Should I get the rear spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Stuck in Purgatory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I get the rear spoiler?

Hey everyone! Longtime lurker, new poster here. Couple questions for anyone who wishes to answer: What do you think of the rear wing spoiler? Is it worth getting? I'm buying a silver TSX in August, and I am quite undecided on this. All my previous cars had no spoiler.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 07-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Advanced

I personally think it looks nice, although I have read some opinions that say otherwise. I have one on my TSX and like it, with the exception that every so often, it kinda gets in the way of the rear view. Hope that helps.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:07 PM
10th Gear

I think the TSX looks great without a spoiler. Adding the spoiler makes it a little less "luxurious" but more sporty, so I would decide that way. By the way, this is coming from someone who loves spoilers on most cars (Mazda6, US Accords, Altimas, Maximas, Jettas, etc).

I do think that the sportier colors, red and blue in particular, look really good with the spoiler...but with SS, CG, white, or black I like it without.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:10 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Either way the TSX will still look TITs!

But I remember reading about rear window visability from some of our fellow members here. You may want to size that up before making a decision.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:48 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Personally, I don't care for the rear spoiler. Just doesn't look right - but maybe that's because I'm not used to it.

I also think the original third brake light is still there even though it's been disabled. Seems a little quirky to have a "fourth" disabled brake light...

Just my vote...
Old 07-07-2003, 08:30 PM
Racer

The TSX with the ground effects package (even without the spoiler) is a nice looking machine.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Racer

I second that
I think the subtle "lip type" spoilers looks better on the TSX...IMO
Old 07-07-2003, 09:26 PM
More On

The only thing the spoiler spoils is the looks of the car.

But then again, you gotta take into account that I'm a guy who likes AT, eats quiche now and then......
Old 07-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Pro

hay, i had a question, does adding rear spoiler increase C/Drag, noise, left, or increase stability at high speed? enhance or worsening it???

thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 11:02 PM
More On

Originally posted by gogozy
hay, i had a question, does adding rear spoiler increase C/Drag, noise, left, or increase stability at high speed? enhance or worsening it???

thanks
Speaking as someone who knows nothing about cars, which I imagine most of you have figured out, let me take a stab at it anyway:
No measurable effect one way or the other.
My guess would be that on most production cars, spoilers are essentially cosmetic.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
If (big if) the spoiler is functional at speed, it would definately create more drag, but cancel some lift. If you want my opinion, it's just for looks, little or no real benefit in decreasing lift.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll say this once more. I like the simple understatedness of the car in it's original form. No spoiler or body kit, but then I'm an old guy. I have no doubt that many people have a different opinion than mine. The beauty is that you can do whatever you want to your car. I'm leaving my shit stock.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:14 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont like spoilers.

i like lips.

get a lip spoiler.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:31 AM
Über Geek

The main point of spoilers is to push the car's butt down to increase stability during turns.

Car & Driver did a story on this a few years back. If I remember right, their tests showed no effect below 90-100 mph. Most of our driving is below that and in a straight line.

As for looks, I think they look sharp -- on other cars.

Less is more on the TSX.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:42 AM
BDI
Banned

no.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:53 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally posted by larchmont
The only thing the spoiler spoils is the looks of the car.

But then again, you gotta take into account that I'm a guy who likes AT, eats quiche now and then......
:ghey:
Old 07-08-2003, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the spoiler and love the look of it. Would attach a pic, but it seems there is a 1 byte file size limit.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

The spoiler's fine, but it's not funcitional and it costs way too much. I'd never get one. Spend the dough on other options.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Pro

thanks!!!! i was wondering about the co# bcause i saw Nissan maxima post a lower co with spolier!!! thinking a lower co lead to higher top speed.... but thanks for the info!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by moda_way
I have the spoiler and love the look of it. Would attach a pic, but it seems there is a 1 byte file size limit.
if you send it to me i can host it
Old 07-08-2003, 09:15 PM
More On

Originally posted by captainjack
The main point of spoilers is to push the car's butt down to increase stability during turns.....
Hey, Captain -- you're obviously someone who knows cars, so let me (one who DOESN'T) ask you this:

It would seem to me that this can't really be right, because if it were, then instead of a spoiler they'd just put something like a little block of lead on the car's butt. (Right?) That would have the same weight-effect, and much more efficiently and cheaply.

So I've got to assume there are some aerodynamics involved. Now, I know you didn't say it's THE WHOLE point, just the main point. But still.....If it were predominantly just a weight effect, I don't think anyone would have ever gone to the trouble of designing a stupid pascudnyak like that to put on the back of a car.

And the best thing about this is, I KNOW you're gonna have the whole answer for us, so inside of a few minutes or hours or whatever, we're gonna have the mystery of spoilers answered, right here on a-tsx.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey, Captain -- you're obviously someone who knows cars, so let me (one who DOESN'T) ask you this:

It would seem to me that this can't really be right, because if it were, then instead of a spoiler they'd just put something like a little block of lead on the car's butt. (Right?) That would have the same weight-effect, and much more efficiently and cheaply.

So I've got to assume there are some aerodynamics involved. Now, I know you didn't say it's THE WHOLE point, just the main point. But still.....If it were predominantly just a weight effect, I don't think anyone would have ever gone to the trouble of designing a stupid pascudnyak like that to put on the back of a car.

And the best thing about this is, I KNOW you're gonna have the whole answer for us, so inside of a few minutes or hours or whatever, we're gonna have the mystery of spoilers answered, right here on a-tsx.
Hey Larch...Here's your mission should you chose to accept it. Make a really cool lookin piece of lead that drops the rear end and you can retire. Just kiddin dude. As my friend calls them, Vin Weasel wings are here to stay I'm afraid. I don't see the attraction but I guess the kid's like em. I think Acura hit the nail on the head with the TSX, but apparently they didn't think so. Otherwise why would they offer a body kit and a wing. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:00 PM
More On

Originally posted by swami
Hey Larch...Here's your mission should you chose to accept it. Make a really cool lookin piece of lead that drops the rear end......
Heh heh, you said drops the rear end.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:07 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't get one on mine. I think it is kind of goofy to have something for looks that is that expensive and serves no functional purpose on a car like this. But I am 37. Maybe for younger guys who want the sportier look it is okay. But not for me.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Drifting

The TSX is one of the few cars I can think of that looks like ass with the factory spoiler.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

I got the spoiler and love it.....but I think only a few colors look good with it Black, Red and White...
Old 07-08-2003, 11:03 PM
9th Gear

Saw a SS one at the dealership today with the spoiler. I gotta be honest and say I don't like it on this car. I really like factory spoilers but somehow it didn't look right for me.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:00 AM
Cruisin'

Personally, I don't like the looks of the spoiler on the TSX. Additionally, if it does add any downforce (which I doubt), it needs to be balanced with the front splitter/lip to help in the downforce area. Overall, I think it just adds drag, hurts rear visability, and, IMO, breaks up the clean lines of the car.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:16 AM
Advanced

I say go for it! I think the TSX butt looks naked without it! Definitely adds to the sporty look (if that's what you're going for).

I've owned several cars (age 37) and all came with rear spoilers (they were not an option). Guess I've gotten use to them.

The TSX spoiler is neat because of the built-in stoplamp and the fact that TSX logo is engraved on the underside (which is nicely seen as a reflection off of the trunk lid!).

Recently returned from a 1500 mile trip and averaged over 31 MPG on some legs so drag is not a problem if you're worried about that by adding the spoiler.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Allow me...

Larch, you hit the nail on the head yourself when you said "predominantly a weight EFFECT." Remember that spoilers are *supposed* to be upside down wings. As air flows over/under a wing, it creates lift. In the case of a wing spoiler, the airfoil shape is inverted and the "lift" is made to act downwards and they call it "downforce" (the "weight effect"). Iit's true that you could get the same effect with a lead weight in the trunk. But think about all the negative side effects:

1. You just added a bunch of weight to your (already heavy) car (whereas the spoiler can't be more than 10 lb.)

2. Beyond the obvious static disadvantages of extra weight, there are the dynamic ones. Now it's harder to make the car change direction (this is the same argument some people were using against putting a heavier V-6 engine in this car).

There's some other small things, but those are the main issues. The point is, a wing spoiler can get the same job done as a lead weight with less harmful side effects. So it may be cheaper to use a lead weight, but it's not more efficient. But all this doesn't matter because..........REAR downforce on a FRONT wheel drive car (especially one that has no tendency to oversteer at all) is pretty useless.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Racer

i'm not big on car engineering as well, but it is true that a spoiler adds drag to the rear end of a car. i'm basing this on the audi TT. the audi TT was manufactuered w/o a rear spoiler... however, after much testing of the TT after its debut, audi found that the car was very dangerous at high speeds (spin outs in particular). they even went to the point of recalling all the TT to add spoilers for all their customers. the spoiler increases the drag in the rear end to help keep the car on the ground, preventing spin outs.

but this is the general idea of a spoiler... but it does depend highly on the car's aerodynamics (the TT looking much different than the TSX).
Old 07-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Cruisin'

Audi added the wing because of poor aerodynamics. without the wing, they (the TT) was achoeveong lift in the rear at high speeds. the wing was required to add downforce to the rear to prevent the rear end from getting light at higher speeds, especially when cornering.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Über Geek

…And the best thing about this is, I KNOW you're gonna have the whole answer for us, so inside of a few minutes or hours or whatever, we're gonna have the mystery of spoilers answered, right here on a-tsx.
You're too kind Larch.

Clutch beat me to it, though. My badly worded point was that since spoilers are functionally duds on the TSX, it's purely aesthetic.

To me, it's not worth the money on this car. But remember the "whale tail" wing on those 80s 911 Turbos? THAT was bad-ass.

Going even further back, the Lamborghini Countach had a FRONT wing that cost an extra $4000 alone.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:52 AM
More On

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Allow me......Remember that spoilers are *supposed* to be upside down wings. As air flows over/under a wing, it creates lift. In the case of a wing spoiler, the airfoil shape is inverted and the "lift" is made to act downwards and they call it "downforce" (the "weight effect"). Iit's true that you could get the same effect with a lead weight in the trunk. But think about all the negative side effects:
.........But all this doesn't matter because..........REAR downforce on a FRONT wheel drive car (especially one that has no tendency to oversteer at all) is pretty useless.
Just GREAT, clutch -- and thanks again captain jack.

You dudes are too kind -- really. I said I don't know anything about cars, and I proved it again. I misunderstood captain's whole thing in the first place! When he said the main point of spoilers is to push the car's butt down, I assumed he meant just gravity from the weight of the spoiler! That's why I "countered" it by saying, it must be aerodynamics too. Now I see that indeed it IS aerodynamics, not (or hardly) the weight; and of course that was what captain meant too.

And, neat punch line about how on a FWD car it hardly matters anyway.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:10 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by hondaboy_tsx
Personally, I don't care for the rear spoiler. Just doesn't look right - but maybe that's because I'm not used to it.

I also think the original third brake light is still there even though it's been disabled. Seems a little quirky to have a "fourth" disabled brake light...

Just my vote...
yeah i remember when i was looking at the prelude, the SH came stock w/ spoiler and accordingly, a rear deck w/o that "fourth" brake light....so some people replaced their base prelude rear deck (w/ the light) with that rear deck.

too bad no such thing for the TSX...i also think the extra disabled light would look kinda goofy.

i'm personally waiting for a lip spoiler w/ no LED on it
Old 07-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Personally, I don't like the spoiler. Also, I don't think Acura likes it either. I haven't seen a single ad or commercial with a TSX that has a spoiler. Most Acura ads, that I can recall at least, they add the spoiler to the car.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Here's an interesting take, IMO, on the rear spoiler for those who are suggesting/refuting purpose. I think it is agreed that the spoiler does little for increasing down-force on the rear of the car.

I would also like to state (ignoring the cost of the spoiler) that the spoiler does as much for creating down-force as the twin exhaust pipes to do create engine performance.

So, the only point that matters on the spoiler issue is style. If you don't like the thing, fine, but why argue its purpose?
Old 07-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't think the cost of the spoiler can be ignored. Especially where the dual exhaust tips are standard. It's not that there's anything *wrong* with being non-functional. But 600 bucks PLUS installation is a pretty hefty price for a non-funcional piece of "stylish", drag-inducing metal. But I guess if you're willing to pay that price, it's cool.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Über Geek

Originally posted by moda_way
…So, the only point that matters on the spoiler issue is style. If you don't like the thing, fine, but why argue its purpose?
I thought we were clarifying more than arguing.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I totally understand the point of cost as well as the point about clarifying... fact remains, it is still a point of style over functionality and I guess I just find it humorous that some people want to equate a real-world function for a spoiler when the standard dual exhaust is just as functionally useless.

I didn't pay that much for the spoiler, so it had little effect on my financing, roughly $8.30 USD a payment... WHOOPIE .... for something I do think looks good.

Quick Reply: Should I get the rear spoiler?