Seat Heater Configuration/Layout?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Heater Configuration/Layout?

Can anyone confirm the layout of the heating coils in the seats?

I'm pretty sure the driver's seat has butt and back heaters and the passenger has just butt.

Do you know if the heating coils exist under all "panels" of the seat?
The butt of the seat is stitched into 3 panels....fore/mid/aft.

Also...on the drivers seat.....are heating coils under the bottom/mid/upper panels of the seat?

I'm close to being out of warranty and now that winter's here, I'm not trusting the heating of the seats. Passengers have reported no heat/sporadic heat and that got me investigating.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
A quick dip into the Service manual yields:

Drivers seat has butt and back, passenger is butt only. The location pictures are not specific enought to draw any conclusions about location, but if they are to scale, the heating elements are about 80% coverage.

(Now out of manual and into speculation)

Given what I know about seat heaters, they are usually self-contained resistance pads placed between the seat foam and the upholstery...therefore striping the covers shouldn't hurt them...your milegae may vary. The blown-up diagram does NOT show the heater pad separate from the foam though...

(Back into manual)

OK...testing passenger seat...remove seat (but the instructions on this seem to imply just removing the rail bolts should allow you tip the seat to get to the connector to test...warning, this involves fiddling around with SRS connectors, be careful)...disconnect the 4P connector and check for continuity between 2 and 3 and then 3 and 4, there should be continuity...fix if there isn't, replace seat heater. (Again, implies you can do it)

Testing switch...much more complex...let me know if you plan to try...the diagram is interesting, and I haven't figured it out yet.

So if you really want to delve into it, sent me a note and we'll see what we can do...personally, it looks like a lot of trim work for a questionable return...this would be a stealership price quote at least if it were me and I could verify the incorrect function of the passenger seat. I suspect any competent upholstery shop could help you too...if you need the schematics, I can try to scan/fax them .

Da Duck
Old 01-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Driver: bottom cushion and lower back
Pass: bottom cushion only - this is b/c the airbag sensor is in the lower back of the passenger seat.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Racer

definitely lower back only for drivers seat.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Thanks Duck and offset.

The passenger seat seems to be covered with heat on the front panel mostly (but not all), the 2nd panel barely and the back panel not at all.

Can you guys turn on your passenger heaters and verify the heat source in the panels?

Thanks