Push Button Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Push Button Start

**Not sure if it's in the right place but mods move if it's not.

Like the title said i was skimming the RSX boards and a couple of them have done the push button start ala s200. So I got to thinking the wiring should be the same and wanted to run it by you guys to see how plausable it is. I know the RSX is way simpler than the TSX as we see with Hondata and other aftermarket companys taking there time coming out with different parts. But back to the topic. Would it be simply tap the cig lighter for power and ground run it to a relay ground the relay and ap the power on the ignition and your good to go. Or is there more to go I'm not an electrical engineer by any measure but it seems possible correct me if I'm wrong.

Cliff Notes: Push start button like the s2000 is it possible or not?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Stokeless

I wouldnt even do it. Not worth it. Your car wont start unless the clutch is pushed in anyway. So you still gotta get in the car sit down push in the clutch put your key in then push a button thats one more step to starting your car. I'd rather spend the money on something to make me faster.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Racer

its more complicated than that because of the immoblizer. You wouldnt have to tap the cig lighter because you can use the existing wiring but its alot more complicated...not worth it...sorry
Old 05-27-2005, 12:42 AM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

but its doable, so if you want to do it, make sure to take pics...I'm sure other people would be interested in it as a mod.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Instructor

I'm really interested in installing one too, but also have no electrical skills. I thought it would look great located right next to the "not an ashtray".
Old 05-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Stokeless

You will have to trick the sensor then for the clutch if you want to do it with the clutch not pushed down. But be sure to do it in Neutral if not your car will drive forward and go through a garage door. lol Seen the results of that personally lol.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Although not as bad as a NAV retrofit, this might approach the category of "buy/trade in for the new model with that feature cause in the long run you're better off". I assume in the near future the TSX will have that standard - the technology (or gadget depending on how you look at it) has trickled down to vehicles in the segment.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Well I wouldn't need to worry about the clutch as you can see in my sig...but the immobilizer would complicate things ...I would think the RSX would come with one too but I guess not...but I think you wouldn't have to worry about it since the key would still be turned to the "on" position and its just an extra step instead of that 45 degree turn to start just push the button ...just a toy that has no real purpose other than :blingbling: you would still be able to start with the key or the button
Old 05-27-2005, 12:26 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i modded my tsx so that i cant start my car with the heat warmer buttons
Old 05-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

when i had the s2k... i thought the push button starts was cool but after the 100th time... it got old. had it require no key at all... then it would be awesome
Old 05-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Stokeless

Originally Posted by jiggaman
hahahaha
Old 05-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Master Graphic Artist

His car is a 5AT, no clutch needed.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Instructor

So can someone confirm my suspicions that if you make the button another option to turn over engine that its possible...so the steps would be the same as usual insert and turn but instead of the last 45 degree turn just push the button so would the immobilizer still be a problem...it keeps the security of the key but has that trick feature of pushing the button or turning the key...so is it possible if you just tap into the ignition so it only works when the key is in and turned to "on"
Old 12-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

I done it to a 2001 Prelude I had a few years ago.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:43 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

You'd only need to turn the key to position II, then hit the starter button, assuming you'd done it so the button was effectively paralleled to position III (turnover position).
Been thinking about this a while now, ever since seeing it on the new Euro Civics.
Might make a few enquiries into the starter button for it price wise and so forth. Let you know what I find out.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jiggaman
How would one go about doing this?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 07:50 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gl/honda/civic/5579/2
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I was thinking of doing something like this. Although in my plans, it's a bit more complicated though. Here's the gist of my (dream) plan so far:

A key will be installed so that the immobilizer can be bypassed. Install a bluetooth enabled computer into my car. As soon as my phone gets in range, they'll pair up. (the computer in my bedroom does it...I haven't bothered to unlock the door, but my phone beeps to let me know that it paired itself automatically). Once paired, the computer will unlock the doors. (Remember, you need to establish a PIN code during the first pairing process, so it should only respond to me). After unlocking the doors, I can use a push button start (if I had an auto, maybe I'd even have it remote-start the car after a minute lol).

Only problem I have is finding a computer that won't drain the battery lol. It should be charged when the engine is on, and run on batteries while the car is off. I don't think it's possible for the system to last a couple of days, especially with the bluetooth constantly scanning. Maybe if I could find out how the RL's keyless entry system does it...

As for a push button start...it's possible, although it wouldn't be as simple as you'd hope.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by r33p04s
**Not sure if it's in the right place but mods move if it's not.

Like the title said i was skimming the RSX boards and a couple of them have done the push button start ala s200. So I got to thinking the wiring should be the same and wanted to run it by you guys to see how plausable it is. I know the RSX is way simpler than the TSX as we see with Hondata and other aftermarket companys taking there time coming out with different parts. But back to the topic. Would it be simply tap the cig lighter for power and ground run it to a relay ground the relay and ap the power on the ignition and your good to go. Or is there more to go I'm not an electrical engineer by any measure but it seems possible correct me if I'm wrong.

Cliff Notes: Push start button like the s2000 is it possible or not?

It is possible for Euro r manual 6sp and recently a car was done with Carbon Fibre panel and S2000 push start. Car keys turns twice and press start button. Clutch switch by pass is easy. Ensure immobiliser is not compromised or simply disarm it.

In one thread, Intropsect is the one who did it recently and his is the black mugen really horny one pic on the gallery side but the car is in half way around the world....maybe he could post the pic here for you....
Old 12-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I was thinking of doing something like this. Although in my plans, it's a bit more complicated though. Here's the gist of my (dream) plan so far:

A key will be installed so that the immobilizer can be bypassed. Install a bluetooth enabled computer into my car. As soon as my phone gets in range, they'll pair up. (the computer in my bedroom does it...I haven't bothered to unlock the door, but my phone beeps to let me know that it paired itself automatically). Once paired, the computer will unlock the doors. (Remember, you need to establish a PIN code during the first pairing process, so it should only respond to me). After unlocking the doors, I can use a push button start (if I had an auto, maybe I'd even have it remote-start the car after a minute lol).

Only problem I have is finding a computer that won't drain the battery lol. It should be charged when the engine is on, and run on batteries while the car is off. I don't think it's possible for the system to last a couple of days, especially with the bluetooth constantly scanning. Maybe if I could find out how the RL's keyless entry system does it...

As for a push button start...it's possible, although it wouldn't be as simple as you'd hope.
Damn Socal, thats a pretty good idea. Maybe in a couple years who knows.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Installed in a CIvic

And in a Euro R

P.S.Before anyone gets too excited and ask where to do it...these are locally installed in Singapore on friends cars.

Personally, i think it would be good for those on keyless entry systems...cos if u have to put the key in and turn...might as well turn all the way
Old 12-07-2006, 11:53 AM
No-navi, yo

Originally Posted by CooLeh
Installed in a CIvic

P.S.Before anyone gets too excited and ask where to do it...these are locally installed in Singapore on friends cars.

Personally, i think it would be good for those on keyless entry systems...cos if u have to put the key in and turn...might as well turn all the way
That's ghetto if it became 2-step process to start the car -- 1. put in the key and turn, 2. push the bottom.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BusyShifter
That's ghetto if it became 2-step process to start the car -- 1. put in the key and turn, 2. push the bottom.

But one thing I thought of was, does the ECU read the immobilizer when the key is actually turned to III. If so how would you get the immobilizer on the lock to activate when doing this "pushbutton".

Sounds like the real hurdle in this mod.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by CooLeh
Installed in a CIvic

And in a Euro R

not really feeling it...
Old 12-07-2006, 08:47 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
damn, that civic is ugly as hell. I like the interior but exterior...yuk!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
not really feeling it...
Have to agree.
Don't know whether placement is part of the problem, but the CF (real or imitation) looks completely naff. Totally out of place/sync with the rest of the interior no doubt.
Needs to be much higher up, like the Euro Civic's - not down at knee level.

In answer to your comment about the Civic - to each their own, I guess.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:09 PM
B A N N E D

I just bought one for my 07 mt . I don't mind having to hit the clutch down and put the key in to start it... im too parinoid to NOT have the key... dont want anyone just breaking in and starting her up ya know? I think i'll still use the key but hit up the push button every now and then as a novelty feature.

anyway, i SUCK at electrical stuff. Where should I go to have this put in? A shop? would a stereo shop do it that does car alarms and stuff or should i look for a tuning shop?

also, any sugguestions on WHERE to mount it in the car... i hear the cig lighter is popular, but then i can't charge my radar. You think it'd be possible to get it put in the "not an ashtray" spot with a small black pannel over it?

take a look

push button start
Old 08-05-2007, 05:15 PM
B A N N E D

started another thread about this

here