Replacing front Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing front Wheel Bearings

Hi All,

I started noticing a groaning noise once i go past 50 mph for the past couple of days. the noise is coming from front right side.

i took it to a local shop and the mechanic told me i need to replace the wheel bearings. He also suggested i should replace both.

Shall i replace both or just the right one. My car has close to 165K miles on it. I am thinking to replace both as i don't want to get into a situation where i need to replace the left one after putting on few more miles.

My mechanic quoted me 300 for the labor.

Any thoughts and suggestions. Do i need to replace any other things while they are doing this.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is he giving you a package deal? Otherwise, if you can afford the down time, have them done seperately when each one actually starts to go. I'd go OEM on the bearings ($80 each). If you just can't swing that much, then consider Timken ($40 each on Rockauto).

$300 for labor for both wheel bearings seems like a fair price.

Your lower ball joints might be ready to be replaced. Removal of the front knuckle as required for the wheel bearing makes the lower ball joint replacement easy. Based on your mileage and the stress of removal (seperating the knuckle from the lower control arm sometimes pushes the ball joints over the edge) this may be a good time to replace the ball joint(s).

Last edited by gideon's_test; 08-02-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs.

I have replaced the lower control arms (as bushings were torn) an year back.

Will check with the mechanic.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Instructor

Also where did you get the OEM bearings for 80 bucks ?? Is it online or at local dealer. Could you please let me know.

Originally Posted by gideon's_test
Is he giving you a package deal? Otherwise, if you can afford the down time, have them done seperately when each one actually starts to go. I'd go OEM on the bearings ($80 each). If you just can't swing that much, then consider Timken ($40 each on Rockauto).

$300 for labor for both wheel bearings seems like a fair price.

Your lower ball joints might be ready to be replaced. Removal of the front knuckle as required for the wheel bearing makes the lower ball joint replacement easy. Based on your mileage and the stress of removal (seperating the knuckle from the lower control arm sometimes pushes the ball joints over the edge) this may be a good time to replace the ball joint(s).
Old 08-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
You should always replace in pairs (and that goes for pretty much everything, from light bulbs, to wiper blades, to mechanical parts). You wouldn't just buy one new shoe, right?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Instructor

I misspoke, the OEM bearing is slightly more than $80 ($88 online here).
Also, just wanted to mention that the lower ball joint is attached to the knuckle, so replacement of the lower control arm doesn't infer that the ball joint was replaced (was not certain if that was what you were suggesting).
Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Hi,

Also my mechanic told me while replacing the bearings some times they may not be able to save ABS Sensors. Do i need to replace them as well ?

He told me it's a 50/50 some times they can retain them without any problems and some times not !!..

Just wanted to know whether any one able to retain them with out any issues...

Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Generally speaking (for most cars) the wheel speed sensor is integrated into the wheel bearing hub assembly. That's not the case with the TSX. The sensor is inserted into the knuckle and the speed ring is actually a part of the CV joint. I looked at the factory service manual and see no mention of any need to remove the wheels speed (ABS) sensor. I think your mechanic is not aware of the somewhat different nature of the Honda (TSX) wheel bearing and wheel speed sensor configuration. He's in for a surprise if so (the Honda wheel bearing takes more work to replace than the normal configuration).