Question about Ipod Integration for TSX 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with the nav unit, i didnt have to remove the radio/display, im not sure for the double din radio... i followed these steps...

1. i took out the storage bin
2. i took out the center console cover (part with the heated seat switches)
3. i took out the "not an ashtray pocket"
4. i took out the center console.

Taking out the center console wasn't necessary to hook up the ipod adapter unit, i just took it out cause i ran my adapter through the center console bin, next to my additional power outlet. It took me about 2 hours hunting for screws and such, but it wasn't hard.

After getting the "not an ashtray pocket" out, hooking up the adapter is nearly fool proof and takes 2 minutes. To install the unit, i followed the following steps...

1. unplug the 14 pin connector from the factory head unit (located under the head unit towards the p/s of the car and the front of the car)
2. plug in the factory cable into the female end of the ipod adapter wiring harness
3. plug in the male end of the ipod adapter harness into the factory head unit.
4. Run the provided ipod cable from the ipod adapter to your ipod.
5. I mounted the usaspec adapter on top of the factory amp with two sided tape right behind the "not an ashtray pocket."

obviously, after that, i put it all back together. im telling you, fool proof. You can do it. Just keep track of screws and give yourself ample time and daylight.

-camelboy

here are the instructions i followed from the guys at integrationsolutions, who by the way, have amazing customer service on the phone. They answered all these kind of questions for me before i bought the level 4 unit from them. You won't be disappointed with their product.

http://integrationsolutions.net/EBAY...4-INSTALL.html
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
10th Gear

RMjames

your question is difficult to answer cause there are so many combinations. The answers to your questions are all a function of whether you have satelite radio, what level ipod adapter you buy, what kind of ipod you have, and whether you are running in "hybrid" or "direct" mode.

for example,

i have a 04 w/nav w/o satelitte. without satellite i could not get text from the ipod songs to display on my factory unit.

additionally, i bought a level 4 ipod adapter and ran it in direct mode, which charges the ipod, allows me to track fwd and back only through my headunit and steering wheel controls and does not lock out my ipod controls.

however, if i ran it in hybrid mode (which is the mode that allows you to have nearly full functionality through head unit) it would lock out my ipod controls (because of my ipod type, 6th gen classic)and i would have to make 6 playlists called Honda1 through Honda6. Then i would operate the playlists similar to the 6 disc changer through the head unit.

in direct mode, the text display on my nav unit just reads cd-6, track xx.

I know this is confusing, but spend some time reading the website link below and the links. when you get confused, call the guys at integration solutions who are unbelievably helpful. All i can say is that I am very happy with their product. it doesn't integrate flawlessly with the factory headunit, but it is still so awesome. i basically, just keep my ipod in my center console, put it on shuffle and track fwd and back with my steering wheel controls. if i want to listen to a playlist, or a specific artist, i just pull out my ipod and change it, put it back in my center console (sometimes i lay it in the "not an ashtray") and just track fwd and back with the steering wheel controls. It charges the ipod, turns it off when the car turns off and it even continues play in the same place of a song when the power is shut off and later shut back on.

i have no affiliation with integrationsolutions, but i wanted an adapter like this for a while, i did a lot of research and i am thrilled with the results... and it is very competitively priced.

http://integrationsolutions.net/

first click enter, then click on the link that says what is the best ipod adapter, get to know about the different levels, decide which one you want, search for that level adapter on the site and it will lead you to an ebay auction, read all the links in the ebay auction and call them if you have any questions. i assure you, you will be satisfied.

-camelboy
Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmjames007
Here are 2 questions
Does the USA Spec display ipod information on the headunit of the car?

Do you have to create special playlists for the USA Spec to work? Thanks

It does not show song text on the head unit. It will just show you a track number much like a CD. You also don't need to set up any special playlists unless you want to.

I just have mine in hybrid mode because I can find the songs I want much faster on the ipod interface then I could on any head unit. I usually just have it randomly play either my entire library or my latest playlists which I navigate to manually on the ipod itself. It is fast and once I have it on the desired playlist I can skip songs I dont want to listen to with the steering wheel controls. Works well for my needs and has been rock solid.

As far as installation I actually made a loose knot in the cable before I pulled it through the storage tray (I drilled a hole in the tray) so no one would accidentally pull the cable too far and have it come loose from the stereo unit. I just keep my ipod in the storage tray so the installation was incredibly easy.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
camelboy

I have a iPod video and it initially did not work but I actually found a way to downgrade the ipod software on my ipod which made it work flawlessly in hybrid mode. I do not know if you can do that for the 6th generation but It did work for me
Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ofusball21
camelboy

I have a iPod video and it initially did not work but I actually found a way to downgrade the ipod software on my ipod which made it work flawlessly in hybrid mode. I do not know if you can do that for the 6th generation but It did work for me

thanks, but i honestly don't think i even want to use it in hybrid mode... i like the organization that the ipod offers... i am perfectly happy with the use in direct mode... thanks though.

-cb
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 PM
10th Gear

i know this is a dumb question, but is there anyway to play the video through the screen?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Advanced

I like to ask if the USASPEC re-charge while i'm using itouch(i know it will charge on ipod). Also, will the steering wheel control still work?

thank you
Old 09-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Hybrid

USA Spec is what I used and have been very happy with it. Here are pics from my install:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hiptech/...erfaceInstall#