rear and side view cameras

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb rear and side view cameras

has anyone installed rear and side view cameras and hooked it up to navi system screen? i know in japan they have split view or whole view left and right cameras as well as rear view cameras. would be pretty sweet if we could hook them here in USA too.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:04 PM
Registered AssHat

I saw someone with a Car PC that used a webcam for the rear one and just switched via software.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:06 PM
Still here

It's on the to-do list There is a signal in the navi that lets it know when you are in reverse. It can be used with some relays to get a cammera to show up on the navi when you put the car into reverse automaticly!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro

Originally posted by e_lectro
It's on the to-do list There is a signal in the navi that lets it know when you are in reverse. It can be used with some relays to get a cammera to show up on the navi when you put the car into reverse automaticly!
Oh definately. Keep us up to date.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:09 AM
Still here

It'll be awhile, can't afford the cammera right now, spent too much for this month. lol
Old 09-29-2003, 12:51 AM
Pro

It'll be awhile, can't afford the cammera right now, spent too much for this month. lol
Old 09-29-2003, 07:36 AM
Racer

How hard will it be to tap into this reverse signal and how hard would it be to get the camera to display on the nav? It sounds like a programming issue once that reverse signal is detected. Do you know if we already have the programming and it is just not being used? I'd love to do this if it didn't involve a serious hack into the nav.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Re: rear and side view cameras

Originally posted by muteki
has anyone installed rear and side view cameras and hooked it up to navi system screen? i know in japan they have split view or whole view left and right cameras as well as rear view cameras. would be pretty sweet if we could hook them here in USA too.
I can see the benefit of rear view camera (especially on large vehicles) but what's up with the side view. Can't you just check your door mirrors and glance over your shoulder. This is a genuine question not a flame.

I guess it's kind of James Bond-y, but if I had the NAV, I'd be spending my money getting a DVD player hooked up rather than side cameras.

C.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Racer

Re: Re: rear and side view cameras

Originally posted by chrisalberts
I can see the benefit of rear view camera (especially on large vehicles) but what's up with the side view. Can't you just check your door mirrors and glance over your shoulder. This is a genuine question not a flame.
I can see the benefit since we don't have the reverse tilt-down feature for the side view mirrors. I sure got used to having this in my CLS. It makes backing into a parking space so much easier.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:40 AM
Advanced

I installed a tuner unit in my 01 Acura MDX that enables me to play DVDs, TV stations, and rear views on a flip down monitor and the nav screen. The rear view camera (made in Japan) comes on when I switch into reverse and is also available as one of the video channels while in motion. The tuner and the camera were part of a group buy that I was involved in with other MDX owners in April/May of this year. You can visit the thread on the acuramdx.org forum. There are lots of posts regarding this:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/forum...php?forumid=19

gotsand?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear

Re: Re: Re: rear and side view cameras

Originally posted by Bear Trap
I can see the benefit since we don't have the reverse tilt-down feature for the side view mirrors. I sure got used to having this in my CLS. It makes backing into a parking space so much easier.
the reason on the side view camera is for when you are pulling out into traffic and cant see over a wall or bush or something. in japan they have narrow roads and its easier to pull out into traffice if you can see whats coming at you...
Old 10-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by gotsand
I installed a tuner unit in my 01 Acura MDX that enables me to play DVDs, TV stations, and rear views on a flip down monitor and the nav screen. The rear view camera (made in Japan) comes on when I switch into reverse and is also available as one of the video channels while in motion. The tuner and the camera were part of a group buy that I was involved in with other MDX owners in April/May of this year. You can visit the thread on the acuramdx.org forum. There are lots of posts regarding this:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/forum...php?forumid=19

gotsand?
How did you get dvds to play in your navi?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: rear and side view cameras

the reason on the side view camera is for when you are pulling out into traffic and cant see over a wall or bush or something. in japan they have narrow roads and its easier to pull out into traffice if you can see whats coming at you...
Oh, that figures. Of course, they could always get by with just putting one of those large convex mirrors on the roadway so you can see traffic. But that wouldn't be a gadget driven solution, I guess.

C.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Advanced

How did you get dvds to play in your navi?
I have a Blaupunkt DVD/MP3/CD player under the driver's seat. It is connected to the tuner unit which is under the passenger's seat and sits atop the nav unit (in the MDX). Everything is plugged into that tuner unit which in turn sends video (TV and DVD) to the flip down monitor and the in-dash nav screen. It also connects the rear view camera to the reverse switch on the shifter and also to one of the video channels. I get rear view video when I shift into R and can also call it up on the screens while I'm moving. I could have also used a PS2 as a DVD player also and even now, can plug in the game console for the kids to play while we are on trip.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has anybody gotten this done yet? what are the costs? where can the cams from? whats the installation like?

thx
Old 04-19-2004, 09:52 PM
I am Ahab!

I can't remember what magazine but a guy had the side mirrors in his front corner lights so he could see around the corner without pulling all the way out.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

i want to avoid mirrors.... :-) besides i like to have all the bells and whistels... i am putting the computer in my car to use on the navi screen... and the rear view license place camera...
Old 04-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Re: rear and side view cameras

Question: where do you put the camera without drilling a hole on the trunk? If I have to drill a hole, I'll do it behind the license plate. Is it legal to drill the license plate in NJ?
Old 04-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

I love this. It kind of reminds me of the story where NASA spends untold millions of dollars on developing a pen that can be used in Space... the Russians used a pencil.

Just look over your shoulder!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by DEVO
I love this. It kind of reminds me of the story where NASA spends untold millions of dollars on developing a pen that can be used in Space... the Russians used a pencil.

Just look over your shoulder!!!
haha.... i myself am looking for the front cameras... just because a lot of places i drive there are trees or other obstacles that block my view around the corner.... im trying to avoid having another car take the front of mine off
Old 04-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You big tease!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by DEVO
I knew about the pen. I didn't know about the pencil.

But why a nice car when you get an Aveo from Chevy. It will get you around just like a TSX.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

Space pen story is BS

The space pen story is technically false. Read the snopes site.
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
Old 04-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Don't listen to me.

Re: Space pen story is BS

Originally posted by xsfo
The space pen story is technically false. Read the snopes site.
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
Your first post and I think it was a good one. Quoteing from 80's cartoon. "Now I know" "and knowing is half the battle. YO Joe!"
Old 04-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

I want nightvision in my Navi... I can't find a suitable camera that isn't extraordinarily expensive. By camera, I don't me low lux, I mean IR detector.

Up here in the stix in Maine... animal collisions during hours of darkness are always a danger. My daily commute wouldn't have to be so white knuckled if I could just see through the dark.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

are you looking for the one for your front bumpers?

basically you want something with night vision?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by vikrampatel
are you looking for the one for your front bumpers?

basically you want something with night vision?
I would probably hide it behind the grill... or under the bumper in the air dam.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro

Originally posted by chadjcyr
I would probably hide it behind the grill... or under the bumper in the air dam.
The Cadillac Deville had a night vision system with HUD, and the camera cleverly integrated into the badge in the grille. I don't know if the current model still does. I never understood why they didn't carry that over to their sporty cars to appeal to the younger, gadget-lusting demographic.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by kiteboy
The Cadillac Deville had a night vision system with HUD, and the camera cleverly integrated into the badge in the grille. I don't know if the current model still does. I never understood why they didn't carry that over to their sporty cars to appeal to the younger, gadget-lusting demographic.
It's simple... and I am finding out why... PRICE! LOL
Old 04-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by chadjcyr
It's simple... and I am finding out why... PRICE! LOL
avelectonic.com has one... but i dont know if it has nighvision
http://www.hitchcam.com also has one..and i was told by them today that it has night vision...but it was somwehre around 500 for the camera... :-\

let me know if you find anything cheaper...
thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

thanks sxfo.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:23 AM
Suzuka Master

has anybody found the rear view camera/license plate for less than $275? avelectronic.com sells it for $275......
Old 04-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by vikrampatel
has anybody found the rear view camera/license plate for less than $275? avelectronic.com sells it for $275......
I can live with the price - but I'd need to know how to install it. Anyone around NYC know where I could have it set up?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

circuit city will do it... i know they arnt the best people to do it...but at least if they screw up something you can hold a company responsible