Question About A Spare Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 07:56 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question About A Spare Key

Well I am curious about getting a spare key made. Actually I plan on using it to hide in a unique location in case I ever lock my keys in my car. I live alone in an area where I dont know anybody, so I would be screwed if this ever happened. The problem is the Acura key is too damn big to fit inside the key hider. Is there anyway to get a smaller one made? I know some cars used to have plastic keys for your wallet, but with the TSX chip I dont think thats even possible. Any suggestions?
Old 03-28-2004, 07:58 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its impossible to lock your keys in the car with the TSX. Unless you leave them in the trunk.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Evil Empire Peon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't tried this but couldn't this technically work?

- Turn off engine.
- Take keys out of ignition.
- Dump keys on seat.
- Open door.
- Manual lock door.
- Close door.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:33 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Revenent

- Turn off engine.
- Dump keys on seat.
- Open door.
- Manual lock door.
- Close door.
I think the locks will instantly unlock even if you manually press down the lock button.

My point of doing this is if I were to, say, lock my car keys in my apartment, or vice versa. Since my door key is on the same keychain as my car keys, this would be a sucka$$ situation.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:49 PM
TSX Bronco

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
I think the locks will instantly unlock even if you manually press down the lock button.

My point of doing this is if I were to, say, lock my car keys in my apartment, or vice versa. Since my door key is on the same keychain as my car keys, this would be a sucka$$ situation.
I know what you mean. Even though the TSX is pretty much idiot proof when it comes to locking yourself out, I'm still paranoid about locking myself out too. That's why I keep my key fob and car key separate from my house keys. It's kind of a pain but more peace of mind for me.

The reason I'm paranoid is that my '01 CL-S actually did lock me out 3 times when I had it! I had to bring it to my dealer to get it fixed. Something with the locking system or something. Luckily every time that happened I was in my driveway.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:08 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

- Turn off engine.
- Dump keys on seat.
- Open door.
- Manual lock door.
- Close door.
Nope. A few seconds after you close the door, it will automatically unlock. Its a honda thing, even the civic does it.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:54 PM
... TSX you say?

Is there anyway to get a smaller one made? I know some cars used to have plastic keys for your wallet, but with the TSX chip I dont think thats even possible. Any suggestions?
Got me wondering now... I would think you could get a key that would unlock the door, but not start the car. This because the Acura key has the chip inside for the imobilizer system. But one would think you could get a key that just unlocks the door in a standard size key.

Those GM wallet keys... Awesome idea. I don't think they do it anymore since my parents got a '04 Tahoe and it was not included.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally posted by fdl
Nope. A few seconds after you close the door, it will automatically unlock. Its a honda thing, even the civic does it.
Yep. It will lock. Only if the key is in the ignition, the car wont lock. If you drop keys on the seat, floorboard or in your pocket - the car doesn't know the difference. Lock will be locked.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:08 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by odessa
Yep. It will lock. Only if the key is in the ignition, the car wont lock. If you drop keys on the seat, floorboard or in your pocket - the car doesn't know the difference. Lock will be locked.
Thats not true, I havent actually tried this on my TSX but I tried it on a civic and it definately will NOT lock. The only way to lock the driver side door is with the key. I dont see why the TSX would be any different. I'll give it a try later and let u know
Old 03-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Evil Empire Peon

OK, just tried this:

- Unlock using fob.
- Get in.
- Close door.
- Turn key in ignition to II.
- Turn key back to off and remove.
- Unlock doors using driver door control.
- Open door.
- Lock using driver door control.
- Close door with master key on driver seat.

Waited 30 seconds and the door didn't unlock. Tested all 4 doors to make sure they were still locked.

Got back in through the valet key.

Since the fob was inside the car, I couldn't test whether or not it would be the same if I tried to lock the car using the fob.

On a side note, the alarm light blinks a lot faster initially when I just lock and close the door rather than pressing the fob to lock.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:59 AM
built for speed

As the last poist descibes, it's definately possible to lock your keys in the car. It's also possible to lose your keys while you are a long way from home (or your spare key and fob). That's why some people want a spare key to put in their wallet. The chip in the key precludes a "thin" walet style spare. I had a copy made with a thin blank, but it only unlocks the door. You'll have to hide an extra fully functional key in the vehicle if you want to go this route. That's the price we pay for all the "progress". It was a lot easier with simpler ignition systems. Oh well.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:17 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

OK, just tried this:

- Unlock using fob.
- Get in.
- Close door.
- Turn key in ignition to II.
- Turn key back to off and remove.
- Unlock doors using driver door control.
- Open door.
- Lock using driver door control.
- Close door with master key on driver seat.

Waited 30 seconds and the door didn't unlock. Tested all 4 doors to make sure they were still locked.

Got back in through the valet key.

Since the fob was inside the car, I couldn't test whether or not it would be the same if I tried to lock the car using the fob.

On a side note, the alarm light blinks a lot faster initially when I just lock and close the door rather than pressing the fob to lock.

Hmm....if the civic has this feature the TSX most certainly should. Could it be that the car needs to be started?

By the way, you didnt need to actually leave your key in the car to test this
Old 03-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Evil Empire Peon

Originally posted by fdl
Hmm....if the civic has this feature the TSX most certainly should. Could it be that the car needs to be started?

By the way, you didnt need to actually leave your key in the car to test this
LOL - yeah, but I wanted to get the full "ooops I did something stupid" experience.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Pro

Does anyone make those wallet-keys anywmore? CAA (the Canadian AAA) used to give them out for free, but I don't think they have them anymore.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Racer

wait doesnt the tsx automatically lock if u leave it unattended i thought it did?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Evil Empire Peon

If your car was initially locked with the fob, and then you unlock the car with the fob, but don't open the doors. I think that's when the 30 second auto-lock will start kicking.