Question regardin steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question regardin steering wheel

Hello everybody,

I'm new here; I hope you can help me. I own a 05 TSX; I have been having trouble with the steering wheel. There is an annoying noise coming from in there. It sounds like if something is rubbing in there when you turn the steering any side. Also while I'm driving I hear a rattling noise as if something is loose.

I have taken in to the service department, at first they thought it was the power steering they replaced the whole power steering system. That didn't work so I took it in again, and they said it was a band of some sort in the steering, they replaced that, and nothing, the noise continues.

Have any of you experienced anything like this?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a new one. Never heard of it.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me neither. Definitely leverage the dealer into following through on the repair. It can't be that complicated.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Instructor

May not be the same problem, but I had a persistent rattle coming from the steering wheel, turned out to be my keys rattling together.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Roci
Hello everybody,

I'm new here; I hope you can help me. I own a 05 TSX; I have been having trouble with the steering wheel. There is an annoying noise coming from in there. It sounds like if something is rubbing in there when you turn the steering any side. Also while I'm driving I hear a rattling noise as if something is loose.

I have taken in to the service department, at first they thought it was the power steering they replaced the whole power steering system. That didn't work so I took it in again, and they said it was a band of some sort in the steering, they replaced that, and nothing, the noise continues.

Have any of you experienced anything like this?
This is strange, but I have the same problem with my 06 Miata. I am wondering what this is myself. Iwill be watching this thread to see what develops
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
TSX User

I had the same rattle coming from behind the steering wheel on my 04 TSX.

It was clearly a result of engine vibrations. It appeared as rattles from the gear shifter base, center console and the steering wheel. Told the dealer about it at my first/second oil change and they dissapeared. But the center console still buzzes now and then.

I think they may have replaced some part of the steering column, but I can't remember for sure.

Tell the dealer, I imagine they've done this fix a gazillion times over.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Roci
Also while I'm driving I hear a rattling noise as if something is loose.
Could be a loose airbag cable, there are one or two threads concerning it in the Problems & Fixes section.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Advanced

Thank you everybody for your input.

I called to make an appointment once again, and the guy was surprised to hear that the problem persists.

Anyway I will keep you guys updated.

Oh and no it is not the key's , that was the first thing I checked.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Well, I finally took back my car, and apparently there is nothing else they can to it. They said that they replaced everything possible from the car, and that they cannot do anything else.

I don't know what to do now. The noise is still there, and I feel that if I paid about $30,000 on a new car, it should not be making those noises. Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Racer

I have the same issue, well, sounds to be the same or similar. When I turn my wheel right or left it makes a noise like what you would hear from tires on a painted service, kind of a rubbing type noise. It doesnt do so while moving at speed, but def. when parking or cutting the wheel you can hear it. They are changing my oil thursday, and are supposed to look at it then. Mine doesnt seem to be as noticable as yours though, as it doesnt bother me...other than trying to figure out what is making the noise...I dont hear it all the time.