Questions about Purchasing in Different State?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:23 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about Purchasing in Different State?

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at the Acura TSX for purchase. I've enjoyed reading all the threads and learning about everybody's likes and dislikes.

Now my issue... I am a resident of Oregon, but need to have a car in Philadelphia for an extended period of time (1-2 years). Is it possible to purchase a car from Philadelphia/NJ dealer and not have to pay sales tax, since my permanent residence will still be in Oregon (No sales tax)???

It seems my options are:
1) Purchase a car in Oregon, and ship it to Philadelphia (No sales tax, and shipping costs of $1000- $1300)
2) Purchase a car in Philadelphia or NJ area (Maybe better price?, Sales tax?, and no shipping required).

Is it even feasible to purchase a car in Philadelphia, and register it in Oregon, w/out the car ever being in Oregon? I would still like to get Oregon plates/insurance/etc.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. It seems there is a wide array of experiences on this board, and hopefully someone has some insight into my situation.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

My guess is that if you're going to be actually residing in Philly for a period of 1 to 2 years, the state of PA is going to want you to have that car registered in PA. Just a guess... I know this because a friend of mine moved up to Maine from GA, and within 6 months the cops were really harassing him to get the car registered in the state.

Secondly, as far as sales tax, I as well purchased my car out of state. I purchased in Mass. for use in Maine. I paid Mass. sales tax (5%) and took a receipt with me when I registered my car. Because I had already paid it, and because Mass. & Maine are the same at 5%, I didn't have to pay anything different. If Mass. had been LESS than Maine, I'd have had to pay the difference when I registered. If Mass. had been more, then that would have been my loss; no refund on the difference.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think that unless the sales tax in Oregon is much different than PA, then you might as well buy it where you plan on registering it. If the sales taxes are more or less the same, then just buy/register in Oregon and ship to PA. You'll still pay Oregon taxes.

If you want to buy in Oregon but register in PA, you'll still have to pay PA sales tax but also have to get your PA license.

If you buy in PA and want Oregon tags, you still end up paying Oregon taxes when you register, and I don't know how Oregon handles title transfers, so it may not be possible to do this in absentia.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

If you register in Oregon, you can keep your Oregon tags/registration for the entire time you're in PA, but that's up to you. As long as you also keep your Oregon license.

if you want to know more about the procedure in PA, send me a PM. I used to work for an insurance agency / ttitle transfer agency.

But no, there's no way to get out of payign sales tax.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Oregon has no sales tax so in a way he can get out of it.

I guess you just have to figure out whether 1000-1300 is cheaper than sales tax (my guess is yes it is). Alternatively maybe you could just get a cheap plane ticket after you strike up a deal and drive it back. Long way, I know, but just a thought.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimlim-01
. . . Is it possible to purchase a car from Philadelphia/NJ dealer and not have to pay sales tax, since my permanent residence will still be in Oregon (No sales tax)??? . . .
It might be. I looked into this, and it turned out that the key (for Coloradoans)was the address I declared when I first registered: In other words, if I bought in Texas, but didn't use a Texas address, the Colorado people would see that when I went to get my plates and they would make me pay Colorado sales tax.

As an Oregonian, you're entitled to that zero sales tax rate. But I'd check with both states' agencies. (This would be a real bad thing to get burned on due to incomplete info)

You might want to compile the complete fees for each option you're considering (Oregon may have no sales tax, but compensates with higher registration fees - only working the numbers can tell you).
Old 04-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Cruisin'

Hey all,

On a similar note...

I am currently in Colorado and will move to GA in a few weeks. I am planning to buy the car here in Colorado under the special finance offer.

Instead of paying 8.xx% Sales tax here can I instead mail my documents to GA - DMV, pay taxes there so that I can also title/register in GA and get GA licence plate issued. Do they physcially inspect the car? Any idea about this.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Junky
Hey all,

On a similar note...

I am currently in Colorado and will move to GA in a few weeks. I am planning to buy the car here in Colorado under the special finance offer.

Instead of paying 8.xx% Sales tax here can I instead mail my documents to GA - DMV, pay taxes there so that I can also title/register in GA and get GA licence plate issued. Do they physcially inspect the car? Any idea about this.
It's probably possible, but I don't know GA policies because every state does it differently.

Previously in PA, you were allowed 30 days AFTER you registered your car to get your PA license if you don't have it.

NOW, you have to have your PA license before you can register. So it all depends on how the states deal and the overall costs.

And no, in PA they don't physically iinspect the car...they really only care about the title. Insurance may be another story though.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:59 PM
5th Gear

Thanks

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to call the DMV in both OR and PA and find out.

Hopefully I'll be able to just purchase the car in Philly and not have to pay tax. Cheapest solution, no tax and no shipping!