Pushrods Vs Over Head Cam Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 08:22 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Pushrods Vs Over Head Cam Engines

Pushrods vs overhead cams - which is better?
by Jim Kerr

There have been many engine designs over the years, from K-Cycle to Rotary, but two designs have endured; pushrod engines and overhead camshaft engines. There are advantages and disadvantages of both designs, so which is better? Let's take a look and you can decide.

Pushrod engines are the simplest design. A camshaft in the engine block moves the lifters, which transfer the movement to the pushrods. Pushrods are slim metal tubes with rounded ends that pass through holes in the cylinder block and head and move the rocker arms. The rocker arms are like a teeter-totter, changing the direction of movement and pushing down on the valves and valve springs. When the camshaft rotates, the lifter and all the connecting parts move up and down, opening and closing the valves. It sounds like there is a lot going on, and this is supposed to be simple! It is when compared to overhead camshaft designs.

Overhead camshaft engines use one or two camshafts per cylinder head. If one camshaft is used, it is often referred to as a SOHC or single overhead camshaft engine. DOHC of double overhead camshaft engines allow the designer to vary camshaft timing for the intake and exhaust valves separately because one camshaft operates the intake valves while the other operates the exhaust valves.

Some overhead camshafts push directly on a "bucket" (an inverted cup) that in turn pushes the valve open. Other designs have the camshaft move a rocker arm that then pushes on the valve. This type of rocker arm doesn't change the direction of movement but because of its leverage, it does increase the movement at the valve end. There are even overhead camshaft engines that use pushrods too, but these pushrods are very short and don't pass through the engine block or cylinder head casting.

The complexity of overhead camshaft engines comes in the drive mechanism used to turn the camshafts. While pushrod engines can use gears or short chains because the camshaft is close to the crankshaft, overhead camshaft engines typically use long roller chains for each bank or a single toothed timing belt. These long drive systems may require hydraulic tensioners, guide plates, idler pulleys and complex covers to complete the drive system. Because all this drive system must be disconnected before a cylinder head can be removed, they are also much more complex when performing major engine work.
Timing belts used to be the most common drive mechanism but roller timing chains are gaining favour again. Roller chains last longer, are contained inside sealed covers so they are quieter and they are narrower than a timing belt. A narrower camshaft drive enables engineers to make the engine shorter so it will fit in tighter engine compartments.

So it would seem the pushrod engine wins because it is simpler, but there are drawbacks. The more an engine "breathes" (gets air in and exhaust out) the more power it can develop. Cylinder head ports or passages on pushrod engines are always a compromise because the ports have to be placed to allow room for pushrods to pass though the head. Airflow may not be optimum.

There are also more parts to move when the valve opens. The weight of pushrods, rocker arms and lifters has inertia at higher rpms so they may start to bounce and the valves "float". Valve float is when the valves don't close properly and the engine misfires. Engine power drops immediately and a piston may hit a valve, bending it. Severe engine damage could occur. Redlines on vehicle tachometers are there to help prevent valve float.

Overhead camshaft engines have fewer and lighter valvetrain components to move. This allows the engine to have a higher redline before valve float occurs. The faster an engine turns, the more power it can develop in a given time. Another advantage is that cylinder head passages can be placed for the best airflow. Holes for the pushrods are not required, although oil drainback holes will be cast in places where they don't interfere with airflow.

Overhead camshaft engines can produce higher performance but typically cost more to build. Pushrod engines are cheaper to build and work on. Many engines use overhead camshaft designs because the optimum cylinder head design allows for increased fuel economy and performance too. Most high performance vehicles are using overhead camshaft designs but then Corvette comes along again with their pushrod V8. Thirty-five miles per gallon and four hundred horsepower out of a pushrod engine show they can't be that bad!
Looks like pushrods are on their way back, although they never really left the GM lineup. I Mean how can you argue with the Vette engine or the Hemi?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting article domn. Engine design has always been fascinating to me.

Engineers:

Assuming you eliminated valve float completely via a radical new valve design, what would be the next limiting factor to a really high reving four stroke? I've seen R/C two strokes that can reach 40,000RPM and the best four stroke I've seen is around half that (F1 cars).
Old 04-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The main reason that the Vette uses the pushrod is that an engine like the Northstar V8 or any other DOHC would not fit under the low hood!!! And I seriously doubt anyone gets 35 mpg out of a Vette.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by biker
I seriously doubt anyone gets 35 mpg out of a Vette.
Sure you can, just find a long hill and turn the engine off! :P

I love the new C6 but I would be disappointed in myself if I got over 10mpg when I'm behind the wheel.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by biker
The main reason that the Vette uses the pushrod is that an engine like the Northstar V8 or any other DOHC would not fit under the low hood!!! And I seriously doubt anyone gets 35 mpg out of a Vette.
You've been reading this month Car and Driver biker? There's a similar article, actually alot better than this one.

Size is definently a factor but you think thats the only reason? I'm sure it was also easier for them to extract more power from a pushrod among other things. And is'nt the pushrod shorter in length only, not nessesarily in height? Or do I have things backwards?

Although I agree you probly won't get 35MPG from the 5.7, it still has very respectable fuel economy for a 405HP car.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't buy the low hood arguement... plus you could build a smaller engine using overhead cams that would produce the same hp.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
GM only has a few V8 that are deemed OK for the Vette. The Northstar is just too tall - the OVC layout adds too much height. Yes there are other V8s that would be low enough - but it's not in the GM parts bin!
Old 04-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Dan Martin

Engineers:

Assuming you eliminated valve float completely via a radical new valve design, what would be the next limiting factor to a really high reving four stroke? I've seen R/C two strokes that can reach 40,000RPM and the best four stroke I've seen is around half that (F1 cars).
Good ol' strength of materials. The piston crowns really start to yank on the con-rods at high RPMs. You'll break a wrist pin or something. The R/C engine is tiny, so the forces aren't nearly as big which allows the astronomical redline. The interesting thing about engines is that they all have about the same average piston speed (proportional to 2*RPM*stroke). Check it out.

Also if you go too fast, the burn rate can't keep up with the mechanical speeds. Then you're in a situation where you're dumping fuel out the exhaust that didn't get burned (lost power).
Old 04-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Photography Nerd

Thanks clutch! Sounds like we need a 4 stroke with an afterburner...
Old 04-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ClutchPerformer

Good ol' strength of materials. The piston crowns really start to yank on the con-rods at high RPMs. You'll break a wrist pin or something. The R/C engine is tiny, so the forces aren't nearly as big which allows the astronomical redline. The interesting thing about engines is that they all have about the same average piston speed (proportional to 2*RPM*stroke). Check it out.
I believe it was Renault that released some actual specific measurements of their '03 F1 engine during the Winter. The maximum piston acceleration was listed as 10,000g.

Also in the Ferrari book I'm reading, they emphasized several times over how much effort goes into friction reduction. Shell is even directly involved in the engine design so that the oil provides the required lubrication with the minimal amount of drag.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:39 PM
9th Gear

The 05 Vette is a 6.0L LS2.

I get over 30 mpg in my 2000 Camaro that has a 5.7L LS1. They get away with it because a V8 makes so much torque at lower RPMs. In 6th gear at 80mph, I'm only turning 2000RPM. 6th gear ratio is .50 and my diff is 3.42.

I don't think one design is better than the other, just different philosophies.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:51 PM
6MT Snob

Looks pretty low to me and its got a 32v northstar under the hood
Old 04-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

The ultimate future is neither of those

Neither pushrod nor overhead cam engine is the future.

The future is most likely full electromechanical or electrohydraulic valve control, where a computer could control the complete valve profile individually, without needing any timing belt or maybe even without a cam at all. This is in the active research phase among automakers now.

This control would also replace the intake throttle and reduce pumping losses there, like BMW's Valvetronic engines, which are an intermediate step.