question about the Driver information display (06)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about the Driver information display (06)

hey, have any of you 06 owners noticed this?

you know that you can set the default meter to read the average and instant MPG in the information display right?
how come every time i start my car it always defaults to a blank screen untill i use the HF link or press the "i" button?

according to the owners manuel its supposed to always default to the meter display you choose.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it only does the power-on default for the bottom screen (odo, temp, tripA, tripB), and just powers on to whatever screen you were on last. I usually keep the top screen blank myself (only checking mpg / remaining when I need to) so I've never tried to get that to default to anything but blank. I do know the bottom screen turns on to wherever I last left it, which is optimal behavior for me.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic

you know that you can set the default meter to read the average and instant MPG in the information display right?
how come every time i start my car it always defaults to a blank screen untill i use the HF link or press the "i" button?

according to the owners manuel its supposed to always default to the meter display you choose.
I have noticed the same thing (I would like it to default to the MPG). The manual also states you should be able to cycle to the HFL display by pressing "i", but I can't get that to work either. I can only see my cell reception when I actually press the button for HFL.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Advanced

What else is interesting. If the trip computer is off and I forget to put my seatbelt on and the "please fasten seatbelt" message shows up in the center screen....when its done beeping and showing the message my trip computer is on.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Instructor

I seem to remember Jeff from T.O.V. posting about this very thing. It always will start blank when you start the car. But by going through the customization steps in the MID you can change which data screen will load first when you push the "i" button.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

You definitly can't cycle to HFL with the i button. I don't recall reading that you could either...
Old 03-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

i read in the manuel that you could display the HFL and personally of all the displays i would prefer that. it would be nice to know if you have the signal to make a call before you dial.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
6MT or Death

i read in the manuel that you could display the HFL and personally of all the displays i would prefer that. it would be nice to know if you have the signal to make a call before you dial.
If you click the HFL button (top phone button on the left side of the wheel) the display shows. Of course remember when the HFL is active the radio is silenced. Every once in awhile when I want to find out how many bars I have I'll hit the top HFL button, check my signal strength then either make my call or hit the end button.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Get a better cell carrier
Old 03-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reach
Get a better cell carrier
im in a 2 year with cingular sme of the best service in the state.
on that note i just dropped another 4 bills on a new phone. my sony ericsson s710a didnt seem to work very well with the HFL. additionally it is listed as one of the phones not compatable with the HFL on acuras site.
they are testing the sony w600i and dont have any stats on it yet, but so far its working perfectly. only had it 24 hours though so we shall see.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Still Lovin my 06

ouch

4 bills on a phone. ouch. i hope the thing does more than standard features in your pocket.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Yep, that's the Walkman phone, its had great reviews, mostly as a great phone, even though its mp3 stuff is a little limited. Still, its a nice cross-functional piece. Not worth my 4 bills, but maybe a value-add to someone else.

Just think, he's got his cell wire-free from the car now, but now he needs to plug it in to the aux jack so he can listen to some tunes while driving! Just another example of how you can never really 'unplug'.

I've heard its bluetooth compatibility is excellent and it pairs with anything. I imagine it will work well with HFL.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Instructor

You definitly can't cycle to HFL with the i button. I don't recall reading that you could either...
Pg. 213 of the Owners' Manual (it is in the HFL section as opposed to the MID section). It states that you can get the HFL display by either operating the HFL or using the "i" button.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep, that's the Walkman phone, its had great reviews, mostly as a great phone, even though its mp3 stuff is a little limited. Still, its a nice cross-functional piece. Not worth my 4 bills, but maybe a value-add to someone else.

Just think, he's got his cell wire-free from the car now, but now he needs to plug it in to the aux jack so he can listen to some tunes while driving! Just another example of how you can never really 'unplug'.

I've heard its bluetooth compatibility is excellent and it pairs with anything. I imagine it will work well with HFL.
actually one of the reasons i wanted this phone is because of the autio out and the fact it can play mp3's i plan to use it on my motorcycle so i can answer the phone without touching anything and at the same time have a FM radio and mp3's to listen to.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Out n about

Yeah, mine always starts with a blank screen....so one of the things I do everytime I start my car is:
1) push the "i" button
2) push the OK on the nag screen

I know you can make certain customizations, but it can only go so far.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:50 PM
vsx

solution for canadian 06 TSX

After playing with my new Canadian 06 TSX for about a month, I finally figured out how I can get the MID to come on semi-automatically; however, you will have to start the car in a certain way everytime, so it's really a matter of just making it a habit to do things in this order. I'm not sure whether this will work for the US version since I don't have one to test out but here goes:

1) Put key into ignition and start the car right away without allowing the key to stay in the ACC position. If you want to leave the key in the ACC position before starting your car, just make sure you start the engine before the 3rd beep sounds.

2) Wait until the DRL status comes on. Do not, I repeat do not release the hand brake before the DRL display comes on. In order to kill some of the wait time, you can put on your seat belt.

3) Now, after the DRL comes on, release the hand brake and the MID should come on the way you left it.

Again, you just have to make it a habit to do things this way. It kinda sucks that you have to do this, but it works. After starting your car like this a few times, you won't even notice it.

Hope this helps you guys out there!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

^^^ That's what I usually do. Start engine, put on seatbelt, pull out mp3 player, drive off. On the rare occasion, it will still show a blank MID, but most of the time it's where I left it.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:26 PM
TSX4EVR

Mine comes on most of the time and when it doesn't, I just hit the i button. It's no biggie for me.

I don't do anything special to get it to come on most of the time. I just start the TSX, fasten the seat belt and sometimes get the ipod going and then head off.

I rarely ever use my parking brake, as at night I park in my level garage and my parking spot at work is also level.

Excited