Ridiculous business strategy from Acura in Markham

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ridiculous business strategy from Acura in Markham

Please spend a few minutes to read the following, it was happened to my friend. Ffeel sorry for him.

Quote:
Original post by Monki from the ClubRSX forum

As it is getting closer to my bday, qualifying for a lower insurance rate, I am all set to get a RSX. I visit the Markham Dealership today, a young Indian guy was trying to sell me the car. We went for a test drive and it went ok.

Then we sat down and start talking about the price. I was planning to lease a car, although I know the invoice price (from this forum), yet I didnt know how to calculate the exact monthly payment. So I asked for $300 above invoice, which worked out to be $405 a month at 3.8%ALR tax included. The salesman said they can't give me a quote unless I give him my credit card, to prove to his manager I am serious enough. I felt something fishy, but he insisted me giving him my credit card otherwise he is not giving me the quote. So I did.

Guess what? He came back, and said he can offer me at the price, the trick was, he charged me $1000 deposit!!! OMG. I couldnt believe he can do this. Now I was struggling because I was thinking I may throw in differnt accessories and trade him my old car for down payment. Then he started yelling at me and said I can't eat my words and all that, because I made him an offer, and I have to sign the deposit at $1000!!!

I felt I need more time to decide, then he started to to give me shits and said I am wasting his time, making him losing a few businesses. He went on and said I am wrong to critizie him charging me deposit, and continue to push me a deal - and he just kept being impolite and yelled at me. I understand that they have a lot of inventory left in the lot (2003 is still avaliable at a discount!), but I couldnt believe they can do this to force the issue.

I refused to sign, asked for refund and left. It wasnt easy, as he was still giving me the attitude during the refund. Man I am sooooo pissed off, I am not visiting this dealership again.
/Quote

Anyway, has anyone else gone through this same dilemma?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Instructor

OMG! WTF??
Tell your friend to cancel the credit card and get a new one just in case!
Old 07-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Well, it sounds like a bad experience, so I too would walk away. I used to work in a dealership whereby we would use the credit cards but would *NEVER* charge them unless there was a done deal and the customer wanted to put a deposit on there. Basically, we would say, "Okay, Mr. Smith, if you are really serious about buying this car, you need to give me something in the form of a deposit to show my sales manager that you're ready to do business."

We'd take the credit card and off the process of negotiations would start. I never once had an issue with a customer doing this. It was basically a tool used to determine whether or not someone was *really* serious about doing business. At this point, if someone says "no", it's almost always because they're not really serious about buying a car.

In your case, you were right to walk out. I would have too.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Please don't double post. Let's use the one in Canada East: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11702