Is rear-wheel drive in the future?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 03:12 AM
pending

Is rear-wheel drive in the future?

I think an interesting question is if, when, and how would Acura change the lower-line cars to rear-wheel drive?

I find these progressive developments fascinating. First there's the denial, then there's the push forward, then the resistance from the "purists" or "conservatives," and finally the widespread acceptance.

Wholesale name changes and drops have happened since the CRX. In the 80's, Honda said a 6 for the Accord is not necesssary. More recently, the first Civics came out that did not have double wishbones front and rear (does anyone buy Honda's reason that struts would increase interior room?). If these last two things happened, then going to rear-wheel drive can happen.

Some issues would be how to synchronize the Honda and Acura lines. Obviously, the TSX can't be rear-wheel drive unless the Accord is also. Or can it? If the Accord becomes rear-wheel drive, then what happens to the Civic? In my opinion, having a rear-wheel drive Accord and a front-wheel drive Civic would not be unacceptable. And then what happens to the TL? If the TSX and Accord become rear-wheel, that pretty much assumes the TL is also. Turning the coin over, couldn't the TL be rear-wheel while keeping the TSX front-wheel, thus differentiating the TL and TSX further, which would be desirable? Finally, how about the RSX?
Old 02-16-2004, 04:37 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
History does not point in that direction. Honda/Acura will stay in the VW/Audi like niche it finds itself now. Other than perhaps the new RL, the Acura line will follow the Honda line with FWD layouts for the mainstream sedans. There's no indication Acura will follow Lexus, Infiniti in distancing itself from the main stream sedans they evlove from. While I'd love it, RWD on any Accord is just too expensive and makes no sense for Honda.
The change away from double wishbone on the Civic was pure economics. It's cheaper and easier to make.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:50 AM
pending

That's what I felt about the struts up front on the Civic also.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think? Honda/Acura don't believe in RWD, let alone AWD cars at all. I mean they should offer AWD at least eventually if they want to beat Lexus and still be beating Infiniti.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:05 AM
pending

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
What do you think? Honda/Acura don't believe in RWD, let alone AWD cars at all. I mean they should offer AWD at least eventually if they want to beat Lexus and still be beating Infiniti.
I'm thinking this also. Honda eventually budged on a 6 for the Accord when the competition forced it to. With the present unexpected competition from Infiniti (in addition to Lexus), Acura might eventually yield to rear-wheel and all-wheel. I mean, radical change is not unprecedented for Honda.