key-chain remote. I have one for my mom's garage door. This way since you do not leave the keys in the car you will not have to worry about homelink being active.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
As I mentioned, I don't often take the keys out of my car. I.E. - at my house or at my work.
the lights shut off after 0, 15, 30 or 60 seconds after the key is removed from the ignition (which I also rarely do).
Leaving the key in the ignition won't help you if you're hoping that the car will turn off its lights.

Leaving the key in the ignition is a poor practice, even if the car is in your garage. The key can get locked in, a thief can jump in and drive the car away, or kids might climb in and start its engine. How are you going to explain to the insurance company that the car was taken/damaged with your key in the car?

Anyway, it's good that you were able to learn something new about your car. Now your car can feel a little new again, at least for a while.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
Leaving the key in the ignition won't help you if you're hoping that the car will turn off its lights.

Leaving the key in the ignition is a poor practice, even if the car is in your garage. The key can get locked in, a thief can jump in and drive the car away, or kids might climb in and start its engine. How are you going to explain to the insurance company that the car was taken/damaged with your key in the car?

Anyway, it's good that you were able to learn something new about your car. Now your car can feel a little new again, at least for a while.
When my car is parked in the garage (only there) I do leave the key in the ignition to prevent the doors from locking. We do not have to worry about the kids-they are all grown now. The thiefs would have to break in to get to the car-they could also get into the house, find the keys and do the same thing.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan

HAHA, you don't know how silly that sounds to me. We have a running joke up here in the fall that goes something like "The only reason northern Mainers lock their vehicles is so their neighbor can't leave them zucchini." Theft really isn't an issue, ever. And my children are grown and that isn't an issue either. So while I do appreciate your concern and advice, we do definitely live in two different worlds.