Side mirror blind spots

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Side mirror blind spots

I have trouble seeing cars next to me with my side mirrors. There is a pretty good size blind spot on both sides. I have installed two little round "dome" style mirrors to help, but I still miss cars every once in a while. Yesterday, I started to cut off a girl on the way home and pulled back in my lane. Was like... oooops! Sorry!

Does anyone else have this issue? I thought it might be the way my seat was adjusted, but then I realized I adjust my mirrors accordingly and still have a problem.

It would be nice to have the whole side mirror dome shaped.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nevermind that! I cant see my side blinkers from behind!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by CJams
I have trouble seeing cars next to me with my side mirrors. There is a pretty good size blind spot on both sides. I have installed two little round "dome" style mirrors to help, but I still miss cars every once in a while. Yesterday, I started to cut off a girl on the way home and pulled back in my lane. Was like... oooops! Sorry!

Does anyone else have this issue? I thought it might be the way my seat was adjusted, but then I realized I adjust my mirrors accordingly and still have a problem.

It would be nice to have the whole side mirror dome shaped.
You just need to adjust your mirrors. There's been some other threads on this, but basically push your side view mirrors out until they show right into your blind spot. You shouldn't be able to see your car at all in your side views, and even then push it out further.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Side mirrors...what are those?

Thus far, I have not came close to killing anybody yet. It has a lot to with I usually don't change lanes at the speed traffic is flowing. Normally, I will speed up a little and find my hole after I pass the car I want in front of.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by NJtsx
nevermind that! I cant see my side blinkers from behind!
Lets see if he chimes in.

I do have my mirrors aimed out pretty far, but too far out and I can't see the cars behind me. oh if I only had an extra pair of eyes next to my ears.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It would be cool if there were two cameras instead of the side mirrors and show the blind spots on the NAVI for the period of time the blinkers are on (like on the RDX I think).
Old 07-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I do have my mirrors aimed out pretty far, but too far out and I can't see the cars behind me. oh if I only had an extra pair of eyes next to my ears.
Ahh, that's what your rearview is for.

Point them all the way outward. It takes a little getting use to if you're not use to it, but you can practically eliminate the entire blindspots.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude get over it, EVERY car has a blind spot, just look over ur left shoulder, it isn't a big deal.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I adjust my side mirrors so I can just see the side (and end) of my car. I need it as a point of reference for how far other cars are behind me in the next lane over if I need to change lanes. Also, because of this, I always turn my head and peek over my shoulder. The only time I almost cut someone off is when I got lazy and didn't peek over. :shakehead
Old 07-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
He's...uh...on time out.

And you can adjust your mirrors in such a way that they pretty much cover everything so you won't have ethe huge blind spots. Basically, you want to adjust your mirrors so that when an item leaves your side view, it will immediately appear on the central rear view mirror.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by jlukja
I adjust my side mirrors so I can just see the side (and end) of my car. I need it as a point of reference for how far other cars are behind me in the next lane over if I need to change lanes. Also, because of this, I always turn my head and peek over my shoulder. The only time I almost cut someone off is when I got lazy and didn't peek over. :shakehead
I use to use my car body as a reference point, but if you move them out farther, you don't need a reference point. Basically if you see anything, then they're in your blind spot. I use the rear view mirror more now to figure out how fast cars are approaching.

side view = blind spot only
rear view = see cars coming up
Old 07-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by wclark
dude get over it, EVERY car has a blind spot, just look over ur left shoulder, it isn't a big deal.
cars I have owned...81 civic, 87 rx7, 88 mazda 626, 84 vw rabbit, 66-67-72 vw Bugs, MG, 79 Muscrat Mach 1, 87 Chevy spectrum, 91 Ranger, 98 F-150.....did I forget any....hhmmmmmmm...probably!

Point is I have never almost cut people off because of blind spots as much as I do in my TSX. Sure I can turn around and look, but in Seattle/Tacoma traffic it's a huge risk to take your eyes off the road for a second.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
He's...uh...on time out.

And you can adjust your mirrors in such a way that they pretty much cover everything so you won't have ethe huge blind spots. Basically, you want to adjust your mirrors so that when an item leaves your side view, it will immediately appear on the central rear view mirror.
Tme out....that's funny.

I adjust my mirrors pretty much exactly like that, but I can't ever get it that sweet spot in between the side view mirror and the rear view. The little dome mirrors I added help and yesterday was the first day I almost cut someone off I didn't see since I put them on (provoking this thread).

oh I forgot i owned a 97 accord....how could I forget about the accord? Man!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Yeah, it seems like there is a pretty big blind spot with the side mirrors. I guess I could adjust them a little further out, but then I won't be able to see the side of my car at all in the mirror for reference. I guess the trick is to look over the shoulder, though that can be dangerous too, if there are people not that far in front of you.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Thriller

WideScreen

Come on...I've never driven a car I was able to see everything from just using the mirrors. I still twist my head around and take quick peeks behind me before I zip through the lanes.

Get yourself those big ass wide rearview mirrors if you need that much coverage.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by o_nate
Yeah, it seems like there is a pretty big blind spot with the side mirrors. I guess I could adjust them a little further out, but then I won't be able to see the side of my car at all in the mirror for reference. I guess the trick is to look over the shoulder, though that can be dangerous too, if there are people not that far in front of you.
the way I set mine is that if something is in your mirror, don't switch lanes. Mine are pushed very far out so that when a car enters the mirror view its in the blindspot, and the split second it leaves the mirror view it shows up in the peripheral view. This nearly eliminates the blind spot, I still check w/ a head turn when I switch anyways though. For all those complaining, give it a try.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Thriller

Originally Posted by xizor
the way I set mine is that if something is in your mirror, don't switch lanes. Mine are pushed very far out so that when a car enters the mirror view its in the blindspot, and the split second it leaves the mirror view it shows up in the peripheral view. This nearly eliminates the blind spot, I still check w/ a head turn when I switch anyways though. For all those complaining, give it a try.
I agree, even if you do spot cars in ur blind spot there's no way to know if they're not going to race you to your intended spot. I always look over and if the lane is empty I take it...I just can't trust moving into a lane using my mirrors alone.

In NYC too many aggressive drivers will f*** with u just because they don't want you to cut in front of them...warning blinkers or not. I should know, I'm one of them. I say this because we're usually in tight traffic almost always. If you're out on the open highway, yeah of course using mirrors "should" be adequate.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

That was what I was thinking. I remember at 16 when I was in class..."...always look over your shoulder because every car has a blind spot."
Old 07-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Just dial 1911

Jesus, even the 16 year old knows better Cjams

Being a (former) motorcycle rider, I know what its like when assholes DONT do a quick check over their shoulders before changing lanes. This is driving 101

wclark, I have a new found respect for you
Old 07-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Just dial 1911

Point is I have never almost cut people off because of blind spots as much as I do in my TSX. Sure I can turn around and look, but in Seattle/Tacoma traffic it's a huge risk to take your eyes off the road for a second.
Yea, like SoCal is any better Just do it.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by joerockt
Yea, like SoCal is any better Just do it.
NO! I don't wanna and ya can't make me! I'm gonna do the 12" dome side mrror mod so I don't have to look backwards. Wouldn't that be tight?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Just dial 1911

NO! I don't wanna and ya can't make me! I'm gonna do the 12" dome side mrror mod so I don't have to look backwards. Wouldn't that be tight?
Your choice, just watch out for motorcyclists with D cell batteries in their jackets...

Old 07-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Guinea Pig

Your choice, just watch out for motorcyclists with D cell batteries in their jackets...

OK....whats the D cell for?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Just dial 1911

OK....whats the D cell for?
To chuck at your car when you cut them off because you didnt turn your head.

Not saying I've done it, but I've heard stories...
Old 07-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Racer

Remind me to stay out to the Seattle/Tacoma area! I'll stick with SoCal where people for the most part actually know how to play well and drive with others on the highway and for the love of god actually look over their shoulders for the 1/2 second it takes to look at a blind spot.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Top notch 6MT

Dude, shoulder check or just stay in the same lane until there's no traffic
Old 07-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Guinea Pig

Jeesh people! I do look over my shoulder for cripes sake. Just messing with ya! I still don't see cars sometimes. Obviously you haven't read all of my posts. Out of all of the cars I have owned....my TSX has the worste blind spots. My driving style has stayed the same, but the cars have changed. I always turn and look before I change lanes, but the pillar between the doors blocks the same exact blind spot my mirrors don't see.

Point taken! I am the only person in the world with this problem. Maybe I might have to modify my car and turn it in to a 2 door coupe like vwong.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Guinea Pig

Here's my solution!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Racer

Jesus, even the 16 year old knows better Cjams

Being a (former) motorcycle rider, I know what its like when assholes DONT do a quick check over their shoulders before changing lanes. This is driving 101

wclark, I have a new found respect for you
thank you, thats what my dad always says, and i don't wanna hit a car because I didn't look in my blind spot with his 05 TL
Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Top notch 6MT

Maybe I might have to modify my car and turn it in to a 2 door coupe like vwong.
Huh? vwong turned his TSX into a 2 door? Did I miss the pictures from vwong?

(I have a feeling I'll be on this one) :troutslap
Old 07-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I wish I still could find a picture of what you should be seeing in the mirrors. Basically, your rear view mirrors will cover all the cars to the back and left / right of you behind your car. The side mirrors are supposed to be able to see everything just outside of your eye when you are turned to look at the mirrors. So when a car is coming up beside you, you should be able to track it in your mirrors up until it is almost out of view and then you should be able to see it in person from the corner of your eye just at the angle of looking at the mirrors.

If your mirrors are set right, you shouldn't need to look over your shoulders. And actually looking over your shoulders is one of the more dangerous things you can do. I've seen crazy girl drivers look over her right shoulder for like 2 seconds at a time while swerving off the lane.

The only true blind spot is when a car that is 2 lanes over and a little behind you makes a lane change and speeds up to your rear quarter panel. A fucking cabbie did that to me at a high speed and almost ran into me. I had no idea that he was going to do that because he is really out of your view being 2 lanes over and behind. He didn't signal or anything. I had to swerve back over and almost did the zigzag thing at 80 mph. I almost wanted to shoot that cabbie.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's a guy who argues for the "traditional" way where you can see the sides of your cars.

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/art...he-mirrors.htm

I still disagree in that you can still see anyone who drives up behind you because you can track him / her from one mirror to another.. The only people you can't see with the "wide" setting is people who are 2 lanes over from you, and the traditional way is worse off for that.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Cruisin'

Try this link -- someone pointed me to this once in an Acura forum, and I have found this to be an excellent method to set mirrors. You may need to get used to a different way of using your mirrors(be extra careful during a transition). This method uses the side mirrors mainly for the blind spots only...need to use the rear view mirror to see cars gaining on you. Also, to me, a shoulder check before a lane check is still critical. Here goes:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/
Old 07-15-2005, 01:11 AM
Guinea Pig

I figured it out on the way home today. I am comming from a 98 F-150 to the TSX. I still have the F-150 and drive it often. The side mirros are over twice the size as the TSX's. I just have to get use to them! When I looked at the side F-150 side mirrors they seem big enough to brush my teeth and do my hair in.

So I am the only person in the world dealing with this issue!.....need a tissue
Old 07-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I drive in stop-n-go traffic so its more important to me to see the side and rear of my TSX through the side mirror than to see the "blind spot". I use the side and rear as a point of reference to see whether the car behind me and in the next lane over is far enough back for me to change lanes. The blind spot is eliminated with a quick glance over the shoulder ( not a 2 second stare )
Old 07-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Instructor

I tried a bit wider setting on my side-view mirrors yesterday and I think I like it better. I can't see the side of my car any more - I set them just a bit wider than that - but I have a better view of my blind spot. I checked as I was passing cars on both sides, and as soon as they disappear from the side view mirror they appear in my peripheral vision. I think this is probably the safest setting. I still usually check over my shoulder unless I know that the lane is already clear, but sometimes you can only manage a quick glance if you're in heavy traffic (as is usually the case on the highways I drive on).
Old 07-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Also even when I glance over my shoulder, it's hard for me to see into the blind spot since the pillar between the doors is right in the way. I guess this is because I'm tall and I have the seat pretty far back. So in my case, I think it's better to use a wider side-mirror setting.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have attended a performance driving class long time ago. The students were taught performance driving as well as accident avoidance techniques. One of the main thing we learned was to adjust the side mirrors properly. I know we all have learned from traffic schools or parents to adjust the mirrors to see the side of the car, as well as head checking the blind spots. Those are still good basic techniques but with the increasing amount of cars on the road, you can not afford to take your eyes off the road in front of you for too long.

Mirror adjustments:
Why adjust the mirror so you can see the side of the car? You will never hit your own car from the side! Instead, adjust the mirror out so you can see the other lanes like other have already mentioned. You should only see the side of your car if you cock your head way back, and learn how to use the side and rear view mirrors together.

Over the shoulder head check:
This is still a good idea. However, keep in mind that moving the head back, check then turn the head around again takes more time than a quick glance to the correctly adjusted side mirrors. I realize it takes awhile to get used to but believe me, once you do, you will be happy that you did.