Rough throttle tip in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:15 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rough throttle tip in?

I was wondering if any other owners had noticed it, or if it may be a problem with my car in particular.

The problem occurs when the throttle is first applied after engine braking, most noticable under 3k rpm or so. After applying the throttle, the car jerks pretty hard.

Under alot of driving conditions, this does not bother me too much. But when I am at an apex of a turn, slowly applying the throttle results in a jerk large enough to upset the car a bit. It's not like I'm losing control of the car, but it is a little unerving if you're a little close to the limit.

I'd like to think that I have very good/delicate pedal control with my feet. My recently traded 2000 GSR required a delicate foot to establish a smooth transition from off to on throttle and back, but I was very capable.

I can't seem to get rid of the jerk, no matter how smooth/slow I engage the throttle.

I thought that the Drive By Wire was supposed to be an improvement in this area. In order for this jerk to be apparent, the DBW must first finish it's 'throttle smoothing' after you let off the pedal (I beleive it's what I have seen here also referred to as the 'mysterious throttle blip'). If throttle is reapplied before it finishes it's 'blip', engagement is smooth. If you wait until the 'blip' is finished (100% engine braking begins), engagement results in a jerk.

I know some people reccomend against (due to lack of smoothness) downshifting deep into a bend at speed, but it seems like I can rev-match/heel-toe smoother than I can engage the throttle. This helps, but I do not need to downshift on every bend.

Any input will help, I am going in for some other service soon and was wondering if anyone had noticed anything similar.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:49 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I should have searched some more. I believe this thread discusses it as a common ocurrence:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...w&pagenumber=1