Rear Sway Bar and Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Sway Bar and Gas Mileage

Ok So installed a Progress RSB and i am sure this is a stupid question, but does it affect gas mileage in a negative way? I don't see how it possibly could but ever since i installed it i seem to be getting 20 to 40 miles less per tank?

My driving has not changed and i am just wondering what the deal is. Could it be the RSB or is there other factors involved such as the gasoline mixtures for summer or something?

Thanks,
Old 09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Did you happen to get it installed the same time you got new tires or a suspension alignment? I can't think of any way a RSB would have an affect on gas mileage but something like a four wheel alignment where they adjusted the toe/camber of the back tires or new tires themselves definitely could.

I would also say double check your tire inflations to make sure that doesn't have something to do with it.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Had the wheels and suspension installed about 2 months before the bar. I installed the bar my self and didn't mess with anything else. I thought about the tire pressure so i filled them up good, still same thing. Maybe something did change in my driving and i will have to watch the miles after the next fill up.

It's so hard to tell with traffic here in socal, but i do know before the RSB - 300+miles a tank, after the RSB - 280 to 290 miles a tank, been about 3 tanks so far. weird.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
have you modified anything else but suspension? Like any kind of intake and exhaust upgrades? Our ECU's "learn" and when you put on exhaust bolt ons (I/H/E) it will adjust for more fuel to be added to the mixture from my understanding. Also, if you are lower maybe you are experiencing some drag which can also adversely affect your gas mileage. Also, do you have any kind of lip kit or body kit on it? Sometimes those also produce a bit of drag that can affect your gas mileage.

The RSB shouldn't do anything that affects your mpg, I have the CT RSB and I didn' t have any drop in mileage, I experienced a drop with intake, header, RT cat, and exhaust but it wasn't the same kind of drop you are experiencing.

Maybe also, excessive heat. The best test would be to fill up your tank and it an area with little traffic and just drive normal and see if you get the same mileage you use to??? There are alot of things that can affect mpg!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Instructor

My bet is that you are driving harder to make sure you use the benefits of the bar. I put bigger bars on my Corvette and keep trying to find out how much faster I can turning corners. Goodyear loves me.....

I never had a fun FWD car before, so can you tell what the rear bar does on these cars? I was at Realtime's race shop a while back and they said that the "the rear tires are just along for the ride". I am sure the rear bar makes a difference, I am just trying to understand.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The 22mm Progress or Comptech rear swaybar reduces the understeer on the TSX by a good amount. I'm guessing the OP is now powering through corners instead of slowing down = more fuel consumption?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso
The 22mm Progress or Comptech rear swaybar reduces the understeer on the TSX by a good amount. I'm guessing the OP is now powering through corners instead of slowing down = more fuel consumption?
Thanks! I just looked up the Progress bar and they don't show anything newer than 05....
Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. I was probably just driving it harder the first few weeks i had the bar on. I am at 1/2 tank right now and have got 160 miles out of it, so if the other half goes good, should be back up to around the 300+ mile mark for the tank.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by timd38
Thanks! I just looked up the Progress bar and they don't show anything newer than 05....
It's the same for 04 and up.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My bet is that you are driving harder to make sure you use the benefits of the bar. I put bigger bars on my Corvette and keep trying to find out how much faster I can turning corners. Goodyear loves me.....

I never had a fun FWD car before, so can you tell what the rear bar does on these cars? I was at Realtime's race shop a while back and they said that the "the rear tires are just along for the ride". I am sure the rear bar makes a difference, I am just trying to understand.
just put my comptech RSB in like 2 days ago and now im constantly testing how fast i can hit the corners (when safe of course). lovin every turn since i got the rsb!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Burning Brakes

If you can go faster through corners, shouldn't you be saving gas? ;-) (Mostly kidding...)

If you want a more modest RSB size, Neuspeed makes one that also is an improvement, without being as drastic of a change. In past messages, people indicated that with an RSB, you can take turns faster. It makes the steering more neutral, although, the danger is making it oversteer. I decided to go with the more milder change.

I think once I upgrade the tires, it'll also make a huge difference. (The local tire shop owner said that he'd recommend putting the stock tires back on -- clearly, he does not understand. :-) )
Old 09-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Audi Driving Snob

RSBs on a FWD car make, arguably, more of a difference than on RWD since you can't modulate throttle to adjust rotation! The only way to adjust the balance is to modify suspension/tire inflations and the RSB does a fantastic job of this in the tsx.

I've liked the RSB on my tsx so much I'm actually planning on picking up an RSB for my new audi TT when it arrives in a couple months.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

I also have a Progress bar on my Prelude (27mm). I'm using the softest setting and car has only slight understeer. If I used the middle setting, the understeer is gone with perhaps a very mild oversteer. I haven't tried the stiffest setting yet, but someone claims drifting action with the stiffest setting and was black-flagged at the track. This means a properly sized rear swaybar works really well for FWD cars.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TinkySD
RSBs on a FWD car make, arguably, more of a difference than on RWD since you can't modulate throttle to adjust rotation! The only way to adjust the balance is to modify suspension/tire inflations and the RSB does a fantastic job of this in the tsx.

I've liked the RSB on my tsx so much I'm actually planning on picking up an RSB for my new audi TT when it arrives in a couple months.
Thanks, good info. I am struggling with the way a FWD car drives. This in my first FWD in many years, and they are just different. Not better, not worse, just different. My Corvette and LS are RWD, and I understand how to make them handle, so now I have a new challenge.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

FWD handles differently, to be sure... I've driven both, and I hate to pick a favorite, but then, I think Honda makes some of the better handling FWD, so maybe that eases the pain of not having RWD. ;-)

On my Prelude, I was able to get it pretty neutral just from very minor changes (including playing with the tire pressure). Best handling car according to C&D under $30k...

Now that I have the RSB, I look forward to putting on better tires. If I still feel the need for something more, I guess I'll have to start looking at suspension upgrades again, but I'm wondering if just having stickier sports car tires will be good enough?