RGB LED Illuminated Door Sills (V2) - Every colour, Dynamic patterns

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
RGB LED Illuminated Door Sills (V2) - Every colour, Dynamic patterns

Previously I've tried to determine which colour this community thought would be the most popular to use in an illuminated door sill application. Blue and white seemed to be the most popular. Then I got around to thinking:
Why not make ALL colours available and let you choose your colour, when you want it! (YES, these will be for sale/trade!)

These door sills have been hand machined, soldered, and wired by me. The amount of work put in to making these is ridiculous really. Nice touches like using computer components to create my own plugs for easy connect/disconnect during installation.

What makes these significantly greater (p > .001) than the original set that I made (Blue LED) is the RGB LEDs that I installed. This set up includes an RGB Controller unit and an RF remote.
RGB Controller Unit:
  • 22 Static Colours (Red, Blue, Green, Purple, Pink, Yellow, White, Etc..).
  • 3 Custom Colour Memory Buttons (Create any colour using incremental RGB hue adjustments).
  • Autosave Function at Power Off (Remembers colour/mode)
  • 23 Dynamic Colour Modes (Inter-colour fading, Inter-colour flashing, strobing, pulsing etc).
  • 5 Brightness Settings.
  • 5 Speed settings (for dynamic modes).

RF Remote
  • Superior to the IR remotes (line of sight) because it can penetrate obstructions.
  • Rated at 20 metres.

The difficulty in creating this setup is that instead of wiring and soldering 2 contacts in a vey small space, you are now soldering 4 contacts next to each other in a very small space. If the solder between two contacts touch, you lose their circuits! The need for delicacy and precision make this project very patience intensive. Especially when you have to resolder contacts after installing the LEDs into tight spaces. It can certainly get frustrating.
I've also including some foresight for draining moisture that may inadvertently get between the sill plate and mold. The LEDs themselves are waterproofed, and the contacts sealed with an application of silicon.
The LEDs are mounted one a sheet of shatter-resistant plastic and reflective tape. I added the reflective tape because I noticed that the outside tips of the A's in "ACURA" weren't getting as much illumination as the rest. Helped marginally.
In the end, I wanted to set this up so that it was as much plug and play as possible, though it will require wire routing under trim, and simple splicing using simple splice connectors in two areas. They will be powered by a fused line, to prevent them from being damaged or draining the battery with the car off.

The way I have them set up is for them to come on with the courtesy lights, so when you open the door, they will light up. Then, flyer 30 seconds, they will power off in case you leave your door open.

Yes, yes, lots of amazing work and features, you want pics & Video:
Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Advanced

Some of the main colours:
RGB Updates:
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Some of the dynamic modes:

Various colour strobe:

Various colour flash

Single colour pulse RED (also adjusting speed)

Single colour strobe PURPLE

Brightness adjustment (camera does adjust to brightness though)

More installed pictures to follow! I've installed them and I am testing them now!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Daytime shot of my LED sills in Purple:
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Looks great! BTW, any chance you guys have 2004-2008 TSX LED Tail lights in the works at all? I ask cause that kind of custom work sounds like it would be up your alley.

Last edited by xenonhid; 09-03-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Looks great! BTW, any chance you guys have 2004-2008 TSX LED Tail lights in the works at all? I ask cause that kind of custom work sounds like it would be up your alley.
You would be correct! I already modified my own set of completely redesigned TSX LED tail lights. I'll make a new thread for them once I get better video for them. In the meantine, here is a link to info on them:
TSX LED tail lights
However, they are not for sale right now, because I like them too much to give them up

Also, to make it clear, I'm not "producing" these mods. I just modified my own single set, and now have the modded sills up for sale/trade so I can snag myself a navi-swap, or KPro.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
Are these just the front sills and not the rear? Very nice work BTW. I think I'll fix my dash lights before I do the sills, but you deff have me wanting them!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Advanced

All 4 sills included!

Originally Posted by Timmy18
Are these just the front sills and not the rear? Very nice work BTW. I think I'll fix my dash lights before I do the sills, but you deff have me wanting them!
Thx Tim! These are for all 4 sills! I couldn't let myself go halfway with it!