Questions about Police

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by idx
Since I seem to be running into nothing but asshole cops lately, I'll pose this scenario [yomamma] and you weigh in.

GF and I were driving to the mall and I happened to be the one driving [her suv - maybe a 20% chance that I'd drive]. Her tag had expired ~3mo before and she thought she had renewed, but apparently not. (we weren't aware of this at the time)

So we're naturally pulled over by a state trooper. Lic, reg, ins.. Not my car, I have no clue where the reg/ins is and she is looking for it. I hand my license and poke around my area to check for the reg/ins. Cop again asserts, `Sir, Registration and Insurance`. I say, "yes, we're looking, this is her vehicle and I have no clue where she keeps it".

Ok, so we do the 7.45min wait while he checks the info in his computer.

Back with `Sir, did you know your tag expired on XX`. I: "No I didn't. This is her vehicle and I just happened to drive today." ..

...so we go through a few more rounds of this inane banter and he ends up writing ME a warning.

Sure, I was technically driving, but who the hell checks their gf/friend's/family's car when the owner is riding with you on a short trip? I damn sure wasn't going to pay anything over something like this.

More or less I appreciated the notification about the tag, but could do without the asshole attitude. Sorry, I've just been running into little dumb situations like that where the cop is being unnecessarily rude and hostile when I've done nothing wrong.

-r
It sounds like you ran into a cop who was having a bad day. That sucks. However, even though it's not your car, as long as you are driving it, you are responsible by law for any infractions. Even if it was just a headlight out that the owner broke....it's still your responsibility....i know it doesn't make sense, but that's the skinny.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by gfxdave99
So much for this not becoming a cop bashing thread.

Ehhh, oh well. It's decent reading though.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by idx
Since I seem to be running into nothing but asshole cops lately, I'll pose this scenario [yomamma] and you weigh in.

GF and I were driving to the mall and I happened to be the one driving [her suv - maybe a 20% chance that I'd drive]. Her tag had expired ~3mo before and she thought she had renewed, but apparently not. (we weren't aware of this at the time)

So we're naturally pulled over by a state trooper. Lic, reg, ins.. Not my car, I have no clue where the reg/ins is and she is looking for it. I hand my license and poke around my area to check for the reg/ins. Cop again asserts, `Sir, Registration and Insurance`. I say, "yes, we're looking, this is her vehicle and I have no clue where she keeps it".

Ok, so we do the 7.45min wait while he checks the info in his computer.

Back with `Sir, did you know your tag expired on XX`. I: "No I didn't. This is her vehicle and I just happened to drive today." ..

...so we go through a few more rounds of this inane banter and he ends up writing ME a warning.

Sure, I was technically driving, but who the hell checks their gf/friend's/family's car when the owner is riding with you on a short trip? I damn sure wasn't going to pay anything over something like this.

More or less I appreciated the notification about the tag, but could do without the asshole attitude. Sorry, I've just been running into little dumb situations like that where the cop is being unnecessarily rude and hostile when I've done nothing wrong.

-r
Another thing you must remember: Cops deal with some of the stupidest, most ignorant, and uneducated people every day for 8-12 hours. 90% of the people they come into contact with are these people. And after awhile, it probably gets on their nerves, just like it would for you and me.

But when they come into contact with someone like you, the other 10%, who is educated, calm, and polite....it's hard for them to change channels. That's my take.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The few times that I've been pulled over, I've always been polite to the officer and they usually let me off with just a warning. It probably helped that the last few times I was pulled over, it happened on days when I was wearing a nice shirt with a tie.

Also, just to point out, although it is true that it seems like a major inconvenience to get a ticket, some people just don't learn to follow the rules until they actually get a ticket. People around where I live often drive like total morons and regularly endanger the lives of other drivers, but there aren't enough police officers to enforce the laws. So when you get a ticket, just be polite, accept the ticket, and then figure out how you're going to get out of it later (especially if you know you were breaking the law).
Old 02-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by yomama
Traffic cops are Police Officers. What you think is a "traffic cop" is actually a sworn police officer.
well, i knew somebody would point out the obvious. my point is that if you are doing traffic duties, such as speed traps, or anything to do with patroling the roadways... you are a traffic cop. anything else, you are a police officer in my books.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Über Geek

Re: Questions about Police

This is my self proclaimed "Official Police Q&A" thread.
If your have a question regarding Police and your TSX, this is the thread to post it!!

PS...this isn't a cop bashing thread. That horse is dead. But if you have a question about your driving and your contact with the Police, or about the law, ask now. It won't be held against you in a court of law.
Officer Yomama, I have a question.
Who the fuck ASKED you? I'm sure you're a decent guy but the tone and motivation of the post are incredibly condescending. I like how you capitalize police. Very telling. Very "us vs. them."

You sound like a bad public service announcement. Like you're giving us AMNESTY to ask questions. Do you use a wheelbarrow to carry your giant balls?

And by the way, "that horse" is alive and kicking. Know why?

Because people get hassled in trafffic at random. Or worse, because they're Driving While Black.

Because some cops will pull over and ticket somebody (to enforce safety laws) while BLOCKING A LANE OF MOVING TRAFFIC, compromising safety.

Because some cops chirp the siren and lights to go through a red light only to pull into a Kwik-E-Mart two blocks later.

Because instead of patrolling, some cops hide just to get revenue—I mean, "violators."

Because, because, because…I don't want to keep piling on, I'm just making a point. People (dumb and intelligent alike) have a genuine beef with and distrust of you.

Before you drum up images of 9/11, I KNOW it's a tough gig. Few occupations list "death" in the job description. That doesn't make all the other stuff alright.

Maybe that explains why this turned into such interesting reading for you…sir.

Please hold THIS [grabs crotch] in a court of law.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:59 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Crazytree
I've spent the last year of law school "reading up on that". The controlling Federal caselaw on this issue is PACE v. STATE 224 N.E.2d 312 (1967). YOU read up on that, you jive turkey. This specific issue was discussed extensively in my Criminal Transactions course. Basically... the Model Penal Code states that you have no duty to report the actions of a third-party criminal provided that you have taken no actions to harbor, conceal or aid the principal to avoid capture and/or punishment.

You sure talk alot for someone who doesn't understand that the legislature makes laws and the fact that cops are public servants and I am not.
YOMOMA gets OWNED!

puahaha...
Old 02-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

You have not taken into consideration why more cops are needed. It's called birth, which means bigger population.
When the anti cop ballot arises, you might as well vote for less teachers and firefighters. Until then....
Birth is not the answer. If there already too many cops (which is my feeling), then an increasing population would just be throwing things back to a correct ration. I would bet that population has less to do with crime rates than economic factors do.

Comparing teachers and firefighters to the police is insulting to teachers and firefighters. Educating children and altruistically saving lives is truly admirable, while busting people for $10 worth of pot or driving 75 on a 65 is just moronic and a waste of our countries slimming resources.

If cops are truly good people, why all the outrage here in California by the police when we tried to pass a law prohibiting anyone with a domestic violence conviction from carrying a gun. Many officers were afraid of losing their jobs, since they have such a high rate of wife-beating (as I posted on the other cop thread, 4X that of average citizens).
Old 02-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by Ozzman
Birth is not the answer. If there already too many cops (which is my feeling), then an increasing population would just be throwing things back to a correct ration. I would bet that population has less to do with crime rates than economic factors do.
Reminds me of SimCity... when you have too many police stations/unit of area, the coverage is rated 'oppressive' and the people complain
Old 02-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by civic4982
YOMOMA gets OWNED!

puahaha...
you just cheapened yourself
Old 02-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Banned

actually I think he summed up my legal argument quite succinctly!
Old 02-22-2004, 01:29 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by civic4982
YOMOMA gets OWNED!

puahaha...
zzzzzzzzz
Old 02-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Advanced

many people feel that cops have to be respected and stuff, but i think very low of them. In the past two weeks, I have gotten two tickets: One for not turning on my signal at 1 in da mornin and the other because my right tires were over the line when i parked and i got a ticket for parking over two lanes. And so many of them out there are racists. I kind of live in a wealthy area and the other day when my friend dropped me off, the cop put on the sirens and searched me and stuff because off my skin color. Because of my color they don't think I can be living at a house with an acura, lexus, and benz on the driveway. Cops are PRICKS!