Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter

Does anyone have the acura remote start system? or have a picture? I was curious if it would be a better deal to just buy a separate system?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Acura doesn't have a factory remote start?

It's probably an aftermarket system installed by your dealer.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:59 AM
Burning Brakes

search pwns u.... Acura uses DEI's remote start system.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Canuck

Originally Posted by aznt1217
search pwns u.... Acura uses DEI's remote start system.
Reference?

Most likely the dealer sends the car out to a local audio shop to get it installed.

I do believe remote starter is an option on the CSX though.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,575 Posts
Originally Posted by narci
Reference?

Most likely the dealer sends the car out to a local audio shop to get it installed.

I do believe remote starter is an option on the CSX though.
that is exactly what they do so personally I wouldnt pay to have the dealer do it. I mean they are gonna charge you on top of what the local audio place charges you thats just the way it works. It would be much cheaper if you got it done at an audio shop.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Cruisin'

Im not really worried about the cost cause it was part of the deal for buynig the car. So they threw it in for an extra $100 including installation. I was just curious abuot how good the quality of the starter is.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Cruisin'

Does anyone know the specific make and model that sussman acura uses.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Canuck

Why not just ask the dealership from which you bought it at?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Why not just ask the dealership from which you bought it at?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Canuck

Just to clarify the remote starter, for the TSX there's usually 3 modules.

the actual remote starter/alarm brain
a bypass module to handle it immobilizer
another bypass module to handle the security chip in the key

example:

My remote starter is made my Autostart
I use a Honda SL module for the security key and a bypass module (from bypasskit) for the immobilizer (or was it the other way around)

So in essense I have 3 different components from 3 different companies.

You might want to ask about the different components in your starter and who makes them.

And about Acura having a OEM remote starter, I asked my dealership before and they said they don't do it. I went visiting after I got mine done, demo'd it to the sale person and they wanted to know where I got it done because it was a flawless intergration witht he OEM alarm/locs/etc... and said they might use the same company to do other requests.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Well Paragon Acura in NY, uses DEI Valet autostart systems. That's my "reference" Acura doesn't make OEM starters, what they did for me was they included the Autostart with LoJack as a package. Just ask them what they use.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:42 PM

Just to clarify the remote starter, for the TSX there's usually 3 modules.

the actual remote starter/alarm brain
a bypass module to handle it immobilizer
another bypass module to handle the security chip in the key

example:

My remote starter is made my Autostart
I use a Honda SL module for the security key and a bypass module (from bypasskit) for the immobilizer (or was it the other way around)

So in essense I have 3 different components from 3 different companies.

You might want to ask about the different components in your starter and who makes them.

And about Acura having a OEM remote starter, I asked my dealership before and they said they don't do it. I went visiting after I got mine done, demo'd it to the sale person and they wanted to know where I got it done because it was a flawless intergration witht he OEM alarm/locs/etc... and said they might use the same company to do other requests.

however I bet that they are all made by DEI
Old 03-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
however I bet that they are all made by DEI
Not sure, Autostart is a Canadian Company based out of quebec. Seems like they manufacture thier own Units. (Click on About us on the left)
http://www.autostart.ca/HTML_Frame.htm

Bypasskits is Canadian as well Based out of Ottawa and looks liek they distribute thier own stuff:
http://www.bypasskit.com/aboutus.aspx

Honda-SL i'm not sure if they make thier own, they are based out of Quebec too:
http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.co...bypasskitid=41

I think DEI does make thier own modules too as well as remote starters/alarms.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

actually...i called the dealership like u guys said...and apparently the job was done by some outside company...and its the remote starter is made by audiovox...and...apparently its a model that has been discontinued or something
Old 03-30-2006, 07:46 PM
TSX Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andy7533
actually...i called the dealership like u guys said...and apparently the job was done by some outside company...and its the remote starter is made by audiovox...and...apparently its a model that has been discontinued or something
My friend has the audiovox unit. Works pretty well.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 PM

that kinda sucks that they had a discontinued mondel installed on your car.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:02 PM
TSX4EVR

I have the nu-start remote starter which is a redressed compustar. It works very well and does not require the valet key.

I got it thru the dealer but I knew the shop that they used, visited the shop and talked to them before deciding to get it and I knew what the price was. I actually got lucky because I paid the price for a one way remote starter and got a two way starter.

The remote starters are great, but one word of caution is that you lose some of your key fob functionality.

Excited
Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Cruisin'

whats the difference between a 2 way starter and a 1 way
Old 03-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Cruisin'

These are the features of the starter:

* Remote start your vehicle using your original equipment transmitter or your alarm transmitter
* System will not compromise the primary function of your transmitter, whether it be security, keyless entry or both
* Remote Start Safety Control Switch
* Selectable Automatic Timed Start Mode (2 Or 4 Hours Selectable intervals)
* On-Board Start Relay
* On-Board Accessory Relay
* On-Board Ignition 1 Relay
* On-Board Ignition 2 Relay
* Ignition 2 Relay Selectable On or Off During Cranking
* On-Board Parking Light Relay
* Ignition 3 / Shock By-Pass / GM VAT Output (relay required)
* Tach Signal Learning Circuitry
* Two ( + ) and Two ( - ) Safety Shutdown Circuits
* Alarm By-Pass Outputs
* Selectable Steady or Flashing Parking Lights for Run Indication
* Selectable 10 or 15 Minute Run Time
* Factory Keyless Upgrade Inputs (Allows Starting From Factory Keyless Entry Unit)
* 4 Auxiliary Outputs To Allow Control Of A Factory Alarm
* Safety control switches
* Vehicle remains secure during remote start
* Can be used with gasoline or diesel engines
* Vehicle must be equipped with an automatic transmission and a fuel injected engine

Is it any good?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Canuck

whats the difference between a 2 way starter and a 1 way
hmm..how do i explain this.

Ok.

One way is if you press the remote to start the car, you will not get a confirmation beep back to say the car has started.

Two way, you will get a confirmation beep back if the car is started. Two ways usually used in conjunction with those fabcy LCD remotes though I don't have a fancy LCD remote because thery break easily and it's $$$ to replace.

This is the model I have. I have been on the 11th floor of a condo and in an elevator and successfully started my car parked in the outside parking lot.

AS-2300 TW
PREMIUM CONVENIENCE SERIES

2-way automatic transmission remote starter.
FM system.
HDX technology.
Up to 2500 feet of range.
5 button 2-way transmitter.
Easy to use shift key operation.
Visual command confirmation via buttons illumination.
Audible confirmation via Piezo speaker.
System status request mode with engine runtime.
Keyless entry, engine disable, trunk release, horn panic.
Antenna with embedded ultra bright Blue LED.
Two configurable auxilary outputs.
Turbo timer mode.
Communication port for optional 5 channel and dome light supervision expansion module.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 PM
TSX4EVR

They gave me two remote fobs. One a fancy LCD fob and the other just your ordinary looking fob. I just use the ordinary looking fob. I have trouble reading the LCD fob without my reading glasses (which is why I had just ordered the one way)

Excited
Old 04-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Instructor

If you have the Acura dealer install the remote starter (at the time of purchase), then would it be covered under the same new car warranty (4yrs/50k miles)? If so, that would be a big advantage over an aftermarket one.

Would a dealer installed one still possibly have some loss of functionality? I know I had an aftermarker one in my 02 Toyota Solara, and it somehow couldn't interface properly to have the remote trunk opener work anymore.

Lastly, would different dealerships install different model remote starters? That might be a factor in deciding which dealership I end up getting it from.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2006, 03:02 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by jwhite4
If you have the Acura dealer install the remote starter (at the time of purchase), then would it be covered under the same new car warranty (4yrs/50k miles)? If so, that would be a big advantage over an aftermarket one.

Would a dealer installed one still possibly have some loss of functionality? I know I had an aftermarker one in my 02 Toyota Solara, and it somehow couldn't interface properly to have the remote trunk opener work anymore.

Lastly, would different dealerships install different model remote starters? That might be a factor in deciding which dealership I end up getting it from.

Thanks.

Jeff
I could be corrected but I don't believe that Acura makes as starter for the TSX and the dealer installed ones are ones that they get another installer put it in. Mine is just cover by the warranty of the product and the dealer that installed it.

Mine is a high quality starter install by a top notch company but it cancels out some of the features of the original key fob. The OEM fob does all the standard things like open and close the doors and opens the trunk but it does not allow for all of the mid changes unless you synch it up to the car again.

I would imagine that different dealers would use different starters. I think whatever the main starter is that their partner uses is the starter that they would go with.

Excited
Old 04-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by aznt1217
Well Paragon Acura in NY, uses DEI Valet autostart systems. That's my "reference" Acura doesn't make OEM starters, what they did for me was they included the Autostart with LoJack as a package. Just ask them what they use.
quick question...what's a LoJack?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff The Pianist
quick question...what's a LoJack?

A vehicle recovery signal. It's a transponder that is mounted somewhere in your car. When you report your car stolen to LoJack, they send out a signal to your car to basically start broadcasting. I think affliliated police departments have a locator device which they are able to use to track down your car (based on distance and direction).

Jeff
Old 04-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jwhite4
A vehicle recovery signal. It's a transponder that is mounted somewhere in your car. When you report your car stolen to LoJack, they send out a signal to your car to basically start broadcasting. I think affliliated police departments have a locator device which they are able to use to track down your car (based on distance and direction).

Jeff
Thank you!
Old 06-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

warranty

Does installing a starter affect the manufacturers (Acura) or extended warranty?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by qweezyq
Does installing a starter affect the manufacturers (Acura) or extended warranty?
A warranty warrants the car in it's stock form. Adding components/modifications will not immediately void (parts of) your warranty, but it can be used by the dealership to claim that the problem was due to it. So if you installed a remote starter, and you had electrical problems, they might say that you mis-wired the alarm's wires momentarily, causing an electrical shock to go through the system. If your starter goes bad, they might say your remote starter turns over a bit too long.

If you were to have another problem...like a suspension problem, then they can't blame it on the remote starter.

But in either case, the dealer still has to prove it.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=...But in either case, the dealer still has to prove it.[/QUOTE]

Since it's the dealer who's potentially spending their money (for the repair), they might take the attitude that unless they can be totally sure the remote starter isn't the source of the problem, they'll decide not to cover the repair.

A remote starter is in a sense particularly nasty, it connects to the electrical system, starting system, lights, brake lights/pedal, etc, that there is just so much opportunity to have problems with a bad installation or faulty unit.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Drifting

excited - what other features do you lose from the OEM fob that you noticed, when installing an aftermarket remote start or alarm?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cibs
excited - what other features do you lose from the OEM fob that you noticed, when installing an aftermarket remote start or alarm?
Everything. Once the car is remotely started, it basically disables the wireless remote. It's really a pain when wanting to access the passenger door first. Since you can't open it with a key (no lock!), you need to:

- unlock both doors before you start the car, then start the car
- start the car with the doors locked. When you get to the car, remote stop the car, then unlock the doors.
- don't initially access from passenger side, open car from driver's side, where you can use the key.

This remote-disable behavior was the same on my last car (02 Solara), so it could be common. At least on that car, the remote start I had installed had it's own controls for door lock/unlock and trunk unlock, which were separate from the factory remote, and thus still operated. Unfortunately the remote starter I had installed on my TSX is remote start only, no separate unlock capabilities.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Drifting

so maybe it'd be better to get a remote alarm/starter combo? that way i can keep all the lock/unlock features... etc? due to the alarm having those options...
Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Instructor

I would definitely look into a combo unit. The only reason I didn't do that is I got my remote starter installed by the dealer at purchase time, so supposedly any issues with it are covered by the 4yr/50k warranty. The unit they support (and installed) is a starter-only one.

When I had the remote combo unit with my Solara, there was an issue where the remote trunk function didn't work. Supposedly there was a separate module that was needed to work it which wasn't available when I got my remote installed. I never bothered looking into it later, being able to still lock/unlock the doors was good enough. One bonus of a combo unit with this is that it likely will also provide automatic locking/unlocking of the doors either when you go into/out of park. (At least some people would like that capability).

Jeff