Raised Driver Seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raised Driver Seat

I like a lot of thigh support but my but is sitting too low in the driver's seat. I'm thinking of raising the seat by 1". I have the service manual and it only looks like there are 4 support points where the seat is bolted down. I was going to get 4 spacers machined and pop them in. A few questions for everybody:

1. Anyone ever do this?
2. Anyone know if the holddown bolts are hardened?
3. Will I compromise my safety in an accident (side air bag, position of seat?)

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeffropugs
I like a lot of thigh support but my but is sitting too low in the driver's seat. I'm thinking of raising the seat by 1". I have the service manual and it only looks like there are 4 support points where the seat is bolted down. I was going to get 4 spacers machined and pop them in. A few questions for everybody:

1. Anyone ever do this?
2. Anyone know if the holddown bolts are hardened?
3. Will I compromise my safety in an accident (side air bag, position of seat?)

Thanks!
It might not be a good idea for the airbag reason.. I am not sure how that aibag works, but i am sure that it is positioned there for a reason.. The airbag that is.. Not the seat...

On second thought the drivers seat raised and lowers and that obviously doesnt harm the airbag position...

Hmmm Go for it....
Old 12-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can raise the seat using the power seats. Just pull directly up on the seat adjustment and it will raise it up and down.

Did you already try that? And was that not high enough?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tsx536
You can raise the seat using the power seats. Just pull directly up on the seat adjustment and it will raise it up and down.

Did you already try that? And was that not high enough?
Yeah, it's not high enough. I like to sit in a V-position. Plus the previous owner was a bigger guy and might have flattened it out....
Old 12-06-2004, 07:28 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The rear bracket is flat and parallel to the floor. The front bracket is bent over the frame rail bump and is almost 90 degrees to the floor.

For this reason you can space the R bolts but not the F bolts. This would raise the R height but not the F, changing the angle as you increase height.

I spaced the R bolts about 2-3mm when I installed a JL amp under the Pass seat. Used washers. Worked fine but the angle change was detectable if you paid attention. The gap under the bracket-end trim caps was detectable if you looked hard but not bad-looking.

BTW, do NOT turn on the ignition when the seat is unplugged or you will get an Airbag warning light requiring a dealer visit for resetting (that's what I hear anyway...)
Old 12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino
BTW, do NOT turn on the ignition when the seat is unplugged or you will get an Airbag warning light requiring a dealer visit for resetting (that's what I hear anyway...)
Very good tip...! I thought about taking my seat off before to mount some things under there, damn...I'm glad I didn't end up doing that, cuz I probably would have turn on the ignition for sure.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elduderino
The rear bracket is flat and parallel to the floor. The front bracket is bent over the frame rail bump and is almost 90 degrees to the floor.

For this reason you can space the R bolts but not the F bolts. This would raise the R height but not the F, changing the angle as you increase height.

I spaced the R bolts about 2-3mm when I installed a JL amp under the Pass seat. Used washers. Worked fine but the angle change was detectable if you paid attention. The gap under the bracket-end trim caps was detectable if you looked hard but not bad-looking.

The mounting for the passenger seat is much diff if it's a 2004 I believe (from the service manual pics). Anyone fool with the power seat?