RDX Sales: Implications for next TSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went for a test drive and I was kind of confused and not really impressed. Where the TSX is a bargain, the RDX comes across as a very expensive vehicle. First, its not any bigger inside than a TSX, just taller. I tried installing my kids rear facing child seat, and still had to push the front passenger seat forward, just like in the TSX.

The TL is a bigger vehicle than the RDX, of course you can't tumble the seats forward to fit large items in. But at least you get a V-6 and you get over 20mpg. I've seen real world 16-18mpg postings for the RDX.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
I've been following the RDX prices at my locals dealerships. When the vehicle first debuted, some of the more predatory Acura dealers in the Los Angeles area were demanding "Added Dealer Markup." Now, Carsdirect is reporting prices that are quite close to invoice. That tells me that sales have been disappointing. In fact, when I went to visit my local dealer, he had slews of them on the lot and was quite clear about being willing to deal.

I wonder if the upscale market's resistance to four-bangers (even with forced induction) is part of the issue? This, in turn, makes me wonder if we will ever see the Turbo 2.3 in the TSX. That engine just seems like a tough sell.

Of course, a 4-cyl in a $27,000 TSX may be more acceptable than a 4-cyl in a $35,000 RDX.
A TSX with ANY amount of power would interest me. If I'm paying this damn much for a car, I want it to at least "go" when i press on the damn accelerator.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Napkin: I can't help but see you hate the TSX because of a 'lack of power'. sorry, but 200+ HP and a very nice, flat torque curve, means this car has SOME power. Its not a V6, nor a turbo, but its great on gas, is quick (not lightning fast, but quick), and handles like a champ in the corners.

Before bashing the hell out of the TSX, which I conclude you own but are not happy with, consider that many people aren't looking for power as a first requirement when they look at the TSX. It's got enough to be moderately entertaining, but the other qualities of the car are its main selling features (performance ie: turns/nimbleness, looks (subtle and classy), and luxury ie: not a tin can with a big engine).

I think YOU bought the wrong car for your needs.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by curls
Napkin: I can't help but see you hate the TSX because of a 'lack of power'. sorry, but 200+ HP and a very nice, flat torque curve, means this car has SOME power. Its not a V6, nor a turbo, but its great on gas, is quick (not lightning fast, but quick), and handles like a champ in the corners.

Before bashing the hell out of the TSX, which I conclude you own but are not happy with, consider that many people aren't looking for power as a first requirement when they look at the TSX. It's got enough to be moderately entertaining, but the other qualities of the car are its main selling features (performance ie: turns/nimbleness, looks (subtle and classy), and luxury ie: not a tin can with a big engine).

YEA ERIC!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by curls

There's nothing more I hate than TSX owners bashing the cars power. Didn't you test drive the fawkin thing before signing on the dotted line? As far as I'm concerned TSX OWNERS have no right to complain about the cars power. Power is not something that generally degrades with time. You knew what you were getting into. If you made that mistake, sell the car and move on with your life. Just stop bitching about a mistake YOU made.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

There's nothing more I hate than TSX owners bashing the cars power. Didn't you test drive the fawkin thing before signing on the dotted line? As far as I'm concerned TSX OWNERS have no right to complain about the cars power. Power is not something that generally degrades with time. You knew what you were getting into. If you made that mistake, sell the car and move on with your life. Just stop bitching about a mistake YOU made.
Amen.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Car Nut

Old 03-22-2007, 06:22 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by NightHawk CL9
i think the reason the RDX is not selling so well is that as a house (when selling)..... would you like to have the most expensive house on the block in a cheap neighborhood or would you have the cheapest house on the richest neighborhood. i think the TSX is a great value thats why it still sells strong, while people are having a hard time grabbing an RDX with MDX money.
That nails it on the head.

They should have made the SH-AWD an option and priced it under 30K. I think soccer moms could care less, espically the ones in socal, about sh-awd.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

anybody have an idea if the RDX out-handles the TSX?

May be a stupid Q, given the SHAWD, just curious.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by joerockt
That nails it on the head.

They should have made the SH-AWD an option and priced it under 30K. I think soccer moms could care less, espically the ones in socal, about sh-awd.
That engine with FWD would be a recipe for serious torque steer though.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by fintracity
anybody have an idea if the RDX out-handles the TSX?

May be a stupid Q, given the SHAWD, just curious.
Yea, according to C&D it does. Better numbers on the skidpad, etc...
Old 03-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by darth62
That engine with FWD would be a recipe for serious torque steer though.
Can't be any worse then the TL
Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Car Nut

'nuf said!