Small scratches after dealer wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small scratches after dealer wash

I'm not sure if this should go into another forum, but I had some bodyside molding put on my NBP TSX on Monday and the dealer washed the car before putting on the molding. I've read a number of threads about avoiding letting the dealer wash your car and you can I say "I told you so". I thought they would just wash the areas where the molding is applied, but they washed the whole car. I didn't notice until I got home, but I have a large number of small, fine scratches on the top of my trunk. I called the dealer and they apologized, but said they can buff out the scratches. Is there any downfall to letting them do this? Thanks,

Derek
Old 03-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by derekh25
I'm not sure if this should go into another forum, but I had some bodyside molding put on my NBP TSX on Monday and the dealer washed the car before putting on the molding. I've read a number of threads about avoiding letting the dealer wash your car and you can I say "I told you so". I thought they would just wash the areas where the molding is applied, but they washed the whole car. I didn't notice until I got home, but I have a large number of small, fine scratches on the top of my trunk. I called the dealer and they apologized, but said they can buff out the scratches. Is there any downfall to letting them do this? Thanks,

Derek
I wouldn't trust the same people who put the scratches on my car to take them out. Instead I would polish them out myself, especially if they are only in a small area (the top of the trunk). The Wash & Wax Forum can provide more detail and recommend specific products.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by derekh25

Derek
Sorry to hear this, but it's a lesson learned. Those fine scratches can definitely be buffed out, but given the dealers inablility to execute a simple car wash, I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car with a high speed buffer

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, have a reputable detailer do it, at the dealers cost.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
FWIW, most stores have a 'revolving door' of lot attendants, but a few good guys that stick around long enough to get good. They'll probably put the best guy on such a detail.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
ABP TSX

Check out the Wash and Wax forum on this board.

Also the link below will outline a DIY to remove the swirls and imperfections in the paint.

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=47
Old 03-22-2006, 04:02 PM
VSA Rocks

Unfortunately, you had to learn the hard way. Most dealers wash the cars (including the new ones) very half-assed. They provide a perfect example how NOT to wash the car:
1. Spotless rinse
2. Wipe down
Total = 3 minutes of washing

While this isn't too harmful to the new ones because they do this on almost an everyday basis, it really can scratch up a dirty car. Any dirt that remains after the rinse will act like sandpaper.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Pro

same thing happened to me.. i didn't expect them to wash my car sent it in to have my driver seat and rain guards fixed... why'd they have to wash it?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:14 PM
TF500

NEVER let the dealer/service whatever wash your car.