The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
buyers remorse alert
Old 07-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by soopa
buyers remorse alert
me and soopa are flaming eachother on IM, hahahaha. Sometiems i do wish for more power. that was my big stickign point, did i want a great all around car or something that would fly when i mashed the pedal. The all around car won
Old 07-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm w/soop on this one.

Altho I always kid abt European cars being unreliable, most of the european cars are very well built and just have nagging issues.

quite a few of the members here are delirious over the TSx and are blind to the fact that there are quite a few competent cars out there as well besides the TSX. The SaaB may be a quirky car, but it is very SOLID, the interior may not look as good as the TSx, but it has quite a few features (conveniences) that the TSx doesn't offer.

Also, if ur looking to mod the car, you would prob be better off w/the saab due to the turbo...Another thing, you must realize that people in sweden can't afford to buy cars all the time like us Americans, and thus need their cars to last a long time (over 6years), most of the time, its the Saabs and the volvos that these people own b/c they happen to last a very long time.

Adam is also rite IMO abt the notion people have of u if u were to pull up in a 9-3 vs a tsx...and the fact that the tsx is a bit overpriced...if the tsx w/navi stickered at $27.5K, than there would be quite a few more tsx owners on the road.

IMO, the tsx is the best built acura for under $35K...simply b/c its built in japan...when acura makes a v6 sport coupe or sedan thats 6spd and built in japan for under $35K, i will likely get one...however, if its not built in japn, than I won't even bother

All the cars my family and friends have owned that were made in Japan (i.e. Gs300, 1st gen TL, Acura Legend, Accord) were heads and shoulders better in terms of build quality than the foreign cars built in N. America (i.e. accord coupe, Odyssey, x5, Ml320 etc.)

My point is, be open-minded abt cars folks, also, where else on the internet will u find someone like adam whos open to constructive criticism and is not afraid to point out the good, bad, and ugly of all sides....def not at clubtsx.com
Old 07-31-2003, 01:29 PM
More On

Oooh boy -- Celebrity Death Match, Soop vs. Tinky.

I wanna be Michael Buffer.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by unsure
Also, if ur looking to mod the car, you would prob be better off w/the saab due to the turbo...
Modding a Saab???............Why I never heard such a thing

That's another good thing Saab has going for it. Its not a ricemobile like the TSX has the potential of becoming.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:36 PM
Racer

tinky v soop...this is gettin' REALLY good.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Go Tinky !!!!!!!!! Soopa said mean things about our TSX's

Old 07-31-2003, 01:46 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Originally posted by domn

That's another good thing Saab has going for it. Its not a ricemobile like the TSX has the potential of becoming.

yes, seriously, i'm afraid of that happening to the tsx...its starting to happen w/the cl and tl, and will only worsen w/the arrival of the new tl since that will result in the current tl and cl's resale value going down even more...i mean, i see quite a few is300s that are already riced out by my way. and alot of last gen e36s in the same state
Old 07-31-2003, 01:49 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

10 bux on soop

whos gonna promote this? Provench, perhaps? lol
Old 07-31-2003, 02:07 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by domn

theres plenty of modding available for the swedes...

its just all quality (read: expensive) shit so theres no ricing it up.

but they get a ton of incredible suspension and power bumping kits.

and having that turbo is always good reason for a chip :evil:
Old 07-31-2003, 02:14 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i see quite a few is300s that are already riced out by my way. and alot of last gen e36s in the same state
is300's are riced the day you drive them off the lot.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:18 PM
Racer

I dont know what everyones problem is lately but I hope this forum doesnt become filled with too much ignorant biases or insecurities.
Too late.

Yes!

quite a few of the members here are delirious over the TSx and are blind to the fact that there are quite a few competent cars out there as well besides the TSX. The SaaB may be a quirky car, but it is very SOLID, the interior may not look as good as the TSx, but it has quite a few features (conveniences) that the TSx doesn't offer.
Which has been my point the whole time. But some here (with definate insecurities) can't see that. Some have mentioned that I expect people to agree with me on why I choose a Saab over a TSX. But what I do have a problem with is when people make accusations or statement when they have no friggen idea what they are talking about. If they would bother to do their homework and not be a mindless lemming they would see that many of the perceptions that people may have formed just are not true or are not as bad as people make it out to seem.

To those of you that have conducted themselves with objectivity and grace on this board I commend you. To those of you who feel the need to defend your purchase when one of your own complements another car, hey so be it.

you should read back on A-CL the topics from when that motortrend article came out that had the CL-S ahead of the 328i and youll see these exact rowdy comments from yer fellow fawkin mag racers
Oh yes, I remember that! People lost their minds!

Oh btw Santacruz, I am still waiting for the comment which was pegged on me stating that I am buying a car for "prestige" purposes. If you are referring to the post that where soopa references to doctors, lawyers, etc and I added that technical people also have bought 9-3's then you need to stand corrected in your statement.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:18 PM
Racer

damn soopa, you're sounding more and more like Thurston Howell III with each post!

I mean really, the best reason for owning a Saab is to keep the riff-raff outa your neighborhood?
Old 07-31-2003, 02:21 PM
Audi Driving Snob

but they get a ton of incredible suspension and power bumping kits.

and having that turbo is always good reason for a chip :evil:
Do saabs have electronically controlled waste gates? I don't think those are that common still. That's the reason 1.8ts etc can gain so much. Although with any turbo motors i/h/e usually produce big gains.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:24 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by 93Kewl
Too late.

Yes!

Which has been my point the whole time. But some here (with definate insecurities) can't see that. Some have mentioned that I expect people to agree with me on why I choose a Saab over a TSX. But what I do have a problem with is when people make accusations or statement when they have no friggen idea what they are talking about. If they would bother to do their homework and not be a mindless lemming they would see that many of the perceptions that people may have formed just are not true or are not as bad as people make it out to seem.

To those of you that have conducted themselves with objectivity and grace on this board I commend you. To those of you who feel the need to defend your purchase when one of your own complements another car, hey so be it.

Oh yes, I remember that! People lost their minds!

Oh btw Santacruz, I am still waiting for the comment which was pegged on me stating that I am buying a car for "prestige" purposes. If you are referring to the post that where soopa references to doctors, lawyers, etc and I added that technical people also have bought 9-3's then you need to stand corrected in your statement.
the only thing i took exception to was the notion the tsx is "rip off" or infeior because it's a honda instead of another marquee with "prestige". I think the saab has a ton going for it. To be honest if i was looking at spending 30k plus I would be in something other than a tsx i'm sure. Anyone is free to have a negative opinion on the tsx, but don't expect people not to tell you their opinion or why they think you are wrong. You can't commend people for being gracious and level headed only because they share the same opinion as you.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:25 PM
7th Gear

I like the TSX, let me just get the out right now.

Dudes' response to my Reliability post was kind of sad.
Pretty much said "Honda's" (wait I thought we were talking Accura???) "are just more reliable, everyone knows that".
Please. My only point is SAABS ARE RELIABLE and I don't know where this mindset started that they aren't...

Since 1996 the Saab 9-3 has recieved very high marks for reliability.
SOURCE

As for not being able to "Rice" a Saab....I dunno...this wing really looks ricey to me.

Old 07-31-2003, 02:25 PM
Racer

I stand corrected...on that point. My Bad

However, you just agreed that another plus to owning the Saab is because some people can't modify it to their liking...umm IMO that's kind of snobby.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

If they would bother to do their homework and not be a mindless lemming they would see that many of the perceptions that people may have formed just are not true or are not as bad as people make it out to seem.
Are you saying that I'm a mindless lemming because of my perception that only Jerry Seinfeild types drive Saab's??

Well you're right

But I have to disagree about Soopa being "one of your own" if thats what you meant. He is now our most hated enemy, especially Tinky's

Let the Banning begin "Mr. Soopa"
Audi Driving Snob

ghetto fabulous!
More On

10 bux on soop

whos gonna promote this? Provench, perhaps? lol
Not a good bet. Realize, Tinky's gonna be getting a lot of help from outside the ring.

P.S. I have the feeling Prov's gonna stay out of this one!
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Originally posted by TinkySD
Do saabs have electronically controlled waste gates? I don't think those are that common still. That's the reason 1.8ts etc can gain so much. Although with any turbo motors i/h/e usually produce big gains.
i'm not 100% sure abt the electronically controlled waste gate, however, u can't put headers on a turbo, altho u can always swap out the turbo manifold for a better one
Old 07-31-2003, 02:31 PM
Racer

However, you just agreed that another plus to owning the Saab is because some people can't modify it to their liking...umm IMO that's kind of snobby
Ok Santa, I got ya. Maybe what I should have said is that "mod to the point where the car becomes ghetto looking" - which with the exception pointed to just above, seem to happen more to the Japanese cars.

For what it's worth, the overall look of the TSX is classy. Add a spoiler and the factory ground kit and it's even nicer. When guys mod their cars (overly), it cheapen the car and the respect value people have for it.

For example, although not a mod, it sickens me when I see an expensive car like a benz with fuzzy dice inside! Don't laugh, I have seen it and it just turns my stomach!

Are you saying that I'm a mindless lemming because of my perception that only Jerry Seinfeild types drive Saab's??
LOL!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:32 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I've been chatting with soopa all morning on IM... he said "you are right and I am wrong"(paraphrase) hahaha ok. So he didnt' say that... it's all good though. I'm fine with people having different opinions than me. But if they want to share theirs they can hear mine too.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Audi Driving Snob

i'm not 100% sure abt the electronically controlled waste gate, however, u can't put headers on a turbo, altho u can always swap out the turbo manifold for a better one
yeah not headers, but downpipes usually make some good gains! with chips on the 1.8ts they area ctually upping the boost level which is why the tremendous gains.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:33 PM
More On

Originally posted by CleveSaab
.....Since 1996 the Saab 9-3 has recieved very high marks for reliability.
SOURCE.....
Hi, thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll keep coming by.

But I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this, in terms of the major surveys. Check out Consumer Reports from recent years.

(I, being me, would enthusiastically post all the data right here, except my old CR's are elsewhere. Pretty lame, huh?)
Old 07-31-2003, 02:37 PM
Audi Driving Snob

we were talking about this in a post in off topic. It's good to have people with different opinions...even the dreaded gilbo. keeps discussion lively. Hope you guys stay on the boards and contribute.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:38 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

tinky,

tru statement abt the downpipe. IMO, If I could see 260-300whp out of that lil saab engine, i'd be amazed and prob consider getting one...I mean, imagine the look on people's faces after u whopped them in a saab lol, non-viggen nonetheless lol
Old 07-31-2003, 02:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by CleveSaab
I like the TSX, let me just get the out right now.

Dudes' response to my Reliability post was kind of sad.
Pretty much said "Honda's" (wait I thought we were talking Accura???) "are just more reliable, everyone knows that".
Please. My only point is SAABS ARE RELIABLE and I don't know where this mindset started that they aren't...
OK, I've tried to be a gentleman about this Saab vs TSX nonsense but when someone calls my post sad, that's where I draw the line. You say "Honda's (I thought we were talking Acura??)" I hope you are aware that Acura IS Honda and that the TSX is nothing but a glorified European Honda Accord so expalin to me why saying "Honda" is incorrect.

Do youeself a favour and go back over every post I've written in this thread or any other thread for that matter, WHERE DO I SAY SAAB'S are'nt relaible??????? Show me please..... I said the TSX is PROJECTED to be more reliable because of HONDA the TSX's parent compaany has proven reliability records. Reliability records that are BETTTER than SAAB's. Them the facts live with it....I don''t care if HONDA is only 5 percentage points ahead of Saab in reliability, there still ahead. So again explain to me how my post is Sad???
Old 07-31-2003, 02:41 PM
More On

Dom, he might have been talking about me or one of the other immature TSX'ers.

BTW Honda is more than 5 percentage points ahead.

It's all OK by me -- just don't be looking for us to say stuff that nobody should expect we'd have any reason to think of saying.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:45 PM
Audi Driving Snob

tinky,

tru statement abt the downpipe. IMO, If I could see 260-300whp out of that lil saab engine, i'd be amazed and prob consider getting one...I mean, imagine the look on people's faces after u whopped them in a saab lol, non-viggen nonetheless lol
No doubt it can happen. I mean there is a 6k N/A kit for the rsxs that puts down 300whp. I think the turbo kits put down the same(for less) so I'm sure it can happen
Old 07-31-2003, 02:47 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by larchmont
Dom, he might have been talking about me or one of the other immature TSX'ers.

BTW Honda is more than 5 percentage points ahead.

It's all OK by me -- just don't be looking for us to say stuff that nobody should expect we'd have any reason to think of saying.
No he quoted me directly. I also asked him in that post to come up with reports that show how Saab is rated higher than Honda in relibaility studies. The funny thing is, Acura is even further ahead of Saab then Honda is, so his "I thought we were talking Acura crap" is just stupid.

Larch can you please explain that last sentence, I don't get it. Your having some trouble typing today I think
Old 07-31-2003, 02:47 PM
Banned

9-3 are not that popular. Sales might be up compared to previous gen.

It is a disappointing car. Cheap interior. Anonym exterior. Bof.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:48 PM
Racer

BTW Honda is more than 5 percentage points ahead
Maybe we should all pack up and go home. Lexus is ahead of both Acura and Saab. Should we all buy IS300's? Oh jeez, maybe beingis300's ears are ringing!

Wasn't Buick just rated very highly? Ugh!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:49 PM
Audi Driving Snob

can't we all just get along?
Old 07-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TinkySD
can't we all just get along?

don't get soft on us now tinky. get back in there and give 'em HELL. AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Audi Driving Snob

as you can see i've already defeated soopa...he's sulked away in shame.(actually probably doing some real work or something) Arguing is fun as long as people stick more or less to facts. I tend to worry that some people do get really upset about this stuff though.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

2003 JD Power Ranking 3 year Study

Well here's the link to the 2003 JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study. The study cover 3 year old cars and surveys 55,000 people.

Acura - 5th place 196 problems per 100 Vehicles
Honda - 9th place 218 problems per 100 Vehicles
Saab - 12th place 255 problems per 100 Vehicles

Now this is only one study and does'nt cover the TSX or new 9-3. But the fact of the matter is Honda and Acura have been known and study's have shown that they are more reliable than Saab.
Like I said before, the new 9-3 could be proven to be more reliable than the TSX but going by each companies track record its unlikely. Good luck finding a study that shows Saab being more reliable.

And 93Kewl is right, reliability is'nt everything, or we'd all be driving Toyota's or a Lexus.

And Tinky, I get upset when I present facts and someone calls my post "Sad"
Old 07-31-2003, 03:02 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Yeah domn that's cool, I wasn't trying to point anyone out -- I am one to always defend myself too. If we all keep it all as factual as possible then it's a no lose situation. It starts getting tricky when we have to compare all these different sources done with different tests....starts becoming like "mag racing" but with reliability instead...haha.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I've always been of the belief that mag racing and reliability studies do actually mean alot as long as you consider more than 3 or 4 sperate tests or studies.

If 5 different car magazines test the TSX in the 1/4 mile at 15.3 to 15.7 how can someone come along and say its a 14.5 sec or 16.5 sec 1/4 car?? The law of averages always wins. If Honda has been ahead of Saab in JD survey and CR reports for the last 6 years does'nt that tell us something?? Are we to just throw all this information out and relay on what your next door neighbour or co-worker is telling you.

Because my Brother in-law has had many problem free years driving a Neon am I to belive a Neon is a reliable car?? Its one person, just like Soopa sister driving a Saab is one person and Larch complaining about his Bimmer problems is one person, it means shit. The law of averages speaks volumes to me. Its no secret that Honda reliability has been dropping for the last few years and studies show this to be the case. Lets look at the big picture.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:22 PM
Racer

Domn,

Be careful about all these "so-called" studies. Apparently, (as with the JD powers stuff), owners are sent survey's regarding issues in quality. Sometimes I have heard that people can mistake something like a "rattle" as a problem and report it as such. Somethings just can't be helped. Granted, if you have a bunch of reports stating brake failure or engine stalling, etc. that's something to worry about.

But I guess it's interesting, as you say that Honda has been slipping in the last couple of years while Saab has been improving. It's all good however, just as long the the company you buy from remains above the industry average you still come out ok.

Quick Reply: Saab 9-3 is EXTREMELY popular...