Question about maintenance..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010 | 10:15 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Question about maintenance..

So I have the 2004 TSX with 86,000 miles on it, STOCK NO MODIFICATIONS..

I have followed the oil changes thoroughly. Now I wanted to know about the other fluids like Transmission and power steering. Do i need to get them flushed or can I just keep checking the levels and maintain them? Just wondering so I don't get problems later on. Same with all the other fluids.
Old 02-04-2010 | 10:38 PM
Racer

Technically you are supposed to follow the MID with the codes that correspond with the changes you need. I like to change out my fluids at 30K interval. I would follow the 3X3 method that Acura/Honda advises on the tranny fluid. Acura does NOT recommend flushing the tranny fluid. I would also change the coolant, brake and power steering fluid at this time. A lot of people keep the coolant fluid till 90K but since I am at it I change out all the fluids.
Old 02-05-2010 | 01:18 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by deepen03
So I have the 2004 TSX with 86,000 miles on it, STOCK NO MODIFICATIONS..

I have followed the oil changes thoroughly. Now I wanted to know about the other fluids like Transmission and power steering. Do i need to get them flushed or can I just keep checking the levels and maintain them? Just wondering so I don't get problems later on. Same with all the other fluids.
There are all kinds of threads on this subject; a search might be helpful. The service interval for the 04 is 10K miles (no MID in the 04 and 05 by the way), and the maintenance items that should be addressed at each 10K mile interval are I think in your owner's manual. With 86K miles, you probably should be thinking about changing all the fluids. You're overdue for a brake fluid change (time dependant, not mileage, as is the coolant). So transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant. If you're at all handy, you could probably do all but the brake fluid yourself. And don't feel too bad about being late on some of these items (you're not that late). Allot of people change the fluids other than the oil and filter (and those too for that matter) more often than necessary. It's a waste of material and money. The safe service life for pretty much all automotive fluids and lengthened dramatically with the newer fluid technology that's available now. I'd recommend sticking with Honda's service intervals and you should be all set.
Old 02-06-2010 | 12:42 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Simba91102
There are all kinds of threads on this subject; a search might be helpful. The service interval for the 04 is 10K miles (no MID in the 04 and 05 by the way), and the maintenance items that should be addressed at each 10K mile interval are I think in your owner's manual. With 86K miles, you probably should be thinking about changing all the fluids. You're overdue for a brake fluid change (time dependant, not mileage, as is the coolant). So transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant. If you're at all handy, you could probably do all but the brake fluid yourself. And don't feel too bad about being late on some of these items (you're not that late). Allot of people change the fluids other than the oil and filter (and those too for that matter) more often than necessary. It's a waste of material and money. The safe service life for pretty much all automotive fluids and lengthened dramatically with the newer fluid technology that's available now. I'd recommend sticking with Honda's service intervals and you should be all set.
So can I just add the new fluid into all those? Or do I get everything but the tranny fluid flushed?
Old 02-06-2010 | 12:48 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Power steering, brake fluid, and tranny fluid should all be changed out.