Question about the Automatic TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the Automatic TSX

Hello. I'm new here but I've been browsing through many topics on this site over the past few days to learn about the TSX.

Right now I am driving a four cylinder 2003 Toyota Camry SE. I'm currently looking forward to buying (or more like financing) one. I've done plenty of research and read enough reviews to cite quite a few things. The only thing that's left for me to do is see for myself (test drive) but I won't be able to do that yet due to working 7 days a week.

I heard a lot of praises about the TSX and I'm very excited to try it out but... all of them are related to the manual transmission. As I read the topics in this board, most of you also drives manual >_<. I just want to know... how is the automatic transmission like? "getting to shift" aside, is it still as fun of a car to drive? I can't drive stick nor am I allowed to buy stick (all obvious reasons apply) so I want some opinions on how the automatic version is like.

Would this car impressed me in terms of driving performance if I've only been driving a camry? I compared both specs... TSX weighs more O_O; and has 2-3 lbs more torque and some 40+ more HP. Obviously these number probably don't mean anything to the real driving experience. I do wish i have the time to drive it at the dealership T_T

Okay. Last question. Should I add the A-spec package (bodykit and all) to the TSX when I actually do buy the car? Does anyone know how much it would cost to get it from the dealership? I heard the package was like $4500 not including installation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I live in Portland, OR by the way ^_^;
Old 04-10-2007, 01:56 AM
O.o

i drive an automatic and i think that its a VERY fun car
Old 04-10-2007, 01:57 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by Zyuan10
Hello. I'm new here but I've been browsing through many topics on this site over the past few days to learn about the TSX.

Right now I am driving a four cylinder 2003 Toyota Camry SE. I'm currently looking forward to buying (or more like financing) one. I've done plenty of research and read enough reviews to cite quite a few things. The only thing that's left for me to do is see for myself (test drive) but I won't be able to do that yet due to working 7 days a week.

I heard a lot of praises about the TSX and I'm very excited to try it out but... all of them are related to the manual transmission. As I read the topics in this board, most of you also drives manual >_<. I just want to know... how is the automatic transmission like? "getting to shift" aside, is it still as fun of a car to drive? I can't drive stick nor am I allowed to buy stick (all obvious reasons apply) so I want some opinions on how the automatic version is like.

Would this car impressed me in terms of driving performance if I've only been driving a camry? I compared both specs... TSX weighs more O_O; and has 2-3 lbs more torque and some 40+ more HP. Obviously these number probably don't mean anything to the real driving experience. I do wish i have the time to drive it at the dealership T_T

Okay. Last question. Should I add the A-spec package (bodykit and all) to the TSX when I actually do buy the car? Does anyone know how much it would cost to get it from the dealership? I heard the package was like $4500 not including installation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I live in Portland, OR by the way ^_^;
I like my 5AT TSX quite a bit. There are lots of faster cars out there, but the TSX would have a six in it if it were meant for a lot speed. The manual shift is fun to use every once in a while for on-ramps especially, not that it's needed, but it's handy at times. If you're not a speed demon, the increased power over the Camry will make you smile more than you think it will. At least it does for me. My favorite way to use the power is at crusing speed on the freeway when I need to pass and get into the next lane. Punch the gas and the shift from fifith, fourth into third gear makes you feel as if you have a six. If you try this, you'll see what I mean. A quick look in the rear view mirror will show you some cars behind you looking smaller and smaller faster than you might think a four cylinder will perform for you.

Obviously there's less power than a TL, but in exchange you get better handling and I think, cleaner and more distintive styling. With gas prices the way they are, the extra mpgs are helpful too.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an auto rental for a day. it wasn't terrible, but not really as fun as my 6-speed. the auto isn't nearly as rev happy. but playing with the auto-stick was a little fun.

the only advantage I would see in getting the auto is fuel mileage. on the highway at 80mph I believe the auto sat at 2500 rpms whereas my manual sits at 3500 rpms.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Driving it yourself is obviously the best way to find out, but my AT works just fine for me and is a very fun car to drive. I've been in a Camry but not driven one so I don't have a comparison for you on driving dynamics. Get out there soon and go for a test drive!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its not that the AT is bad, its just that the MT tranny on the TSX is one of the best out there. There is almost unanimous praise for its feel.

My AT is fine for everyday driving. It has plenty of power and the Sport Shift mode comes in handy if you want to control the revs yourself.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
My other daily driver is a 4 cyl Accord LX 4AT, very similar to your Camry in size, weigh, power and acceleration. My Accord feels like I’m pulling an 800 lbs trailer all the time compared to the TSX. The torque is very close in both Accord/TSX but the extra gear and higher HP makes the TSX feel and accelerate a lot stronger. I even get better overall gas mileage compared to my Accord because I’m not pushing the Acura as hard to get up to speed. Coming from a Camry to a TSX, you will be very impressed with the fit, finish, luxury, and handling of the Acura. If you are use to a V-6, the TSX will disappoint you with the lack of torque in the mid-range rpms. I wanted the TSX because 95% of the time I need only I-4 power and economy.

Depending if you are at a dealership or stealership, sometimes you can get a pretty good deal. I was able to get the total price for parts and installation to $1,780 for (not sure about the individual break down for each item):
- full OEM body kit
- wing spoiler
- metal trim kit
- sun roof visor
- OEM cargo net (I purchased on-line and they installed)
- door edge guard
- pin stripe
- mud flaps (had to remove to add body kit)

Everything is covered by the 4yr/50,000 mile warranty since the items are all dealer installed. I just purchased the A-spec suspension a few weeks ago on a group buy for $575 shipped. I purchase aftermarket rims at time of purchase last year.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE=Zyuan10]I just want to know... how is the automatic transmission like? "getting to shift" aside, is it still as fun of a car to drive? I can't drive stick nor am I allowed to buy stick (all obvious reasons apply) so I want some opinions on how the automatic version is like.

Would this car impressed me in terms of driving performance if I've only been driving a camry? [QUOTE]

Due to a bad accident last year I couldn't shift our manual transmission cars for a couple of months, so we decided to add an auto to our fleet. It will never be as much fun to drive as a MT, especially one as smooth as the TSX's 6 speed. But you will still love the rock solid feel and the handling. And as auto trannies go, the TSX's is excellent.

Every time I go by a Toyota lot I have the impression that Toyota ground off every interesting bit of their cars to make them as much like a pair sensible shoes as possible. I think you'll definitely be impressed versus your Camry.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Instructor

I have the Auto because I live in Houston and we have horrible traffic. If I were in a less crowded place where I didn't have to ride the clutch all day I would have got a 6 speed for sure! I am however happy with the auto.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 AM
08 MDX with Sports

auto does 80mpgs around 2500rpm? wowzer!

anyways if you have the option to get 6speed and yes traffic suckit and takes the funn out of driving but I would do it..
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Race Director

Auto is good, but slow. We all knew that though.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Pro

While the MT is recommended, the AT is great, especially if you drive in traffic most of the time. It's also still lots of fun and not slow at all (everything is relative, people!), especially in sport shift mode - which takes some practice to get the hang of. Mind you, I would not describe the TSX, MT or AT as "fast".

The Camry is a great commuter car and the gearing is designed for it with plenty of power down low even for a 4 cyl. Moving from Toyota to Honda, you'll need to get used to revving the engine higher and not worrying about it because Honda's 4cyl engines LOVE to rev. Of course, the TSX being heavy, can slurp down gas pretty fast if you drive it like a sports sedan; I like the dual nature of the TSX - you can drive it gently and it is a pleasant drive and reasonably economical or you can flog the bastard and make it sing.

Moving from an AT to an AT you'll still appreciate how much better the TSX's AT transmission is - esp sport shift. If you were moving from an MT to the AT, I'd recommend not doing so. If you're seriously considering an MT and don't mind the potential hassles/don't commute in heavy traffic all the time (having been to Portland enough I know you certainly get lots of traffic, but do you commute in it?), then by all means, get the MT!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

^^ a blast from the past. vito
Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Racer

i have 5AT as well.. sure a manual would have been great, but it can also be a huge PITA when this is your only car and you have to deal with traffic and crap.

however, i use S-S mode 99% of the time anyways, flip it over to D when i'm on the phone.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree with the general comments here, the 6MT of the TSX is praised for being an excellent manual option, but the AT is no slouch in comparison either. It is a very smooth 5 speed. I've drive Honda 4AT transmissions before (civic, 02 accord v6) and never liked the feel, but the TSX's 5AT provides a competent shift in the right place in the rev range. I do not very often feel like I wished it would shift in a different place. That (to me) is the biggest thing to look for when test driving an AT... does the shift feel natural to you, or forced (too early)?

Test drive and decide for yourself. I did, and I drove away with a TSX.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Highly recommend you do a test drive first....the 6 spd manual is great but I went with the 5spd AT since after a hard days work I don't want to row it when caught in traffic. Occassional trips to Vegas and when you're driving in the strip at night, traffic is a killer down there.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Pro

haha well dude, the tsx may not be the ultimate performance car but when comparing it to a camry it handles like a dream. I think it's a fun car, steering and throttle is responsive... has a kick to it... much beter than a camry IMO and regarding the A-spec kit... if it floats your boat why not.. doesn't make your car perform any better but if you like the way it looks than its all you
Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jlukja
^^ a blast from the past. vito
hi! yes, I'm still hangin' 'round... can't get rid of me that easy.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Auto is good, but slow. We all knew that though.
Auto is good, but slow?
so how much faster is the MT ?
if you were to compare those two trannies so seriously and consider manual for speed, why buy a TSX, get a slightly used S2000 for more speed.

other than that, it's not all about going fast to have a manual tranny.
TSX's 6MT is fun to drive, and it's mainly very well-engineered to match with our engine and speed. and in fact, as you all know, it is one of the best.

5AT is also very well made, and i say this after doing numerous comparisons testdriving, that if you were to ask about the responsiveness of sport shift (sequential manual shifting on automatic) , i was surprised by the quick response of the tsx's 5AT (significantly compared to IS250 paddleshift, Mercedes C230 auto-manual shift, and G35 auto-manual gearshift)

i'm not sure about 80mph at 2500rpm, but 5AT does 2400rpm at 70mph.

when comparing Manual and Auto on ANY CAR, the discussion becomes endless.
my point is that among manual tranny cars, TSX 6MT is one of the best, very good
And among automatic tranny cars, TSX 5AT stands out for sure.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Advanced

My 5AT is about 3 days old and I love it. There are so many buttons and gadgets (NAV, MID, bluetooth, etc.) that if I had to shift gears as well I would be F'd! I can only imagine how fun the 6MT is though... Anyone want to trade for a week!?

I drive a 5 speed manual jeep wrangler in the summer with the TSX so I get my manual fix.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Oh yeah, I forgot to add - the sportshift is the best I've ever driven. Many "manumatic" transmissions will shift for you too quickly. This one really lets you hit those VTEC rpm's!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I love my 5AT. No doubt.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I like to shift as much as the next guy but went with the auto for many of reasons already mentioned here. One factor that hasn't been mentioned may or may not be important to you (it is to me) and that's resale. Remember that the members of this forum are a very small minority of TSX owners/drivers and although it may not seem so from what's discussed here, automatic models outsell the manual by a wide margin. I change cars often so resale is always an issue (that goes for A-spec too; it will narrow your audience when it's time to sell and you'd get a small percentage of your investmant back if anything. Basically, it would hurt more than help). That said, if you plan on keeping the car long term and don't care too much about the negatives of the things I mentioned, then go for whatever works best for you.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I like to shift as much as the next guy but went with the auto for many of reasons already mentioned here. One factor that hasn't been mentioned may or may not be important to you (it is to me) and that's resale. Remember that the members of this forum are a very small minority of TSX owners/drivers and although it may not seem so from what's discussed here, automatic models outsell the manual by a wide margin. I change cars often so resale is always an issue (that goes for A-spec too; it will narrow your audience when it's time to sell and you'd get a small percentage of your investmant back if anything. Basically, it would hurt more than help). That said, if you plan on keeping the car long term and don't care too much about the negatives of the things I mentioned, then go for whatever works best for you.
Although I agree with what you are saying here, I'm not big on emphasizing resale above all else. For example, I bought the NAV and absolutely love it. Its just a great feature to have. But, I'd guess that, in the end, NAV will not retain its value as well as the base model (because new and sexier electronic gizmos will be out by the time I sell). However, I see no reason to buy a car I'd enjoy less for a few years just because it will retain its value better.

Think about resale value - yes. But, get what you want first and foremost.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by darth62
Although I agree with what you are saying here, I'm not big on emphasizing resale above all else. For example, I bought the NAV and absolutely love it. Its just a great feature to have. But, I'd guess that, in the end, NAV will not retain its value as well as the base model (because new and sexier electronic gizmos will be out by the time I sell). However, I see no reason to buy a car I'd enjoy less for a few years just because it will retain its value better.

Resale value is an important factor, but the issue of primary importance is functionality on a daily basis. Enjoying what you drive is just about the most important aspect to owning a car. It's up there with reliability and affordability.

There's also the justification to point at people on the road and laugh at them for not buying a TSX (just kidding!) Switching topics to the NAV. I chose the base model due to an economic reason primarily. The other reason was actually functional. I didn't want to deal with acknowledging the legal agreement every time I started the car. Maybe there's a way to disable this feature, but the way to do this is not common knowledge. Also, I knew that the NAV controls are integrated with the audio and climate controls which I didn't like. Finally, I've heard only positive comments on the NAV in the TSX, but with more technology, there's a chance for things to go wrong with the corresponding cost of fixing the technology. Maybe it's me justifying my decision to pass up the NAV, but the car has enough technology on the base model to keep me happy. About once a month, I think to myself, maybe the NAV would have been useful, but that's only been a handful of times since I've had the car. One last thing is that the NAV interface has been described as slightly dated and this aspect is only going to become more dated as time goes by. Unfortunately for me, the interface of something I use is extremely important. Just take a look at the gauges and the MID on the TSX. Those are some top notch displays that don't take a back seat to anything out there. Anyway, having obviously dated technology is no fun, although most cars are all about technology and engineering so eventually, whatever you drive no matter how advanced the car is when you buy it, will eventually become obsolete in a few short years.

Maybe the best approach is the one I take with computers and other technology. First of all, decide what you like, then, buy as much technology as you can afford and hold on to it as long as the technology is useful for you in the way you need it. This way, you're spending your money when you need to and when you don't need to, you're happy with what you have until the time comes to repeat the buy and hold cycle.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
i think the handling will be improved versus the camry but i was quite shocked to hear the camry is lighter than the TSX but the extra power should offset that. camry is a midsize and the TSX is a compact right?
for the comment about rev happy hondas, its true. i used to drive a old (1992) camry and i would never go over 4k rpm, even when driving fast. (except last week when i hit 5K a few times to burn out some junk). with my CL, i would it 6k, but i prob shouldnt because i want to have my engine last. but it is definatly easier to get to 6k in a acura then 4k in a toyota. but thats just my experience, and i am driving cars completely different than what your talking about.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:45 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62

I fully agree with buying what you want being the number one priority. I raised the resale issue only as a reminder to consider throwing it into the mix. I realize I may be overly sensitive about, but that's because I've been burned (badly at least once) by buying something that I really wanted but couldn't give it away when the time came to sell it. Oh, and don't feel bad about the Nav.; although I think the $2K premium is outrageous, I'm sure it's the right move for resale (although I can't bring myself to pay it. I'm in public safety, and I'm in the habit of never leaving the house without knowing where I'm going. My idea of navigation is a $5 map from Wal-Mart, but I'm an old guy).
Old 04-14-2007, 08:42 AM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

I have a Camry and a TSX. Before 3000rpm the L4 Camry and the V6 Camry feel the same, that's how good the low end on the L4 Camry is....the L4 Honda's do not give you that kind of torque. But considering you thinking of getting more sporty, you probably don't mind getting into the 3000-3500rpm range where the TSX L4 is as good as the L4 Camry....after that the L4 Honda's are better than the L4 Toyotas. Handling, not even close. You need to accept a harsher ride over small road cracks with the TSX in exchange for having the control of a driver (TSX) and not an appliance operator (Camry). I have the 5AT TSX, its good on fuel, when you need to go it will move and the tranny is as smooth, marginally smoother than the Camry auto which is also a good tranny. Your paying more for handling and steering control and somewhat for the engine at higher rpms. Fit and finish is marginally better in the TSX but material quality is alot better.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced

For the AT drivers: does the AT properly rev-match when downshifting in manumatic mode? Has anyone gone from driving a fun MT to the AT and been disappointed? Or not?

I'm really torn between getting my TSX with a 6MT or the 5AT. The wife still can't drive my RSX-S, and her car* is really not a lot of fun on long trips, so I do -all- the driving. Then I'm out and I do a heel-toe downshift -- without noticing -- and I wonder why I want to get an automatic...

As to resale, I stopped worrying about it when one of my cars was backed into by a pickup truck with a salt spreader on the back. It instantly took the $7K left in the car to around $500. I got a check from their insurance for $3.5, but it was still disheartening. Do not forget that some fool driving an ancient Chevy, talking on the phone, and with no insurance, can render your 30K into pocket change in less than a second.

--W

* A Toyota Echo. A fantastic car for a 15K econobox; I have no regrets about buying it. For an in-town, short-trip car it's perfect (and it's parkability is wonderful). Highway driving, however, with its high roofline, high profile, and featherweight body, is not confidence-inspiring. C&D said "it finds curves that aren't there."
Old 04-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced

The 5AT doesn't rev-match on downshifts. I have no regrets about getting it but if you're undecided I would get the 6 speed.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Racer

depends on your expectation... I personal love the stick but stupid enough to get the 5 spd auto for comfort reason.... tranny is not as great as DSP on Audi or Bimmer but silky enough for a smooth ride... road handling is great..... fun ride w/ no doubt.... if you are willing to spend time to learn stick will be the ideal... for comfort wise... 5 spd is still responsive enough. Have fun w. the ride on TSX!!! After all, 5 spd AT is still a great ride w/ no 2nd through
Old 04-17-2007, 02:13 AM
Racer

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I appreciate the info.

My driving style is VERY boring but I think it's the most efficient if I make 1 hour round trips every day (26 miles round trip). I keep my RPM below or at 2000 in my Camry the entire time >_>;

Yea that's right... below/at 2000 RPM. I don't push it nor did the roads called for any power and I can still easily reach 40-50 mph but cars behind me always change lane and dart pass me xD

So yea... I think I'll have fun with the TSX (worst case scenario, I won't notice any diffference).

Now about the A-Spec kit from the dealer... do they still include the A-Spec badge on your car?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Team Owner

below 2000? Wow, I think I'm going easy on it when I keep mine under 3000. LOL
Old 04-17-2007, 10:30 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Now about the A-Spec kit from the dealer... do they still include the A-Spec badge on your car?
You could purchase the badge seperately for about $20

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...spagenameZWD1V.

The biggest costs are the a-spec rims, paying retail $$ for parts at the Acura dealership and the labor cost for installation at Acura.

These are prices from the Acura web site:
A-spec badge: $20
Rims, 17 or 18 inch: $1600- $2400
Spoiler: $600
Front spoiler: $355
Rear spoiler: $355
Side spoiler: $450
A-spec suspension: $850

You can get a TL for almost the same price of a TSX with full A-spec
Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
since I do not have to deal with much conjested traffic I love my 6spd tsx. They both have their good and bad points. test drive both of them and decide which one is better for your needs. I would recommend the nav. either way. good luck they are excellant cars, IMO
Old 04-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Pro

My driving style is VERY boring but I think it's the most efficient if I make 1 hour round trips every day (26 miles round trip). I keep my RPM below or at 2000 in my Camry the entire time >_>;

Yea that's right... below/at 2000 RPM. I don't push it nor did the roads called for any power and I can still easily reach 40-50 mph but cars behind me always change lane and dart pass me xD

So yea... I think I'll have fun with the TSX (worst case scenario, I won't notice any diffference).

I haven't seen a comparison of torque curves, but, having driven a 4cyl camry for a week as a loaner car after being rear-ended in my TSX, I'm guessing you will NEED to rev the TSX at least 500rpm higher to get similar power down low (there's zero comparison as the revs climb between the cars in terms of driving dynamics and enjoyment). The cars are different and aimed at different market segments; the TSX begs to be driven... and while I was driving the camry i was ready to beg to get the TSX back! :-P

To me, there's more similarity between the camry and the TL than with the TSX, disregarding price, of course.

(hi jlukja - yes, i'm still lurking about)
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Advanced

If you really drive like what you said, I think you will be better off buying an Accord EX. It has more room, smoother ride, and costs $4-5K less.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:37 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,117 Likes on 801 Posts
Auto FTW

A-Spec won't do much for you based on the description of your daily drive.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts

everyone might think im crazy but i keep my CL-S at/below 2500 RPM. its better on the fuel economy, but i do have a sprinted accel a few times each month. i can see the guage drop one "line" after a sprint.
if you want something sportier then go with the TSX but if you want the room compared to your camry then go with the accord or maybe get another camry. i dont know why you would go away from a camry, unless your looking for something more fun.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Racer

You're right. I'm looking for something more fun and less plain. I can fall asleep driving the camry sometimes >_>;