Should I get the navigation system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 07:40 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Thumbs up Should I get the navigation system?

I have finally decided to get the TSX, but I just cannot decide as to whether I should get the navigation system or not. I don't go on long distance trips a lot and I don't usually get lost :-)

My concerns with the navigation system are:

1. The $2000 tag - can I justify that with my driving habits?

2. Is it stiill too new, is the current system going to be outdated very soon?

3. Does it make the operation of the other systems (e.g. climate control) too cumbersome?

4. If it breaks down, it will affect BOTH the navigation and the climate control systems.

I would appreciate any advice that you can give! In fact, I have been most grateful for all the very helpful information that I have obtained from this forum. Thanks!!!

P.S. The TSX "won" from the list of BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mazda 6 V6, Saab 9-3 Arc, Accord EX V6... the usual suspect, I guess! LOL And I have to add that the handling of the Accord EX V6 was completely different! I loved that V6 (I wished the TSX had that!!!) but the handling was too soft for my liking...
Old 11-23-2003, 08:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
navi adds weight....more weight = slower car.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Panzerkampfsnowzen

I was originally going to get the TSX without the Navi, but after test driving with it and without it...The inside of the car just looks too plain without the Navi. I could see my wife using the Navi more than I, and I've only had the car since last Wednesday, but I've already used it 3 times while sight seeing. The database of touristy spots is nice...

Besides, the cool factor that the Navi brings to the TSX is pretty high. If you're not going to SCCA the car or Shell Station Street Race it, the weight is a non sequitur...
Old 11-23-2003, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

i had navi in my last car also (2001 acura TL) and i can tell you this before i became an insuirance agent, i never really used it much. i still didnt regret getting it and after i got this business of insurance i use it almost daily going to peoples houses to inspect them before i insure them.
but as many have said when getting into my car, the cool factor of being able to say "find nearest mexican resturant" and have the system actually follow your instructions is definitly a crowd pleaser.
not only that you will find once you have it there are times you will wonder how you ever managed to drive a car in unknown territory or take a trip without it.
also i learned a long time ago how much i hated it when i get a new car and my car lacks a feature someone else has. you feel like you were being too cheap to get the really cool stuff. and the navi is by far one of the most wow features you will find on any new car these days.

so i guess im saying if you can swallow the extra 2,000 and it isnt going to affect your budget then definitly get it.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Should I get the navigation system?

i should answer your questions

[i]

YOU WILL USE IT MORE THAN YOU REALISE AT FIRST , THEN AFTER A WHILE YOU WONT USE IT MUCH BUT ONCE YOU SEE HOW HANDY IT IS YOU WILL USE IT TO LOCATE RESTURANTS, ATM,S AND EVEN JUST FOR A PHONE NUMBER.

2. Is it stiill too new, is the current system going to be outdated very soon?

I DONT SEE ANY OF IT GETTING OUTDATED, IN FACT ACURA HAS ONE OF THE MOST ADVANCED SYSTEMS IN THE INDUSTRY

3. Does it make the operation of the other systems (e.g. climate control) too cumbersome?

NO BECAUSE YOU PUSH 1 BUTTON AND THE WHOLE a/c MENU COMES UP AND IS ALL TOUCH SCREEN OR VOICE ACTIVATED. THE CLIMATE CONTROLS I USE MOST OFTEN IS THE "AUTO" BUTTON AND THE TEMP BUTTONS. I NEVER EVEN MESS WITH ANY OF THE CLIMATE CONTROLS, YOU DONT NEED TO. SET IT FOR 71 DEGREES AND FORGET ABOUT IT.

4. If it breaks down, it will affect BOTH the navigation and the climate control systems.

I DONT THINK ANYTHING GETS AFFECTED EXCEPT THE NAVI AND FOR THE RECORD I HAVE THE SAME SYSTEM (SORT OF) IN MY 2001 TL FOR 3 YEARS AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS.

[/B]
Old 11-23-2003, 11:07 AM
You want me to break it?

I got the Navi and enjoy it alot - cool to see where you are, how far til your exit, etc. My only concern is that if the screen goes out then you will have a large portion of your center stack that is blank/fubar'd and it won't look very good. There is always voice control, or you could control ac with buttons by screen, set radio stations with center dash display, etc. I'm not certain as to how all this is wired, but one would hope that if Navi goes bad it wouldn't take out your AC and radio as well (vaguely remember a thread about this, but too lazy to search right now).

(Sarcasm mode engaged)
Depending on who you talk to on this forum, a potential downside is that the government will be secretly tracking you and planting subliminal messages about foreign governments in your head using your navi system to brainwash/track/imprison you.
See black helicopters thread for all the DISTURBING details (sarcasm off)

Thank you very much, please drive thru
Old 11-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

how much weight does navi add?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It weights less than your spare tire and the junks in your trunk.

I didn't buy the nav but wish I did...
Old 11-23-2003, 11:34 AM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get it. It's only money really and in the long run its not much.

Originally posted by hOndafienD
navi adds weight....more weight = slower car.
If your looking for speed why did you get a 4 banger sedan?
It's quick but come on.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Navi adds no more than 50 pounds of weight. The TSX is already heavier than the japanese counterparts because of its US mandated safety features (front 2.5mph bumpers, etc). I'm glad I got the navi, I'm not afraid to take detours off the freeway if it gets congested, I also like the trip computer, and also the integrated audio and climate controls. It makes the interior very badass
Old 11-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Once you answer this for yourself the other issues won't matter much. I don't think the coolness factor will go very far. If you plan to keep the car at least 3-4 years the navi will add nothing to the resale value fo the car..
As with any electronics, the navi will be outdated much quicker than the car itself. Ask anyone with a 3 year old car with navi.
While a dedicated button for climate control is nice I don't think it's too bothersome to get to it via the screen.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by tony4311
Get it. It's only money really and in the long run its not much.

If your looking for speed why did you get a 4 banger sedan?
It's quick but comeon.
cuz the tsx is a sexxy car...i like the luxury, but i rather have performance...but still want the luxury
Old 11-23-2003, 01:51 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey ostrich -- if you are on the fence about your navi purchase, let me say this: get the navi!!

seriously, do a search and you will find many threads about people who asked the same question, or you will find some people who regret not getting the navi.

10 years ago nobody needed a cell phone, it was a luxury. now it is almost a necessity. navi is the same situation. once you have a nav, you will never own a car without one. its convient to say the least...at least for my lifesytle...
Old 11-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

good point ^^
Old 11-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Banned

you can buy a handheld one and keep it in the glove for 90% less.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Drifting

I am in the camp that I can't live without the nav system. You should get it b/c you'll regret not getting it later. Navigation systems are so useful, and we are fortunate that Acura/Honda has one of the best in the industry. I've said it many times before, once you have a nav system you can't purchase another car without one. So beware.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by Jason
I am in the camp that I can't live without the nav system. You should get it b/c you'll regret not getting it later. Navigation systems are so useful, and we are fortunate that Acura/Honda has one of the best in the industry. I've said it many times before, once you have a nav system you can't purchase another car without one. So beware.
You hear it over and over again the Navi is one of the most useful tool you ever have.

The voice comands control the drive and passanger temp, radio stations, and cd number and track. Oh yeah, what bass mechanic said about mexican resturant also works with just so many other things. The WoW factor is something I still get with people that have much more expensive luxtury cars than I do.

My wife puts messages in the calendar to remind me of things I wanted or have to do. If you do get the Navi you will not regrete it.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ortiz

My wife puts messages in the calendar to remind me of things I wanted or have to do. it.
hey oritz does the calender remind you of things or do you have to manually go there and look for things?
Old 11-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Racer

I recommend you get the nav - as others have said, once you buy a car with it, you won't be able to buy a new one without it. Last night, my wife and I were driving around our 'burg in the other "X" trying to find a neighborhood in the dark - we used the nav to get within striking distance and landed right on it. Kept us from driving around endlessly for hours. It's not a cheap option but you don't pay the entire $2000 all at once anyway and it will add to your car's resale value down the road. My only beef is the update DVD's don't seem to come out often enough and they're overpriced.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:42 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by Crazytree
you can buy a handheld one and keep it in the glove for 90% less.
That is like saying who needs the fancy stereo in the TL when you can buy a Sony Walkman and put it in the glove box for a lot less.

There isn't a handheld GPS system on the market that comes close to the Acura system in capabilities. I know because I've tried every one I can get my hands on.

Each driver has to decide what may and may not bue useful/desirable for their car. I can certainly understand why somebody would pass on the NAV system. But, don't be fooled into thinking you can easily add a system later that is anywhere close the Acura system.

And, I hear all the arguments about the system being obsolete in a few years. On some level, that is probably true. Newer and better systems will keep coming out year after year. But, so what? that won't make the system you have any less useful. Heck, the systems that Acura went with on the last generation of TL/RL/CL are obsolete now but still useful.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Thank you so much, everyone! I think that you have all pretty much convinced me that I should go with a navigation system! Now, I will have to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they have a carbon gray one with quartz interior WITH the nav system... :-)

Will keep you all posted! Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by ostrich
Thank you so much, everyone! I think that you have all pretty much convinced me that I should go with a navigation system! Now, I will have to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they have a carbon gray one with quartz interior WITH the nav system... :-)

Will keep you all posted! Thanks again.
Uhhhh, that's like an excellent choice or something.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by darth62
Heck, the systems that Acura went with on the last generation of TL/RL/CL are obsolete now but still useful.
I disagree with your statement only in that the system from my 2001 CL-S was not obsolete. There were newer and better systems of course, but it would take years and years before it became obsolete. Even when we have full internet and God knows what else integrated in nav systems, every nav system will still be useful to a point (which I know was what you are saying).
Old 11-23-2003, 10:03 PM
Not an Ashtray

Ok. Obsolete was the wrong choice or words. What I meant was that it is not the most current technology. I think we see this in the same way, I just used poor wording.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the OEM navi, its great.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

I test drove the TSX with navi before my wife had a chance to drive the car. The salesman asked if I wanted a demo of the navi and told him no because my wife with never go for the extra $2000, so there would be no point. Toward the end of the drive I asked him to turn it on, and I was blown away. Still, I figured my wife would veto any thoughts of such an extravagance. However, when she was able to drive the same car a few days later, she seemed to be excited about the idea. I tried to act casual, but inside I was jumping up and down. Bottom line: we picked up our TSX with 6 speed and Navi on Saturday night, took it wine tasting in the Sierra Nevada foothills the next day, and I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. My only disappointment with the system is that a list of wineries should be provided in the places along with the Mexican restaurants. This might present a legal problem for Honda however, so I can overlook this omission.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Advanced

what about NAV failure?

hello all,

I too am contemplating on getting the NAV or not. The one question that I too have is, what happens if the NAV fails? In other words, what if the screen blacks out...how would one control the climate control or audio system? Is it pretty pricey to repair or does it not happen too often in most reports? I love the novelty of having one, but in the long run can it be a maintenance hog to upkeep in times of failure?

thanks for all your input.

-S
Old 11-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Get the nav. It isn't all about road trips. You will use it around town, too, if your town is well mapped. I used the nav in my 2001 MDX this past saturday, when a friend and I were taking the kids to a special event at a place that neither of us knew. We were taking both cars and he downloaded a map from the internet with driving instructions. I took the map and put the address in our nav, found the place and told him to follow us. He was amazed that the nav worked so well. There have been many instances of that usage over the years with the MDX and, there will be many with our TSX. In fact, I've ordered an Acura TL with nav, too. That's how much we like it and use it.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by hOndafienD
cuz the tsx is a sexxy car...i like the luxury, but i rather have performance...but still want the luxury
Then you will be disappointed in June '04. You know this car weighs ~3300 lb, right?
Old 11-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Not an Ashtray

Re: what about NAV failure?

Originally posted by overkast
hello all,

I too am contemplating on getting the NAV or not. The one question that I too have is, what happens if the NAV fails? In other words, what if the screen blacks out...how would one control the climate control or audio system? Is it pretty pricey to repair or does it not happen too often in most reports? I love the novelty of having one, but in the long run can it be a maintenance hog to upkeep in times of failure?

thanks for all your input.

-S

There are some redundant controls on the dash (volume, tunning, seek/scan, temp, defrost), and you can also access the audio and climate control screen without using the nav at all. If the nav failed to boot for some reason, you can just bring up the audio screen by hitting the "audio" button. Likewise, you can bring up the HVAC screen but hitting "A/C".
Old 11-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Re: Re: what about NAV failure?

There are some redundant controls on the dash (volume, tunning, seek/scan, temp, defrost), and you can also access the audio and climate control screen without using the nav at all. If the nav failed to boot for some reason, you can just bring up the audio screen by hitting the "audio" button. Likewise, you can bring up the HVAC screen but hitting "A/C".
But what if the whole screen goes out? I spent a short time in a friend's TSX w/ Navi and from what he showed me there seemed to be many more climate control and radio/CD controls on the screen than there were redundant buttons surrounding it. In this regard, aren't you screwed if the whole display konks out? This would be the thing that would concern me the most. I wonder how much a new display costs? I wouldn't be suprised if it's over $1K. Granted no one should be paying for one until 3.5 years from now.

To a lesser degree, nobody seems to mention that with traditional buttons and knobs you end up being able to operate most of them by feel. I can't see how this is possible with a flat touch screen. On the other hand, I guess that's why the voice commands are there.

Bill - Who will, in fact, see if he can afford the Navi when the time comes.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: what about NAV failure?

hi darth,

you're always full of information...thank you! so, the HVAC and audio doesn't rely dependently on the NAV, yet it can operate independently? that's great to know. btw, would you happen to know of any reports of the NAV failing to boot in the past from other vehicles or Acura themselves? what would the anticipated cost of repairing a NAV that fails to boot once the warranty is over (does the warranty cover something like that)?

thanks again,

-S
Old 11-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Not an Ashtray

Re: Re: Re: what about NAV failure?

Originally posted by Billiam
But what if the whole screen goes out? I spent a short time in a friend's TSX w/ Navi and from what he showed me there seemed to be many more climate control and radio/CD controls on the screen than there were redundant buttons surrounding it. In this regard, aren't you screwed if the whole display konks out? This would be the thing that would concern me the most. I wonder how much a new display costs? I wouldn't be suprised if it's over $1K. Granted no one should be paying for one until 3.5 years from now.

To a lesser degree, nobody seems to mention that with traditional buttons and knobs you end up being able to operate most of them by feel. I can't see how this is possible with a flat touch screen. On the other hand, I guess that's why the voice commands are there.

Bill - Who will, in fact, see if he can afford the Navi when the time comes.
Bill, I'd prefer to use just buttons myself. That is why I prefer the control layout on the TL, where almost all the buttons are redundant on the dash.

That said, there is little that you can't control with just buttons.

For the radio, you can do the following from the dash/wheel controls:

Change the mode (CD/FM/AM).
Volume.
Go through the presets.
Tune.
Scan and Seek.

But, you can't set presets or directly access a specific preset without the NAV.

Climate control you can do the following without the screen:
Set temp (and, with the system in audio, lowering the temp increases the fan speed).
Turn on defrosters.
Turn on/off AC.

You can't adjust the mode (bilevel, dash vents, etc without the screen).

The chance of the screen going bad are not good. Its is very reliable technology with no moving parts. You should get 10 to 15 years from it, with no problem.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:44 PM
6th Gear

i say get the navi it is great. also makes the inside of the car look better. just got my delivered on sat. took two months plus was the wrong color. i ordered blue however came here and it was black, however the dealeship gave me money off the car, more for my trade in, free wheel locks, mud flaps, window etching, and trunk tray, so i cant complain. man i really love that car
Old 11-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Not an Ashtray

hi darth,

you're always full of information...thank you! so, the HVAC and audio doesn't rely dependently on the NAV, yet it can operate independently? that's great to know. btw, would you happen to know of any reports of the NAV failing to boot in the past from other vehicles or Acura themselves? what would the anticipated cost of repairing a NAV that fails to boot once the warranty is over (does the warranty cover something like that)?

thanks again,

-S
I have version 1.000 of the Nav. I've been driving it for six months, with about 6,000 miles on it. It failed to boot correctly once out of the hundreds of times I've use the NAV. At that time, I was able to use the audio and HVAC screen with no problem, but I had trouble getting the map screen to come up. I just turned the car off and turned it on again, and then had no problem.

The nav is covered under warranty. After warranty, it would probably be a hight ticket item to replace. The most vulnerable aspect would be the DVD player in the trunk.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Drifting

btw, would you happen to know of any reports of the NAV failing to boot in the past from other vehicles or Acura themselves? what would the anticipated cost of repairing a NAV that fails to boot once the warranty is over (does the warranty cover something like that)?
I had a nav system on my '01 CL-S for 3.5 years and never had a single instance of start-up failure. In addition, I did not notice any degradation of image quality in all that time. I would say that 7-10 years is a conservative estimate for the lifetime of the display. I think its fair to expect something to last that long on a car and then spend $1000 to replace it, if it even costs that much.

BTW, the nav system on a 2001 car is still very useful today.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:45 PM
A-TSX Member

Hello, long time listener, first time caller here.

I just picked up my Carbon Gray/Ebony/Auto/Navi last Saturday after 6 weeks of waiting. I initially didn't plan on getting the Nav but once I found out about its cool features, I had to have it.

I also put it to good use as I purchased the car from another state from which I live in and got lost coming back home.
The navigation system put my right back to the correct path and I was home free.

There are a lot of things great about this car. . . the nav system is on or close to the top of this list. I love the car, and I love the Navigation system. The scary part is I still have yet to learn half the available commands on it.

So if you can afford it, go for it.

Thank you Acura
Thank you TSX
Thank you Navigation System
Old 11-26-2003, 08:52 AM
wiz
Pro

I had a lot of the same concerns as you about dropping 2k on the navi unit when I bought my car. I wish I had test driven the TSX with the navi so I could see how it really is top notch and would have been worth 2k when I bought the car. You may not take too many trips, and you may think you know your way around where you live, but when you have a map that tells you exactly where you're at all the time, not to mention that it will tell you how to get somewhere, and if there is traffic and you deviate from the course, it will re-plot you a new course...I wish I would have gotten one now. I could have used it so many times already, and not only on trips, but also in and around Atlanta where I live.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by wiz
I had a lot of the same concerns as you about dropping 2k on the navi unit when I bought my car. I wish I had test driven the TSX with the navi so I could see how it really is top notch and would have been worth 2k when I bought the car. You may not take too many trips, and you may think you know your way around where you live, but when you have a map that tells you exactly where you're at all the time, not to mention that it will tell you how to get somewhere, and if there is traffic and you deviate from the course, it will re-plot you a new course...I wish I would have gotten one now. I could have used it so many times already, and not only on trips, but also in and around Atlanta where I live.
Sad story from a good guy right there.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
hey oritz does the calender remind you of things or do you have to manually go there and look for things?
Sorry BM I didn't see your post earlier. But no the calender does not remind you of thing automaticly. You actually have to go to the calander then you see a checkmark on the day telling you there is a message.

Mon-Fri I drive to different locations. Sometimes I would go to the worng place so I now put my scheduel into my navi and every morning when I get into my car I check it to make sure I go to the right place. So navi has many usefull features.