QUESTION about Navigation/ DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 04:19 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUESTION about Navigation/ DVD

Just brought my new baby home today. She's 6 speed, Carbon Grey Pearl/ Ebony interior w/ the Navigation.......LOVE IT. But I had a quick question? Has anyone tried to use their navi screen as a dvd player, if so how could I do that??? I love my new car. I've been waiting for so long!!!! Please let me know.
Thanks
Old 04-24-2004, 08:31 AM
7th Gear

Can't do it. You need to buy a a seperate unit that aloows you to hook up a dvd player to it. Check out this site:

http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm
Old 04-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: QUESTION about Navigation/ DVD

Originally posted by dolphin21e
Just brought my new baby home today. She's 6 speed, Carbon Grey Pearl/ Ebony interior w/ the Navigation.......LOVE IT. But I had a quick question? Has anyone tried to use their navi screen as a dvd player, if so how could I do that??? I love my new car. I've been waiting for so long!!!! Please let me know.
Thanks
yea the box from avelectronic.com has it..... i just hooked up a computer to it so i can watch dvd's using the comp, or play mp3s, or if you have a wireless lan card, drive around and get signal... although i have the wireless internet service with verizon (slow now, but in october will have broadband speeds with the wireless card)... but the wireless card u can drive around checking your email...

the avelectronic also lets you have backup cameras, or watch tv, playstation/xbox, etc.

have fun with it
Old 04-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Advanced

dam 525 bucks, Hmm , is this thing eay to install or do you recommened a shop posibbly doing it?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by hondaloyalist
dam 525 bucks, Hmm , is this thing eay to install or do you recommened a shop posibbly doing it?

well... im not good with cars... so i dont know what your skill level is... i had circuit city do it... they did a pretty good job... no problems with it... although i just had it done yesterday ....

if you dont want to use the reverse camera that you can buy for it... then realistically you only need to get the power wires to the unit... you need the posotive and ground.... and then the "Brake" wire you are supposed to connect to your hand brake..so you cannot watch video while driving... (if you ground that wire, you can watch while driving.. you cannot hold me responsible if you do that and cause any problems .....

as far as connecting to the video.. it is very easy to follow the directions... unplug one cord from the navi dvd unit in the trunk..and connect the wires from the av electronic unit to that...

the last thing is connecting the fm modulator.... i did not have it connected because i have read that people suggest getting your own modulator... but i dont know what to use... i will probably have circ city connect the av electronic fm modulator to the back of the navi screen... just so i can use the sound for now...

if you can get your power wires and the fm modulator wire through the car...then it should be no problem for you... but personally i wanted circ city to do it so i can blame somebody besides myself if something goes wrong...

ill post pictures of mine when its done in the next couple days.... i have their new unit which has one S-VIDEO input.... and 2 rca... the old version (whcih is listed on their web site) has 3 rca inputs....

hope that helps
Old 04-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Advanced

ok , So in theory all I need to play Dvd's is that one unit from them right?

So that one unti will also play TV as well,?
Old 04-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

ok , So in theory all I need to play Dvd's is that one unit from them right?

So that one unti will also play TV as well,?
well you need a dvd player to play dvds... .... and of course the dvds... haha

although, ill tell you... i looked into it...and to get a mobile dvd player... a decent one was between 150 and 200...

so i decided to spend the 400 on a computer instead...which will play dvds, mp3s, and just about anything else...
Old 04-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Yeh lol, I already have a Portable dvd player I use for travleling, I mean From that tuner you get, Does it comes with all the cables and parts needed to hook it up?
Old 04-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

yep... everything is included...

ohhh i forgot to mention... you also have to run the IR rcvr to the front of the car... so you can use the remote control that is included...... thats no big deal... small little unit... you can mount it anywhere you want... i had them mount it under the passangers feet..so its not visible...

also there is a physical switch that you can have mounted in the front..so you can turn off the unit... i had that installed...but i realized that you can also just use the button on the remote control ... although... if you get pulled over while driving..its probably easier to flip the switch to go back to the navi... so the cop doesnt give you a ticket.....
Old 04-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Advanced

thats cool, So Wehn you want movie on you just hit switch? then to go back to navi flip switch off..
Old 04-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

yep... or you can use the remote and hit the power button to go between navi and video...

but... assuming its wired correctly...(which it pretty much will be)... if you are watching a dvd and using the navi... the voice for the navi will mute the dvd and tell u the directions...but wont be displayed on the screen unless you flip the switch...

Old 04-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Nice ! well im a get it, just have to get it installed.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

.... tell him i sent you... i told him i would eventually tell some people to get it...

just so you know... i would suggest getting the s-video version... it has better picture quality than standard rca... and if you ever decide to put a comptuer in there you can.....

you can still convert the s-video to rca if you need it... it comes with the adapter.

did i mention that it includes 2 sets of antennae to watch tv (obviously just the local channels)... i was literally just using this.... depending how far you are from the towers that broadcast the signal, you can get good signal... i was rcving pretty good picture quality... but when you are driving... if you are driving under around 40mph... you will get picture... but not great... it will go in and out sometimes.... im sure if you are going on the highway you wont get any signal...

Old 04-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Does the S-video version cost more?
Old 04-24-2004, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Does the S-video version cost more?
yes... i believe it is $50 more...(dont quote me... im not sure)

if you ask me... its well worth it... but hey its up to you
Old 04-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Advanced

Ok so you had Circuit city do it? I will most likely do them to since they cover thier work..
Old 04-24-2004, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

yep... although... tell them specifically what you want done..so they dont screw around...

for example... when mounting the tuner box... my circ city put it ontop of the dvd drive for the navi... i do NOT suggest that... as it is VERY hard to get to...

i suggest having them use zip ties and attach it to the bottom of the navi drive... so you can easily add or remove devices in the future...

the switch for switching between navi and tuner - they mounted that underneat the drivers dash... if i had to do it over.. i would make them mount it next to the sunroof and VSA button...

the IR rcvr... is by the passanger door... underneeth the dash... i think that works great there... just because you dont want it sticking out in the middle of your console

since they are doing the install... i would let them hookup the reverse line..incase you decide to add a rear view camera in the future...

the yellow line for the brake - if they hook it up to your brake.. you cant use the tuner while driving.. if they ground it you can use it while driving... keep in mind that its illegel in most states if not all to have video in the view of the driver...again cant hold me responsible for anything

the tuner antennae... i dont know where to have those installed... i liked the look of the car without the radio antenna..but now i cant decide where to put these 4 antenna... (yes they give you 4...gives you a much better picture quality)

oh im probably missing something...but just ask if you come up with anything...

circ city charged me about 150 for the install... their internal code is
INS MOBILEVIDEO

you can tell them that other circ citys are doing it for that... but just get a quote from them first...
i trust them more than best buy... best buy screwed my civic and basically had to replace a lot of stuff... but it took them a while to do that....

if you want... i can call up avelectronic and talk to him and see if he will get me another one for a cheaper price for you? afterall i did literally JUST buy this one... less than a week ago...

oh also... you said you are using your dvd player... where are you going to mount it? if not a permanent mount.. i would have them run rca cables to the inside of your car somwhere so you can just attach and detach the dvd player as you want...

thats about it
Old 04-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Yeh thanks alor for the Info! I appreciatte it. yeh if you can get one cheaper thats great. yeh my Dvd player I use is a panasonic portable one. 7" screen.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

they are closed on the weekend, but i will call tomorrow and find out
Old 04-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Advanced

I hope you are not considering watching movies while you drive - I would bet it is illegal and of course it is not very bright. Your eyes should be on the road and scanning your mirrors not watching a DVD or reading. If cell phones are disstracting......DVD Hate to see you snash up a nice car like the TSX
Old 04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shorei
I hope you are not considering watching movies while you drive - I would bet it is illegal and of course it is not very bright. Your eyes should be on the road and scanning your mirrors not watching a DVD or reading. If cell phones are disstracting......DVD Hate to see you snash up a nice car like the TSX

that my friend has been discussed several times.... and im pretty sure we all know it would be stupid to watch and drive... especially going 70 on a highway... it would simply be begging to go to the hospital injured
Old 04-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

hi... i checked... no discounts unless you get several people to buy it he will give free shipping....

its $595 for the s-video version.... and $525 for the rca....

im having the fm modulator put in thursday or friday and the rear view cam.... ill post pictures if you want them...

Old 04-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Instructor

I know couple people who are selling the avelectronic for cheap.

quiksilver@teameurasia.com
He sells his "in brand new and never install condition" avelectronic nav/tv tuner for $425 + shipping. The guy needs to sell his car before he has a chance to install it. I was going to buy from him, but now I might have to sell my car too. Just want to help out another TSX owner (in this case, soon not to be TSX owner).

GarageAutomotive@aol.com
He did a groupbuy over at the MDX forums (www.acura-mdx.com i think). He is willing to do another groupbuy for 6 buyers on either avelectronic nav/tv tuner or avelectronic av switcher (the newer model) for $465 shipped. You guys can form a groupbuy and give him an email. Remember, you need 6 buyers.

I'm not related to either of these sellers, and I didnt get anything from them if they make the sale. I just know them when I'm looking to buy an avelectronic tuner. Therefore, I cant be hold reponsible for any bad transaction occur by either of these sellers. You do it as your own risk. Get all the answer you need before you make the payment. If you feel uncomfortable dealing with an unknown internet seller, buy your tuner at avelectronic.com for the full price. I'm just passing on the discount that I found on the internet. Good luck with your car!!!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

I still suggest the s-video...

im not getting anything either..... no kickbacks nothing... just a suggestion - i personally feel that the quality is better from the s-video...
Old 04-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

What happens if you put in a non-navi dvd in the navi system? I assume it's looking for a certain file and if it doesn't find it, it doesn't read the dvd.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

it says soemthing about a dvd read error...and to consult the dealer