Side Molding for TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Molding for TSX

Is there any side molding available for TSX? Also, I heard they have put 50% stronger steel on TL to avoid ding or dent. Did they use the same steel to build the TSX?

Check this out!
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=3271
Old 10-08-2003, 02:24 PM
such a dirty birdy

Maybe that stronger steel is where the extra weight comes from...

I've seen a couple threads about using the MDX and Accord moldings on the TSX.

MDX molding

Accord molding
Old 10-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Have a look at this thread with pictures of European Accord accessories, including the side body moldings:

Interesting Accessories at Honda Deutschland

I've seen a couple of photos of the European Accord or TSX with moldings. I would rather have the molding catch the door ding than the car's body panels.

I don't think this looks bad, and would consider getting them if I knew who sold them. I had thought that Honda UK's Web site would show them, but their Web site is so poorly organized that I couldn't find them. I couldn't find an online German Honda dealer either.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Do they use glue to stick the molding up on the body? is it permanent? I wonder how they do it.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by wawa
Do they use glue to stick the molding up on the body? is it permanent? I wonder how they do it.
That's a good question. Given that the body panels are no longer drilled at the factory for moldings, I would guess that glue would be the goo. Some chap, forgot his name, modified US Accord moldings to fit his TSX. The hardest part was to mill the moldings.

The European Accord moldings ~should~ fit perfectly.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Racer

Honda needs to make a body side molding available right now. Makes no sense they didn't have 'em ready when the car was introduced.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
Honda needs to make a body side molding available right now. Makes no sense they didn't have 'em ready when the car was introduced.
Honda makes the side body moldings. Acura marketing decided not to offer them...yet.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:32 AM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally posted by wawa
I think it's just double stick foam rubber. My Dad's 99 Maxima was like this...we only knew because the molding started PEELING OFF....and the dufuses at the dealership scratched the heck out of his car trying to pry the old moldings off to put on the new one.

Also, there was a discussion somewhere where a guy took the side moldings *off* his Mazda 6, so I'm willing to bet that basically everyone uses the peel and stick method.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MikeMa
I think it's just double stick foam rubber. My Dad's 99 Maxima was like this...we only knew because the molding started PEELING OFF....and the dufuses at the dealership scratched the heck out of his car trying to pry the old moldings off to put on the new one.

Also, there was a discussion somewhere where a guy took the side moldings *off* his Mazda 6, so I'm willing to bet that basically everyone uses the peel and stick method.
It is double sided automotive tape... Used to work at an autobody repair shop. VERY STICK, but definitely not permanent.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:22 AM
2nd Gear

First time poster here. I don't own a TSX yet but I was wondering if any of you guys know if the 04 TL side moldings would fit on the TSX.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:57 AM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by curious_g
First time poster here. I don't own a TSX yet but I was wondering if any of you guys know if the 04 TL side moldings would fit on the TSX.
Does the 04TL have side mouldings? All the pics I have seen show it without the mouldings.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Cruisin'

I talked with my dealer and understand that the Accord side molding is put on with clips so there has to be holes drilled into the doors. They also match in color (CG). The MDX moldings won't match in paint color but they are applied only with tape you also won't be able to use the template for installation so you would have to patteren one off of a 04 Accord.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:09 AM
2nd Gear

You can check out the TL side moldings if you build one on Acura.com.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:22 AM
10th Gear

My feeling is the car doesnt need the side moldings. I first was concerned before I bought mine that they didnt have them, but the lines of the car are so beautiful that the moldings would take away the sculpted look of the car. And the car is so much easier to wash and wax without them. Besides, take a look at ANY car with side molding and see how many dings it has. They do not keep your car from being dinged. The ONLY way to avoid dings is to not park in close or next to other cars. Park away from other cars and WALK!
Old 10-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Take a look at any car with correctly positioned side moldings and you'll see how many FEWER dings it has compared to a car without ANY moldings. My former '90 Accord is nearly ding-free after 13 years except where the molding doesn't cover the body, and I'm very careful where I park. Oh, the moldings do have a few very minor nicks in them. I would rather have the dings on the molding than the sheet metal!

I always park my cars far away in parking lots and walk, but it never ceases to amaze me when dings happen. Sometimes you may be in a situation where you don't have the luxury of parking far way and still be in a relatively safe place.

The beautiful body panels of the TSX are a perfect target for the sloppy, trashy, jealous imbecile pulling up next to you to park.

And those drivers of larger SUV and pickups have enough struggle to park their clumsy vehicles. It's a total laugh watching them struggle to open their door and get in or out. I saw one guy get into and out of his big box SUV through the rear gate. Remember that many of these kinds of vehicles are crudely engineered and built. Even as expensive they are, they typically have free-swinging doors that can ding, ding, ding.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Racer

Originally posted by toto too
I talked with my dealer and understand that the Accord side molding is put on with clips so there has to be holes drilled into the doors. They also match in color (CG). The MDX moldings won't match in paint color but they are applied only with tape you also won't be able to use the template for installation so you would have to patteren one off of a 04 Accord.
What about the European Accord (TSX)? Wonder how those are attached? I'd like to find out how/where to get that info. Any kind of protection has to better than none at all...and the picture of the German Accord with BSM on it looks pretty good.